Another disease!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjl1717

Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was evaluating someone for pain management yesterday.. An approximately 30 year old female mentioned she had "cyclic vomiting syndrome".. At first I thought she meant irritable bowel disease.. The signs/symptoms are vomiting green vomit every minute, perhaps one cup of green vomit..Due to stress and pain from her surgeries.. She already had 7 abdominal surgeries for this..She was on anticholinergics and cholestyramine.. I started her on an Actiq lollipop..
But actually she spent over 25 years to reach this rare diagnosis going to numerous doctors..Finally her G.I. doc had her see a "G.I. guru" at one of the prestigous gastrointestinal hospitals in Philadelphia, Penn for the actual diagnosis.. Reading some of this patients literature the disease is mostly in kids and it was not in the 14th edition of Harrisons..

Moral of the story- Another caveat about this freakin, bloody field.. You can read from now till the cows come home.. Someone can still come to you with a disease you know nothing about. :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

30 year old female mentioned she had "cyclic vomiting syndrome".... The signs/symptoms are vomiting green vomit every minute

Does this mean her head spun around?

I'd put Max von Sydow on speed dial if I were you.

Members don't see this ad :)
sounds like the kid from south park no?