Another knock on DOs...lol.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

matteaton81

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My dad is a medical technologist at our local small-town hospital. The other day, he had to access the hospital's list of doctors for some reason (I can't remember exactly why, but anyway). The people who had made the list were obviously unaware of what an osteopath is, and just figured they were the doctor's middle initials, lol. So some entries on the list read like, "John D.O. Smith, M.D." LOL...it frustrates me, don't get me wrong, but it also makes we laugh at how stupid people are.

Members don't see this ad.

I have to strongly and disrepectfully disagree with that sentiment. There was a point in all of our lives when we did not know what a DO was. Should I be pissed at you if you didn't know the inner workings of the PSD of a Prius?

That's not ignorance, it's just a lack of knowledge.

I am going to be starting med school this summer at Pikeville. I myself have done some research, and even I am not totally sure what a D.O. is. At first I was like, okay, I understand the hollistic approach, but then I was told that is more of a historical definition and is less applicable to the D.O.s of today. So I'm like, okay, I guess D.O.s place more emphasis on preventive medicine. But that's not necessarily true either, because M.D.s are emphasizing it more as well. So then I'm like, well I guess D.O.s stay in rural mountain areas, but no, turns out there are alot of D.O.s on the west coast. Do D.O.'s know more about bone structure? Maybe, but then why are there still more M.D.s doing orthopedics?

If, D.O. = M.D., like many posters on here have indicated, then why is there a distinction? If I can score well on the boards and land a competitive specialty as a D.O., then in my view there is no differerence between the two.

Members don't see this ad :)
priu said:
I have to strongly and disrepectfully disagree with that sentiment. There was a point in all of our lives when we did not know what a DO was. Should I be pissed at you if you didn't know the inner workings of the PSD of a Prius?

That's not ignorance, it's just a lack of knowledge.

okay, gotta be a rude word person here, but ignorance means lack of knowledge. so, yeah, it is ignorance. being ignorant is not necessarily a horrible thing. being willfully ignorant's bad, but we're all ignorant about some subjects.

matteaton81 said:
If, D.O. = M.D., like many posters on here have indicated, then why is there a distinction? If I can score well on the boards and land a competitive specialty as a D.O., then in my view there is no differerence between the two.
Simple answer to your question: neither the posters here nor your opinions define what a DO is or isn't.

beastmaster said:
Simple answer to your question: neither the posters here nor your opinions define what a DO is or isn't.

Then what does, pray tell?

exlawgrrl said:
okay, gotta be a rude word person here, but ignorance means lack of knowledge. so, yeah, it is ignorance. being ignorant is not necessarily a horrible thing. being willfully ignorant's bad, but we're all ignorant about some subjects.

I'm not a fan of ignorant people.

I'm not sure how ignorance is anything other than a negative connotation.

matteaton81 said:
My dad is a medical technologist at our local small-town hospital. The other day, he had to access the hospital's list of doctors for some reason (I can't remember exactly why, but anyway). The people who had made the list were obviously unaware of what an osteopath is, and just figured they were the doctor's middle initials, lol. So some entries on the list read like, "John D.O. Smith, M.D." LOL...it frustrates me, don't get me wrong, but it also makes we laugh at how stupid people are.
That's great! :laugh:

OSUdoc08 said:
I'm not a fan of ignorant people.

I'm not sure how ignorance is anything other than a negative connotation.

Ignorance is bliss.

exlawgrrl said:

Ignorance = lack of knowledge

Pointing out that fact doesn't mean you're rude.

Actually, I think most cities (not towns) in the U.S. now have at least heard the term "D.O.", even if they don't know that D.O.s enjoy the same rights to practice as M.D.s do.

Personally, I am beginning to think that the competitive specialties out there are just as hard to get if you're in Allopathic school, and the D.O. thing has a lot less to do with it. For example, in a recent graduating class of like 103 people that got out of the UK College of Medicine, only 1 or 2 got Derm.

A simple phrase: "You can't spell DOctor, without DO!" Corny, but simple.

matteaton81 said:
Actually, I think most cities (not towns) in the U.S. now have at least heard the term "D.O.", even if they don't know that D.O.s enjoy the same rights to practice as M.D.s do.

Personally, I am beginning to think that the competitive specialties out there are just as hard to get if you're in Allopathic school, and the D.O. thing has a lot less to do with it. For example, in a recent graduating class of like 103 people that got out of the UK College of Medicine, only 1 or 2 got Derm.

I suppose all 103 graduates were gunning for derm?