another interview dress code request

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by nichols195, Nov 17, 2002.

1. nichols195

nichols195 Member

for the dudes
    is it appropriate to bring a messenger bag or a briefcase? i figure i shouldnt walk in empty handed...i dont know what is appropriate to use inconjunction with a suit....is a messenger back alright? any info would be helpful...first interview is in a week

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. arsh

arsh Member

I (I am male) personally like to bring a fancy leather portfolio with my school's insignia on it. I am sure you could buy one from your school for under $50. I have also seen people who have had to travel bring their entire suitcase or whatever and leave it with admissions. A few guys bring those bags that have straps, I guess that they are called messenger bags. I also saw one kid with a jansport backpack (I would not advise that though).

4. jot

jot

they always give you a folder - i hate carrying so much crap around with me. i used to carry a pokemon trapper keeper, but i just go empty handed now.;)

-jot

5. All-Star14

All-Star14 Wants to Rock Wit U

I'm not a guy, but arsh mentioned a great idea about the leather portfolio. A black messenger bag would also be a great accessory to have in your possession while you're interviewing (to hold your personal copy of your application, a notepad for taking down names for thank-you letters, and stuff like that). Leather always looks nice, but the messenger bag doesn't necessarily have to be leather (as long as it's black). But I will say this--I've yet to see male interviewees at my undergrad's med school carry anything with them (so it's totally acceptable to come empty-handed, I suppose).

6. This is a good thread, as my first interview is this Thursday.

So should I bring the leather portfolio or should I come empty handed?

7. vivekap2007

vivekap2007 cowtown indo hornet

I would go with the leather portfolio since you said you don't wanna go empty handed. They will give you a folder but there probably won't be much blank paper in there to write stuff down (or doodle) Good luck!

8. nichols195

nichols195 Member

portfolio it will be!
    wait, why bring a leather portfolio when you can bring a Trapper Keeper?