Another Low grades what should i do i am going to die post - need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gotcha!

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I lurk here alot and I have noted al the posts about people with low grades...I've realized that i have low grades - but I figured it could make up for it.
Basically, I took chemistry, (took both levels twice) and calculus and didn't pass them the first tiime around.
THe 2nd time i took the courses I passed them but did just that pass them (except for Calculus, B+ in that).

Have you heard of people actually being able to get in with grades like THESE - I mean i don't want to keep kidding myself here.
I have been doing beter, nothing to write home about, but nothing to reallly seal the coffin if this hasn't already. (b's, occasional a and c)

Basically - My GPA is not high, i was counting on staying extra at school and raising it with upper divisions, doing a lot of extracurriculars (I already do that - but even more so) im a juinor now- is going up..but still

I feel like I have the ability but ...SOMETHING was keeping me, and in some ways still is ...dunno what..

Anyways, any advice ?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

hey man, you have a pretty tough spot. adcoms don't like it when you retake a class and don't do considerbly better. I mean I'm not sure if just passing a class will cut it. I would maybe try to change study habits or something? I've never heard of someone getting in after "passing classes" but then again there a lot of people out there. I know many people that have had the same situation and did a post bac program but has to do extremely well. depending on what point in education you are, maybe you can change and see an upward trend? gluck. remember it's not a question of it, but rather when, if you're committed.

someone is bound to say it sooner or later so I'll just say it now: kick ass on the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gotcha! said:
Hi,

I lurk here alot and I have noted al the posts about people with low grades...I've realized that i have low grades - but I figured it could make up for it.
Basically, I took chemistry, (took both levels twice) and calculus and didn't pass them the first tiime around.
THe 2nd time i took the courses I passed them but did just that pass them (except for Calculus, B+ in that).

Have you heard of people actually being able to get in with grades like THESE - I mean i don't want to keep kidding myself here.
I have been doing beter, nothing to write home about, but nothing to reallly seal the coffin if this hasn't already. (b's, occasional a and c)

Basically - My GPA is not high, i was counting on staying extra at school and raising it with upper divisions, doing a lot of extracurriculars (I already do that - but even more so) im a juinor now- is going up..but still

I feel like I have the ability but ...SOMETHING was keeping me, and in some ways still is ...dunno what..

Anyways, any advice ?
Thanks.

is there a pre med advisor? he/she should be your best hope.

Gotcha! said:
Hi,

Anyways, any advice ?
Thanks.

by the way, even if you are joking, you should not say you are going to die over grades. You can always become something else and be more successful.
Nixon failed the FBI test. Bush and FDR were C students. so even if your low grades do not get you into medical schools, have hope

Without Wax said:
by the way, even if you are joking, you should not say you are going to die over grades. You can always become something else and be more successful.
Nixon failed the FBI test. Bush and FDR were C students. so even if your low grades do not get you into medical schools, have hope

Thanks for the kind words and advice all.
i've talked to one, they recommended I get ready to do a Post-Bac after this if I realy want to up my chances - better yet start acing classes as much as I can.

So yeah, I think I am rightfully concerned, but you guys are right, I probably should try to make the best of a bad situation.

Gotcha! said:
Hi,

Anyways, any advice ?
Thanks.

I feel for you. I know what it is like to not live up to your potential. Just take a few courses, work on acing those, then maybe take an extra the next semester. Work, bite, claw and do whatever necessary to get an A for your courses. You gotta want it even if it means spending 17 hours at a library then so be it, you may not enjoy that experience but you'll enjoy yourself when you get into a med school. Also, study hard for the MCAT. Take my advice because I'm kind of in the same situation though not as bad, and I have to work my ass off this semester.

Without Wax said:

Nixon was also corrupt and Bush is a *****.

Sorry, but I don't think that you'll be able to be accepted with fails in multiple science courses. If you're really motivated, do what you can to prove that you can handle a tough science curriculum by doing a post bac, but even then your chances will likely still be low. I assume that we're talkin about an overall science GPA in the low 2.0 range. Unfortunately, no ECs will make up for this; make sure you don't fall in the trap of sacrificing further grades by overextending yourself with ECs.
I wish you the best. :luck:

My overall GPA is in the ~2.7ish range...but my science, like you all noted is what worries me.

Maby you are right, and I probably have little or no chance at this...

I'm just not sure if I should accept defeat before i feel like i've fought or what.

Anyone else got more advice? or are people totally ignoring this cause they agree with San diego said.

flyingillini said:
Nixon was also corrupt and Bush is a *****.

Public office is an extremely demanding and difficult job. Nixon got into some trouble, yes, but you can hardly call Bush a ***** because he has a bit of trouble with public speaking. I have heard reports from the inside and people are amazed at GW's intelligence. You can't take everything at face value.

Gotcha! said:
Anyone else got more advice? or are people totally ignoring this cause they agree with San diego said.

ask your premed advisor, first, he/she knows best

dental or nursing could be an option for you. Dentists make more money than doctors

Members don't see this ad :)
Megalofyia said:
So .. i did kind of poorly in undergrad (about a 2.7 or 2.8).. but then i made a 3.9 grad GPA.. i have a 28 MCAT.. which isnt' great but ok.. I have over 10000,yes that number is right, volunteer hours.. 4 years of research..I have LORs from incredibly well known physicians and professors.. they make me sound like I can walk on water and cure AIDs.. I have done stuff with medical groups in Mexico and in other countries..I know two languages.. I'm a URM.. I applied to 20 schools last year.. ended up with 12 interviews and 10 waitlists.. i had ZERO acceptances.. not to make your nervous or anything.. but grades are REALLY pretty damn important..

I hear ya on that one - that sucks a lot.

What did you do grad studies in? Do they take that into account a lot?

I basically just don't want to 'waste my time' - and continue on this track and just get a nice big fat dissapointment - i mean I am on an upward trend but it's not a steep enough one (yet)...

Oh well, I will talk to my advisor - thanks all.

I also flunked some core science classes. Physics to be specific. I failed both physics I and II twice, and ended up with barely passing both. My ECs consist mostly of marginal experience in research and volunteer work. I currently work with underpriviledge children. I applied to and interviewed with some of the top schools in the country, and asked point blank what my chances were having a few F's on my transcripts. They all say it hurts my application. That being said, so far I received an acceptance letter from UT-Dallas with a merit based scholarship and it's only February (most of my interviews are in Jan/Feb). So is it possible to get into med school with a few F's? Hell YES!!! :luck: Good luck and keep your head up!

(Never underestimate the impact of taking a year or two off after undergrad. A lot of schools are now moving towards prefering students who've been out in the "real world" for a while.)

Megalofyia said:
So .. i did kind of poorly in undergrad (about a 2.7 or 2.8).. but then i made a 3.9 grad GPA.. i have a 28 MCAT.. which isnt' great but ok.. I have over 10000,yes that number is right, volunteer hours.. 4 years of research..I have LORs from incredibly well known physicians and professors.. they make me sound like I can walk on water and cure AIDs.. I have done stuff with medical groups in Mexico and in other countries..I know two languages.. I'm a URM.. I applied to 20 schools last year.. ended up with 12 interviews and 10 waitlists.. i had ZERO acceptances.. not to make your nervous or anything.. but grades are REALLY pretty damn important..

On another thread you said:
"Your pretty much f ucking screwed.. I made an 11 on my vr.. and last year I had 10 waitlists and didn't get ONE acceptance.. this year I've only had one fcuking interview and I was waitlisted again. We aren't even talking top ten here.. BU, Iowa, Drexel, Creighton, Wake Forest, UTHSCSA etc..
You think I'm kidding and only playing into the OP..?? I'm not."

then don't blame it on your your verbal score; it was defintely your GPA. I can't stand how people give out false information under the guise of trying to help someone else.

I'm just curious why you didn't do well in the classes? Is it because it was just really difficult and you couldn't keep up, or was it because you had bad time managment, or didnt apply yourself?

Megalofyia said:

What a vote of confidence! I'm sorry that you didn't do as well as you would've liked in undergrad and I'm sorry that you have a stack of rejection letters. However, I don't the OP is in a situation that is quite as severe as yours.

To the OP: I think other posters will back me up on this one. Do a POST-BACC program. When you're in the post-bacc, you'll need to do exceptionally well in the courses to prove that you can handle a load of science classes and hold your own. As for taking classes over, you should do that only if you have scored <C- in a course. For AMCAS purposes, the two grades will be averaged so the lower grade's impact on your GPA will be softened. Also, you will need to NAIL the MCAT exam. So make sure you study extra hard for the MCAT because you're really going to have to pull that score as high as you possibly can.

Whatever you choose to do, I wish you the best of luck. Don't let other people discourage you from doing what you're passionate about or what gives you a sense of fulfillment. There will always be detractors telling you, "I don't think you're cut out for this" or "Maybe you should go into dentistry!" Regardless of what they say or whatever justifications they conconct, pay no attention to them and focus on achieving your goals. If you feel that medicine is for you and that you have the potential to be an MD, then it's just a question of putting in the hours at the library and pulling it off. Keep your head up bro.

As for why I didn't do well, I really had no conception of how to study properly - or what college meant my freshman year, and did bad in the two classes the same quarter. I was messing around too much and had no focus - didn't know i wanted to pursue this path.
I messed up once more badly later on in chemistry, and that was for similar reasons, although less excusable. Nonetheless, I wasn't attending class, wasn't studying all that much , and flat out didn't really apply myself.

I feel that I have the potential to do this, despite these setbacks, but all of this has definetly been a hard lesson learned...

Im thinking along the lines of the most recent set of posters, and want to continue to pursue this - it just feels right and i really can't imagine it any other way. May be that this will be a bad thing if my plans are shattered, but at this point, im going to cross that bridge when I come to it.

Thanks again all.

Then worry not, you'll do what it takes, I'm sure.

Good luck!

Megalofyia said:
But I thought that you *did* walk on water??? :confused:

To the OP: What she said. Believe it.

Gotcha! said:
As for why I didn't do well, I really had no conception of how to study properly - or what college meant my freshman year, and did bad in the two classes the same quarter. I was messing around too much and had no focus - didn't know i wanted to pursue this path.
I messed up once more badly later on in chemistry, and that was for similar reasons, although less excusable. Nonetheless, I wasn't attending class, wasn't studying all that much , and flat out didn't really apply myself.

I feel that I have the potential to do this, despite these setbacks, but all of this has definetly been a hard lesson learned...

Im thinking along the lines of the most recent set of posters, and want to continue to pursue this - it just feels right and i really can't imagine it any other way. May be that this will be a bad thing if my plans are shattered, but at this point, im going to cross that bridge when I come to it.

Thanks again all.

Hey, I'm a sophomore right now and my GPA sucked freshman year. I transferred schools and now I'm kicking ass... I realized that the large classes (I went to Boston Univ) and the lack of individualized attention wasn't my cup of tea. I wasn't learning much and was so distracted with everything around me.
Although I have that major drawback on my transcript(s) I'm still aiming for Med school, and so should you if you're really interested in it. As some Winston Churchill once said, "Never never never give up."
I'm actually thinking of taking some time off after undergrad and possibly interning or doing something research-based. I heard that Med schools like that sort of thing...
So basically I'm in the same boat as you are. Best of luck to you and just know that there are a few people out there in this same situation. :)
~S~

I sympathize with you all. Admissions committees seem very tough on low undergrad gpa's no matter what else you do. I can understand where they're coming from but It's also very frustrating. I'm struggling through my second time around now with a 3.0 science gpa and 3.2 cumulative from my undergrad at harvard. I didn't fail any classes I just got mostly b's with a few a-,c+'s all 4 years. Very regrettably in hindsight, (I'm 3 years out) grades just were not the priority they should have been. I've taken the MCATs twice now (they expired) getting a 39 and a 38. I thought the rest of my application was pretty well rounded - full time research since graduating incl. publications, 2 first author, extensive community service and an honors thesis as an undergrad, part time clinical work1.5 yr, and straight a's in post bacc night courses over the past 1.5yr... yet schools are very reluctant to interview me. No acceptances out of 23 applications on my first try and none yet so far this time. If anyone has successfully made up for bad grades I'd love to hear how. Did any of you who have applied address the grade issue directly in your AMCAS essay, or try to save it for interviews? Best of luck