Another GPA can I make it into Dental school thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scottkm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a BS with a GPA of 2.0 60hrs and I have an Associates from a community college with a GPA of 3.5 60 hrs. I want to get into dental school. I don't have any experience in a dental setting. Willing to do whatever it takes including whatever school or work is necessary (I'm pretty sure I need to take a couple of calsses.) What do you think is my best route?

Members don't see this ad.

So I have a BS with a GPA of 2.0 60hrs and I have an Associates from a community college with a GPA of 3.5 60 hrs. I want to get into dental school. I don't have any experience in a dental setting. Willing to do whatever it takes including whatever school or work is necessary (I'm pretty sure I need to take a couple of calsses.) What do you think is my best route?
Was that supposed to be 3.0, or 2.0?

You have to take as many science courses as possible to bring up your overall GPA. Schools want to know that you can handle the course load, so take courses you will see in dental school (and do well in it). Also If you haven't already you have to take Biology 1-3, Chemistry 1-3, and Physics 1-3. Study hardcore for the DAT a high score can get you in...

Members don't see this ad :)
How kind of you to assume that it could have been a typo but sadly no, it is true 2.0, I really didn't know what i wanted to do with my life at that time. A shame.

In your position, I would definitely try to take more classes to raise that GPA. Also study like MAD for the DAT like futuredentist09 recommended. Check the DAT forum for helpful info on that. Best of luck!

Have you taken the pre req classes? If not, I would recommend taking them close together so that you can plan taking the DAT soon after and do well on it. I don't think you can get in a school with a 2.0 gpa. Re take the courses that are pulling you down. OR, you can go into a graduate program and get a very high gpa. Have you started shadowing? Done volunteer work on a regular basis? Don't overwhelm yourself with those things, just plan them often at short period at a time and hours will add up.

Oh, sorry to hear that. I really thought it might have been a typo. I agree with "futuredentist". Try to load up science courses [about 15 semester units] and do your best in them [nothing less than B+]. Retaking the Bio, gchem, and ochem courses would be a good idea too [assuming you have got Cs in them before]. You have need at least two years of hard-work to prove your capabilities. If you do so, then you can explain your poor previous performance in your personal statement, and convince the adcom in some possible ways. Good luck

I have taken most of the prerequisites except any medical stuff (my study was plant sciences). Can I actually raise my GPA post bachelors?

Hey, check this out:
http://www.back2college.com/raisegpa.htm

What you do is, put your current GPA at the top along with your earned credits, then scroll down to the middle calculator.

Put what you would like to raise your GPA too and then select what you think you can maintain in your courses in the future and then click the button and it will tell you how many credit hours it will take you to get to that desired goal.

THEN, on your own, divide that by the total credit hours you assume you will take in a year and that’s how many years it will take you.

For instance, if it came up and said you need to complete 96 credit hours to get to your desired GPA goal and you know you were going to do 24 credit hours per year you just divide 96 by 24, giving you a total of 4. So it would take you 4 years to get to that goal.

I hope all that made sense.

If you want to be competitive with others that are getting in you should shoot for getting your GPA up to the average, or at the minimum, just below the average GPA of the students that did get admitted to Dental School.
Check this out:
http://www.dent.umich.edu/prospective/statistics.html
The average GPA of the students admitted to the University of Michigan Dental School is 3.46. Also note their average DAT scores and shoot for that.

Anyways, I am just starting out myself and can't really give you too much advice; I just thought that stuff would help you.