1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Another Letter of Recc Question

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Giggles411, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Giggles411

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi all,
    I graduated in 2005 and I'm now applying to Medical school this June. Back when I was a 2nd year in Undergrad, I got a letter from a Professor, but it's dated 2003. Is that considered outdated or do you guys think I can still use it. I have a feeling it's most likely a strong letter. I also can't contact her and ask her to change the date because she retired last year. Do you guys think I should use it or just toss it for a more recently dated letter?
    Thanks! :hardy:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. bbabul01

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'd only use it as a last ditch option. If you can find 5 other quality letters, use those. If not, use the old one. Just be sure there is a reason you're using it. Make sure it says something really unique about you that someone else hasn't noted in the more recent 4 years.

4. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California
    Moderator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Toss it. I'd submit an LOR that's already a year out of date after some hesitation, but after four years? No. Too old.

5. Kraazy

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    MD/PhD Student
    If you can get other good letters, forget about this one. Otherwise, I'm sure there's a way you can contact her and get her to update the letter (not just change the date, but add a little bit about what you've been up to lately). Google is a powerful tool...