Another cry for help (or info) before the rank list closes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SamuraiPanda

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know the rank list closes in two days but I really need some help!

So I'm interested in leaving my home state for Neurology residency but I just can't really get enough info about some programs. I know I want to do a fellowship, and the fellowships I have my eye on are stroke/neurocrit/endovascular. I think one of my most important points for ranking would be if I could get a top tier fellowship (assuming I put the work in during residency) when coming out of the program and I feel (for various reasons) I'd most likely want to do a fellowship outside where I did residency. Is there ANYTHING you guys could share with me about these programs to help make my decision:

- Thomas Jefferson
- Barrow Neurological Institute/St Joseph's
- U of Cincinnati
- USC
- Baylor
- Indiana University

The first 2 on the list are the ones I'm really starving for information on but seriously anything at all about any of these programs could make a pivotal difference for my rank list. I'd really appreciate any help you all could give me.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know much about any of the programs on your list except for Baylor... from what I've heard about their program, it's very strong in neurocritical care. However, the residents did seem incredibly busy, but if you're looking for a place to get a lot of exposure to neuro ICU, I think Baylor would be a good place.

Cincinnati is not my favorite city, but if you're interested in Stroke, going to U of Cincinnati and working with Dan Woo and Joe Broderick could do wonders for a nascent stroke/NCC career. Great academic vascular neurologists and fantastic mentors.

Baylor is a good program too, and if NCC is your thing you could get good exposure and powerful letters from there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seems like everyone knows Baylor is a strong program, and thats great news to hear.

I'm really torn about the city I do residency in, too. I have some other programs like Indiana, Case, and Iowa, but its really the location that is holding me back despite being great programs overall. I'd like to try living in a big city for once so awesome residency programs like Cincinnati make me hesitate to put high...

I interviewed at Jeff too, really liked it, strong clinically, don't know how much basic research you will be able to do. Heard both the prelim year and residency itself are a grind, but will learn loads. They also have their own mini neuro-hospital, with its own ICU, which I thought was amazing/unique...perhaps Neuro is thought of highly among the specialties at Jeff?

I think they see themselves as equals to Penn (which lamentably seems to be having problems keeping its faculty lately)

My friend went to Baylor, he loved the place, but thought the residents are too thinly stretched as they have to cover a lot of hospitals.

Yeah, I definitely liked Jefferson's program while there but was really impressed by Philadelphia more than anything else to be honest. Gorgeous city in my opinion.

I interviewed at Jeff too, really liked it, strong clinically, don't know how much basic research you will be able to do. Heard both the prelim year and residency itself are a grind, but will learn loads. They also have their own mini neuro-hospital, with its own ICU, which I thought was amazing/unique...perhaps Neuro is thought of highly among the specialties at Jeff?

I think they see themselves as equals to Penn (which lamentably seems to be having problems keeping its faculty lately)

My friend went to Baylor, he loved the place, but thought the residents are too thinly stretched as they have to cover a lot of hospitals.

I was a med student at Jeff and personally vouch for their neuro department. The joke amongst the Jeff people is that Jeff and Penn tend to exchange faculty from time to time.

JHN (Jeff Hospital for Neuroscience) is nice and I enjoyed having a "neuro hospital" for my rotations. Not sure on the basic research as well, but you will be quite strong clinically. Neuro is one of the directives at Jeff (read: receives money) so you will be taken care of out there.

The new offices were finished last year, which you got to see on the interview. They used to be consolidated in JHN.

Faculty is quite knowledgeable and really looks out for you. I can't recall any Jeff neuro resident that I didn't like.

Regarding the prelim, it can be rough (have a few friends going through it right now) but there are a lot of pros (i.e. city, faculty, residents, education) that outweigh it.

Philadelphia (particularly the Center City area) is a great place to be. While it is far from home, I would be just as happy if I matched there.

Just think it should be noted that it seems most of the recent faculty turnover at Penn has most likely been due to the recent Chair switch - with changing Chairs it is pretty common for faculty to leave, and then a bunch of new ones to be re-hired (which is happening at Penn now). I really liked the dynamic at Penn when I interviewed there, as I think the new chair is forward-thinking, global in perspective, and excited about expanding the vision of the department. Naturally faculty will leave and others will come to fit this new vision. I found it to be a strength actually. Just thought that should be pointed out...