Another either/or: OHSU or Tulane?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

port or no

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow pre-meds/med students-

I am deciding between these two schools. I know both cities very well, so I would appreciate insights based mostly on curriculum, students, facilities, etc.

Thanks so much. These schools have a lot in common in places that I love, but in places that are so different. Thanks for your help!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Also would be interested to hear which school people think is "better" rank wise, etc.

Also would be interested to hear which school people think is "better" rank wise, etc.

I am assuming your user name means Shreveport or New Orleans, maybe not.

As far as ranking, the consensus around Louisiana is that Tulane is riding the coat tails of the schools success in the 60's and 70's. Most of us would choose LSU-NO or LSU-S over Tulane any day, so vs OHSU I don't know, up to you. Does Tulane produce good clinicians? Yep. Tulane's match list is primarily the Southeast region. So if you want to stay down here go to Tulane. They have a great Tropical Medicine program if you are into that sort of thing. Sorry, not to much help about OHSU.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'd pick OHSU b/c of its USNEWS rank (#4 primary care and 32 research) also..portland is a great city!

OHSU was cool...until they decided to close half their departments and be cry babies.

oops...I mean merge half their departments.

oh and the food sucks at OHSU!

But as others have said...Portland kicks so much *** that it makes up for alot of other stuff.

Are there a lot of HPSP people at Tulane? I saw there was an option of checking that on the secondary app, does that make a difference during the application process?

Sorry about getting off topic.

OHSU, hands down

Tulane's match list is primarily the Southeast region. So if you want to stay down here go to Tulane.

This is completely untrue. Have you seen the match list for Tulane this year?

Judging match lists by their geography can be misleading. I would think that a student attending school in the southeast is more likely to prefer working down there, as opposed to going to school in an area with cold winters like Boston, NYC or Chicago.

Crut: why hands down for OHSU? can you give some of your reasons?

As for match lists: I am constantly getting stuck on this. I don't think that most, or even many of the people who go to Tulane are from the South, but the match list is NOLA/South heavy. Now, this could be that people decided they liked it there, but...maybe the name just does not carry that much weight in the Western half of the US. It seems that Tulane has a strong NE connection, however (lotsa NY Jews like me at undergrad, med, and law programs at Tulane, who end up going back to NY to practice.)

For someone who wants to end up on the West coast eventually, I am a little nervous about going to Tulane for this reason.

touchofgrey.. I personally feel you hit the nail on the head when you say that perhaps once people Are down at tulane they want to stay. the city I think draws you in and I loved living there. in fact looking outside in the crap chicago weather I wish I was there now lol.. weather isn't the only reason for these feelings mind you...