1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Another interesting TIME mag cover story

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by NineSixteen, Apr 23, 2002.

1. NineSixteen

NineSixteen Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    First the article about high power career women and child bearing issues, now this week's cover story is about the pros and cons (but mostly CONS) of clinical trials. Did anyone see it? I think it is interesting, and brings up some good points, but casts a very negative shadow on clinical research. We've come a long way since the Tuskegee trials, and I agree that the regulation and constant re-evaluation should never stop, but accidents do occur, doctors are human, and patients themselves have to weight the risk/benefit ratio when deciding to enroll in trials. I think that there are some docs with conflicts of interest and some drug companies out to make a buck, but most clinical research is good, honest and vitally important work. The article states all of this, but the title is HUMAN GUINEA PIGS and the picture of a woman in a hospital gown in a cage is the take-home message the general public will get and it's very negative. Just my opinion, anyone else have thoughts?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. lyle

lyle Member
    7+ Year Member

one other quick mag. story: US News and World Report has a story out about the new wave of primary care doctors and how they are more like the door-to-door, black bag doctors of the past....my parents are sending it to me in the mail....so all you future primary care people out there, check it out!

4. appomattox

appomattox Member
    7+ Year Member

Here's the US News link:

<a href="http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/020422/health/22doctors.htm" target="_blank">web page</a>

5. oldman

oldman Senior Citizen
    Gold Donor 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by lyle:
    <strong>one other quick mag. story: US News and World Report has a story out about the new wave of primary care doctors and how they are more like the door-to-door, black bag doctors of the past....my parents are sending it to me in the mail....so all you future primary care people out there, check it out!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">i read that article. it was very interesting.

6. Green912

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I haven't seen the cover but it sounds like a marketing ploy. Anything to sell more.

7. hawkeyes

hawkeyes Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I haven't seen the cover, but as described, I think it is absolutely AWFUL. It'll generate a response, to be sure, which will be an extremely negative one. I haven't yet read the article, but I agree with the original poster. Patients do have the responsibility to weigh the R/B and choose for themselves with informed consent. Doctors much have integrity. It boils down to that. But no media organization should make such sweeping generalizations, especially ones that have ramifications such as these. I need to find myself that article now. Thanks for the post!

8. Jamier2

Jamier2 SDN Hillbilly Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

I'm moving this to the Everyone forum, as it crosses the MD/DO lines, and is applicable to physicians (both current and future ones) of either persuasion.