Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Another Letter of Rec thread

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by Cju101, May 2, 2007.

1. Cju101

Pharmacy Student
  2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. nerv12345

nerv12345 ...
    Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacy Student
    there's nothing wrong w/ asking that. ask them now so that they have a good month to write it...i'm sure they are very busy and won't be able to write it all at once (with final grades etc)

go back to them a couple of days before june 1st and remind them to send them out on june 1st

4. Farmercyst

Farmercyst On with the Poodles already
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacist
    If they are in a core science class they probably write LORs for any number of pre-meds, dents and pharms anyway. They may actually know more about it than you do. There's nothing wrong with saying I need an LOR I'll have pharmcas email you the particulars on/after June 1. (Maybe worded a little more eloquently)

5. Lurkerkat

Lurkerkat Junior Member

Pharmacist
    They'll understand, just explain how PharmCAS works and that they can't submit until June. They'll also appreciate you giving them tons of time to prepare the letter too. Right now your profs are probably more worried about beating the deadlines and grading finals/term papers so they'll be fine with having to wait until June.

6. binghamkid

Moderator Emeritus

It's also a great idea to make a LOR packet for your writers. They will appreciate having an organized packet that they can reference for timeline, stuff to write about, as well as an addressed stamped envelope.

Things you should include:

Resume
    Personal statement
    List of items you wish for the writer to emphasize
    Envelope (stamped and addressed - typed preferably)
    Thank you letter
    Cover sheet with important information - deadlines, ID info like SSN or Pharmcas # if the school or application requires it

You might think this is all unnecessary, but I'll tell you it made a HUGE difference for me. Every letter I asked for had every item I asked for emphasis in it...it makes each letter sound more substantial and meaningful.

By the way, there are some professors out there that may ask you to write the letter for them. I would STRONGLY recommend AGAINST it. Your writing style is very hard to break, and unless you're a superb writer, it will be evident that your letter is NOT professor/professional level. In such cases, it's a good idea to offer them a list of guide points. They will usually write the letter if you explain that you don't feel comfortable writing about yourself.

Note this only works if you KNOW your LOR writer. If you're asking a random professor for a generic letter, don't bother. I actually wouldn't even bother asking a professor for a letter unless 1) you've demonstrated significant contributions in the course (i.e. a seminar-based course, or going to office hours like every week and really mastering the material) or 2) you know the professor through an extended relationship (i.e., volunteer work or research). Weak letters are a dime a dozen and they just waste a slot. Make each of your letters count. I've heard of Adcoms receiving letters from professors and deans with the words "I don't know this person at all." Death sentence for your application, if you get my meaning.