Another diversity essay question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pandaeac

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have some things I was thinking of using for the diversity essay, but, I'm not sure.

1) I played ice hockey as a hobby when I was in HS. For a girl from southern California, this was actually pretty unusual. The only thing is I haven't done this since HS.

2) I belly danced all through college. Again, I haven't done this since college (graduated 4 years ago).

3) Volunteering for people with mental illness and disability. I know that a lot of people will have similar experiences, but, it will show that I've had experience with different kinds of people.

Do any of these sound like good ideas? I'm struggling with this here :(.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I have some things I was thinking of using for the diversity essay, but, I'm not sure.

1) I played ice hockey as a hobby when I was in HS. For a girl from southern California, this was actually pretty unusual. The only thing is I haven't done this since HS.

2) I belly danced all through college. Again, I haven't done this since college (graduated 4 years ago).

3) Volunteering for people with mental illness and disability. I know that a lot of people will have similar experiences, but, it will show that I've had experience with different kinds of people.

1) What do you think your experience *playing ice hockey will bring to your graduating class? What kind of perspective did you gain from the experience that will serve you well as a physician? How might that perspective set you apart from others?

2) see above; *belly dancing

3) see above; *volunteering

How well you can answer those questions determines how "good" they are.

Hi all,

1- sounds kind of cool and interesting. I would pick this one personally. You could make it comical or tie it into women in male dominated medical fields. It can be a larger commentary on gender roles in society and how that will change your perspective as a doctor.

2- I probably wouldn't pick this one. It's a little too risqué. You never know how an adcom would take it. Some might view it as liberated or interesting and others might think it is inappropriate.

3- if you have a new spin or take on the topic, this could also be a good essay. I like this topic as well if you can bring a new level of freshness to it. Clearly working with the mentally ill can really change a future doctors perspective.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you only played ice hockey in HS, can you really discuss the impact it had (especially in terms of diversity it would bring)?

Would not bring up belly dancing. Maybe you could refer to it as dancing in general (although that could be misconstrued in the wrong way as well).

3 is a "strong" activity, and can be relevant for your essay.

All these things sound like they belong in the hobby section, do you have something more powerful than these?

easton-hockey-stick-stealth-rs-grip-sr-50x50.jpg

All these things sound like they belong in the hobby section, do you have something more powerful than these?

easton-hockey-stick-stealth-rs-grip-sr-50x50.jpg

By more powerful, I think he means that hobbies aren't really indicative of the characteristics they want to know about you - that is what can you positively contribute to the medical school community that would enrich the education of your peers and yourself. If you explain why you did these three things and what lessons you learned from it, maybe a different perspective you can offer or being a role model for time management (work-life balance) or others, then these items as well as anything else that can deliver a similar message would be an appropriate response.

Hi all,

A few things:

1. If you did in only in high school, I wouldn't write about it. The general consensus I received when applying is that admissions really only cares about what you did after high school as far as activities.

2. Diversity =/= Uniqueness . You don't need to write about things that are unusual about you to prove that you are diverse or bring diversity. From what I understand, this essay is more about self-awareness, open-mindedness and empathy than it is about being a minority or being gay or having weird hobbies.

If it works, write a brief narrative about some of your activities, and then reflect on them in regards to what perspective you gained from doing them, and how they made you appreciate the journey of and respect the challenges of people unlike yourselves in culture, race, sexuality, upbringing, socioeconomic status, etc. Focus on what you bring to the table as far as perspective and life experiences, and why what you offer is valuable. This is pretty much what my "diversity essay" was about, and ... well ...I got interviews at many of the schools I wrote this essay to.

Would any incoming MS1's or current medical students mind looking over some of my diversity essays for feedback? PM me if you are interested, these essays really suck to write