another lor question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osar92

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
To those of you that have applied already:

have any med schools tried to contact the people that wrote recommendation letters for you?

the reason that i am asking is that I had a professor write me a letter last year, but he has since left our school and I dont have his new contact information (like address or phone #) in case a school did for some reason want to track him down.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If any schools contacted my LOR writers, I am not aware of it.

I had a prof retire before I applied - I indcated his status on the LOR cover sheet and gave the college's chemistry department contact info for reference (as I was sure he didn't want me giving out his home address).

Some med schools do spot check LORs, and last year I read an article (I believe it was in the Chronicle of Higher Education) about how California schools are starting to check every single undergraduate LOR because they had discovered quite a few falsified recs. I bet their med schools won't be far behind.

If your professor has moved to another academic position, ask his former department for his current office address (they should be happy to supply this) and include that with the LOR. If he's retired, then I like Ironey's idea of indicating that and including contact info from his former department.