Another course load question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IHOPness

H. H. Holmes
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Classes start next Monday for us. I currently work full time and volunteer about 4-12 hours a week. How many more credit hours would be considered challenging? My advisor doesn't recommend taking anymore classes, but I want to know what you guys think. Thanks.

My schedule so far:
Chem II
Physics II
Biology II
English II

Members don't see this ad.

Is that 15 hours total? That seems fine as it is to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say it won't be the credit hours, but whether you'll have time to study sufficiently. Bio requires a lot of memorization; chem is basically problems and problems; and physics is like chem but more conceptual (esp. with magnetism). If you are not going to have time, drop one of them.

I would say it won't be the credit hours, but whether you'll have time to study sufficiently. Bio requires a lot of memorization; chem is basically problems and problems; and physics is like chem but more conceptual (esp. with magnetism). If you are not going to have time, drop one of them.

Oh wow! I thought that the course load would have been considered too light. I had AP physics, chem, and biology in HS so classes just seem kind of repetitive. Not that this is a necessarily a bad thing, but it seems like I should be doing more. Magnetism is fun. :)

Oh wow! I thought that the course load would have been considered too light. I had AP physics, chem, and biology in HS so classes just seem kind of repetitive. Not that this is a necessarily a bad thing, but it seems like I should be doing more. Magnetism is fun. :)

High school isn't same as college...Do what you want if you feel confident. But just remember, if you don't do well by overloading yourself and hurting your GPA in prerequisites, don't blame us.

Yeah, 15.

Ok, well 3 sciences at one time *might* be okay if you didn't have a full time job... I'm on the tennis team at my school where I practice 2 hours every day, and the most I've taken is 2 sciences and a math at the same time. It was okay, I guess, but I was pretty stressed out most of the time. But it's really up to you and whether or not you think you can manage your time really well. Are you a first year? Why did you start physics already?

I would be careful about taking 3 labs. I personally had trouble and needed to work abnormally hard for my chem 2 class and physics is more than likely going to also be difficult. Biology 2 was fairly easy.

High school isn't same as college...Do what you want if you feel confident. But just remember, if you don't do well by overloading yourself and hurting your GPA in prerequisites, don't blame us.

I just feel better knowing that I won't be looked down upon for my course load. Gotta keep that GPA up there. :)

My semester's going to be, biopsych, immunology, genetics, advanced anatomy, and a german course. You're probably going to have to get used to 2-3 science classes per semester. If you're good at science and have got your study habits down then it shouldn't be too much of a challenge. If you're struggling in your classes then I would definitely suggest replacing one of the sciences with an easy elective.

My semester's going to be, biopsych, immunology, genetics, advanced anatomy, and a german course. You're probably going to have to get used to 2-3 science classes per semester. If you're good at science and have got your study habits down then it shouldn't be too much of a challenge. If you're struggling in your classes then I would definitely suggest replacing one of the sciences with an easy elective.

with a full time job, any course load is too much if you ask me! I don't know how people manage to work that much and still study, but you have my respect :) good luck, and take it easy if you can, I'd say.

Oh wow! I thought that the course load would have been considered too light.

Working full time eats up a lot of studying time. I'm taking 20 cr next semester (3 labs), but I'm not working so I'm not worried about it at all. If I lost 40 hours of study time each week..I'm not sure how many credits I would take. Heh, I don't want to find out either. Much easier to just focus on school.

with a full time job, any course load is too much if you ask me! I don't know how people manage to work that much and still study, but you have my respect :) good luck, and take it easy if you can, I'd say.
I don't work!! Omgsh, I couldn't manage that. I do have a huge amount of respect for the people out there who manage a full time job while going to school. Lol, the closest thing I come to a job is paid tutoring. I honestly didn't see the OP's "full-time" comment...oops :p I would definitely say that your course load is NOT too light OP.

I work FT also and understand how difficult it can be juggling work and school. Hang in there. It can be done especially if you are a science wiz. Those AP classes should help you in that at least you have seen the material before. Keep focused and good luck! I give you loads of credit! :)

I would never recommend taking more than 2 labs a semester. 3 science courses however along probably aren't going to be that much more difficult than any other upper level class. BTW good luck taking 5 extremely heavy memorization classes. I know I personally would never manage without crying myself to sleep every single night. But that's due to a personal vendeta against anatomy and it's 0 conceptualization.

Last edited:
I'm guessing you've taken the first semseter of these classes? how did that go? or did you AP out of them