Another dui question (slightly different)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LookingForAnswers81

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for the response! So, if a school only asks about convictions, and I were to say no, and then explain after the background check, is there ANY potential risk that they could take away my acceptance (even if it is slim, I would really like to know what the ramifications of me not telling them in advance would be)? Or, since they only asked about convictions, they can't take it away from me? The possibility of having an acceptance withdrawn has been giving me restless nights lately. Thanks again, your contribution to this community has benefited me and so many others!
If they don't ask, you don't have to volunteer it.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm sorry for all the questions (and I promise this is my last), and I'm sure you are extremely busy, however, just to be sure, does that mean they cannot take away my acceptance for not volunteering the information (i.e. if you could respond saying "they cannot take away your acceptance for not volunteering the information" my anxiety level would decrease dramatically)? I just want to be clear as possible. Thanks again!
If they don't ask, you are not responsible for telling them.
I only work at one medical school, but in my experience, background checks that reveal things that could have been asked about and were not are the school's oversight, not yours.

If you are confused about the way the question is asked you can call the admissions office to clarify what they want you to disclose.
I have done this for several schools and I am really glad because I have gotten several different answers even when the question is worded the same.

No. We Adcoms were once young and stupid too. It's multiple DUIs that kill both people and medical careers.

1) Is this DUI going to be something that kills my dreams of becoming a doctor?

No
2) Is being too honest going to hurt me?

See 1
3) Anyone ever been in this situation? How did it work out?

See 3. Just use the box on the app form to explain, and own your transgression.
4) Any adcoms on here, would you hold this against me?

It is good that you will have 5 years between the dui and applying to med schools. Yeah look at wording carefully and mention if they ask for charges/arrests. But if they ask for convictions only, you technically don't have to say anything.

I believe the DUI will pop up on screening for residency, or licensing, and the procedure then is to explain what happened.

@mimelim , @gyngyn, am I correct here?

Thanks so much for the response! For schools that don't ask anything more than a conviction, would you recommend still telling them anyway? Thanks again!

I believe the DUI will pop up on screening for residency, or licensing, and the procedure then is to explain what happened.

@mimelim , @gyngyn, am I correct here?
If they only ask about convictions, he is not obligated to respond.
When it pops up on Certiphi it is up to the school to inquire further if they wish.

Reactions: 2 users
But if a school asks about any criminal offense, even if charges were dropped/dismissed, we should disclose the circumstances even if we know it's not on our record?

What exactly comes up on your background check? That you were charged with a crime and found not guilty? Or did you plead no contest and do some kind of probation?

When I was 18, I got a DUI. It was the lowest point of my life, and sent me on a trajectory to better myself as a human being. Because of this, I went from someone ranked at the bottom of their high school class (literally the bottom), to going to a top 5 university (killed it a county college then transferred), volunteer, want to help others, etc.. Now, I'm 22, will be 23 when I apply, have never gotten in trouble since. Grade wise, MCAT, extracurricular, etc. I feel confident about my resume, however, a DUI is obviously a TERRIBLE thing to mention. It was expunged (and in fact I was never convicted), however, it does come up on background checks for whatever reason. Reading other threads, it seems on the AAMC application I should not mention it, however, the truth will prevail at the end (i.e. if I were to be accepted, they will eventually get the background check and see it).

1) I do not want to lie, or come across as being less than honest about my past
2)If I didn't tell the schools at all, I do not want to be accepted somewhere, yet not feel as if I really have been accepted because I have to wait to see how they will react to finding out about the DUI (I would imagine this would be grounds for dismissal? Even if they do not ask for more than a conviction, I still feel like I'm doing some sort of play on words, i.e. being less than honest)

So, reading other threads, people have said something along the lines of "If they ask if you have been convicted, and technically you have not, then do not disclose it." Maybe some people can rest with this on their conscious, but I morally feel that this is wrong, and again, the truth is going to come out anyway, so why risk my acceptance being taken away (which would be worse than not being accepted)?

So, my question is:

1) Is this DUI going to be something that kills my dreams of becoming a doctor?
2) Is being too honest going to hurt me?
3) Anyone ever been in this situation? How did it work out?
4) Any adcoms on here, would you hold this against me?

To answer your questions, no I don't think it will kill your dreams of becoming a doctor, and I don't think being honest would hurt, it might even help. Reading your explanation, it sounds like after the DUI you transformed your life, learned from it, became a better person, didn't get in anymore trouble etc. I think that actually STRENGTHENS your application because it shows that, even at 18 years old you realized you needed to change and truly did.

I have a sort of similar experience. I don't have a DUI, but I was convicted of misdemeanor underage alcohol use at 16 and again at 18...not on the same level as DUI I know, BUT the repeat conviction looks just as bad in my opinion. I informed AAMC and medical schools of both, even though I am fairly certain my minor record is sealed, I was informally deferred but I didn't want to take the chance of it coming up later and looking dishonest. After the 2nd one when I was 18 I similarly learned from it, changed my life, etc and I am 24 and have not had any issues since. I am a little worried about it hurting my chances too, but I think the change of behavior, honesty and length of time passed make a difference. What you do is up to you, but I also felt dishonest about not mentioned the first one when I was 16. I am not adcom, and I am also just an applicant this cycle, so this is my opinion to be taken with a grain of salt. We will have to let each other know how it works out.

Hope I helped in some way.