another help me rank please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rocdweller

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How would you rank the following in terms of reputation and support for someone who would like to do cards or pulm/cc?

NYU
Brown
Einstein-Monte
U. Maryland
UVA
Hopkins-Bayview
Jefferson

Your help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You're not getting much help so far - I'll give you my $0.02.

I don't think there is a way to order these places that is undisputed - every time one person ranks a list one way, the next person comes along and ranks it a completely different way. The question is, knowing what you know about these places, how would you rank them in such a way that they will best help you achieve your career goals? Which one do you think would give you the best support, and the kind of support you need? For example, I needed a rigorous program that was also family friendly to an extent, so I looked for a program that was just that. You need to think about what kind of support you need during residency. Nobody on SDN can answer that question for you.

You could go almost all of those places and come out in good standing to enter a fellowship, assuming you work hard, do research etc... You need to consider for yourself though, which fits you the best.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your response. I understand the nature of the question and I really found many of these programs to be similar in terms of camaraderie and quality of education, which are two criteria with which I was judging programs by. I was just looking for what popular opinion was since one can only get a glimpse of what a program is like from one visit. Thank you though and happy holidays!

Personally, I like UVA the best of the programs you listed - its a great university program, good research, fellowships, etc... and Charlottesville is a beautiful town. As far as quality of education, I don't think you could go wrong; can't say much about camaraderie since I'm not at UVA...Good luck with the decision.

So after much deliberation, my current list of schools that I would rank are (in no particular order):

Michigan
UVA
NYU
Brown
Einstein-Montefiore
Tufts
Yale-Primary Care (only PC I applied to)
Hopkins-Bayview
Case Western

any thoughts on how to rank in terms of prestige and cards fellowships?
appreciate the help. good luck to everyone!

Michigan #1

UVA/NYU 2nd

I really don't know how to rank:
Einstein-Montefiore
Tufts
Case Western
Brown
vs. each other

Would rank lower for cards:
Yale-Primary Care (only PC I applied to)
Hopkins-Bayview (uni affiliated program but not the main "Hopkins" from what I have heard)

Just look @the cardiology match lists for the last couple of years, and examine the faculty (for number of publications, where they did their training, etc.) if you want an eval. of how you may do in fellowship Match coming from a certain program. That doesn't necessarily tell you anything about the education (much) but it can help you predict your future prospects coming from there.

Thanks for your help. Really appreciate it. Just to keep this thread going... anyone else have any thoughts?

Thanks for your help. Really appreciate it. Just to keep this thread going... anyone else have any thoughts?

I actually applied to none of these programs except for Bayview so that's the only one I can talk about. As someone else mentioned, its smaller than the main JHH hospital, and most of the basic rotations are done at Bayview. However, the residents do get to go over to the main hospital for electives. In addition, I think the Hopkins faculty is divided between the "downtown" hospital and Bayview so you get to work with some really great teachers, get hooked into research, and have awesome mentorship. I think Dr. Z at Bayview really guides his housestaff and he can def help if you're interested in Cards. I know that for the last few years there's been at least one housestaff from Bayview that's matched into JHH for cards and pulm/cc....

Bayview's fellowship placement:
http://www.hopkinsbayview.org/medicine/residency/lifeafterresidency.html
I actually applied to none of these programs except for Bayview so that's the only one I can talk about. As someone else mentioned, its smaller than the main JHH hospital, and most of the basic rotations are done at Bayview. However, the residents do get to go over to the main hospital for electives. In addition, I think the Hopkins faculty is divided between the "downtown" hospital and Bayview so you get to work with some really great teachers, get hooked into research, and have awesome mentorship. I think Dr. Z at Bayview really guides his housestaff and he can def help if you're interested in Cards. I know that for the last few years there's been at least one housestaff from Bayview that's matched into JHH for cards and pulm/cc....