DocP

10+ Year Member
May 29, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Yup, another question regarding waiving your rights. I have read all the relevant threads and know that the general consensus advises that it is best.

However, my concern is this - I did not match in the last cycle. At the time, I had waived half of my letters and not waived the other half. This became a problem after the Match when I was looking for an off-cycle position and only had 2 letters in hand.

I am terrified that the same situation is going to recur (obviously hope not at this point). I am an IMG and therefore have no dean's office in which to file my waived letters. What should I do? Is it going to make or break me to not waive my rights?

WhoisJohnGalt

NYC Psychiatrist
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 27, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Yup, another question regarding waiving your rights. I have read all the relevant threads and know that the general consensus advises that it is best.

However, my concern is this - I did not match in the last cycle. At the time, I had waived half of my letters and not waived the other half. This became a problem after the Match when I was looking for an off-cycle position and only had 2 letters in hand.

I am terrified that the same situation is going to recur (obviously hope not at this point). I am an IMG and therefore have no dean's office in which to file my waived letters. What should I do? Is it going to make or break me to not waive my rights?
What happened to the letters you waived last time? Who were they sent to?

sade

Primary care on my mind
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2007
US of America
Status
Resident [Any Field]
DocP

You are very lucky this year as ERAS has made some changes. As long you had assigned your waived LOR's last year to programs once you log onto Myeras your previously assigned LOR's will be uploaded to your Post office as well as your Transcript , MSPE.

You are termed an " ERAS 2010 repeat applicant" you can read more here;
http://www.ecfmg.org/eras/repeat.html

best of luck .

aProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
10+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
You cannot "unwaive" your right to read a letter. If you waived your right, the letter stays that way. Your only solution is to seek some additional letters now, and hold them in hand in case the scramble becomes necessary.

OP
D

DocP

10+ Year Member
May 29, 2008
Status
Medical Student
You cannot "unwaive" your right to read a letter. If you waived your right, the letter stays that way. Your only solution is to seek some additional letters now, and hold them in hand in case the scramble becomes necessary.
Hi yes, I realize this - my question was not whether I could "unwaive" previous letters. I will be obtaining new letters and I was asking for advice on whether or not I should waive my rights this time due to my experience in the last Match. How much weight do waived letters carry?

---
WhoIsJohnGalt - My letters were submitted to ECFMG.
sade - Thank you! I hadn't realized.

medsRus

10+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2008
Status
Hi yes, I realize this - my question was not whether I could "unwaive" previous letters. I will be obtaining new letters and I was asking for advice on whether or not I should waive my rights this time due to my experience in the last Match. How much weight do waived letters carry?

---
WhoIsJohnGalt - My letters were submitted to ECFMG.
sade - Thank you! I hadn't realized.
Just get the damn letters and send them in... They don't really care to much on waive or not, as long as the letters are legit and have good things to say.

OP
D

DocP

10+ Year Member
May 29, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Thank you for all your responses :)! I think waiving my rights is the best way to go ..