Another Military to Medicine...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thatfrickekid

OChem should die.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been reading the forum for almost a year and decided it was time to leave the protective bubble of the interweb and introduce myself.

I spent six years on active duty in the Air Force (I know there are several proud Marines on this site so I'm prepared to receive plenty of "girl scout" jokes :laugh:)

It took me a couple years to come full-circle and figure out what to do but I'm finally on track. I've finished one year of UG in biochem and got offered a position as a research assistant...blah blah blah.

What I'd really like is to get in touch with other military to medical folks...

Cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been reading the forum for almost a year and decided it was time to leave the protective bubble of the interweb and introduce myself.

I spent six years on active duty in the Air Force (I know there are several proud Marines on this site so I'm prepared to receive plenty of "girl scout" jokes :laugh:)

It took me a couple years to come full-circle and figure out what to do but I'm finally on track. I've finished one year of UG in biochem and got offered a position as a research assistant...blah blah blah.

Cheers.

Nothing to joke about here, you served, and for that I give you a semper fi. Good luck

PD

When I got of the Marines I was actually going to join the flyboy reserves, I mean airforce reserves to become a load master or flight engineer. I basically just wanted to travel all over, but not have to dedicate a lot of my time like I did in Marines so I could knock out school. Didn't work out anyway, I was involuntarily recalled for a year back to uncle sams misguided childrens group.

It's all good man, chase your dreams!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Frickekid,

Any specific questions?? I spent 4 years as a medic with the 75th Ranger Regiment and am in the process of applying to med school right now.....its a bit tricky, but so far I've received nothing but open hands for people who have gone out of their way to help.

Let us know if there's anything we can help you with......besides, you guys always seemed to show up at the right time when we needed a ride HAHAHAHAHAHA

Thank you. The warm welcome is appreciated!

Hey Frickekid,

Any specific questions?? I spent 4 years as a medic with the 75th Ranger Regiment and am in the process of applying to med school right now.....its a bit tricky, but so far I've received nothing but open hands for people who have gone out of their way to help.

Let us know if there's anything we can help you with......besides, you guys always seemed to show up at the right time when we needed a ride HAHAHAHAHAHA

I suppose we did manage to show up shortly after the work was done :laugh:

Hey there,

I just commissioned into the air force, starting active duty as a space and missiles officer in august. I'm looking to apply to med school in about 2012, because I have exactly zero pre-reqs done, despite just graduating college, hehe. Poor planning! Anyways, I'm right there with ya'! And when it comes to applying to med school, I think all the military kids here, regardless if their mantra is hooah, air power or semper fi, we're in this together!

blue skies!

I saw it from both sides of the house. I did 4 years active duty in the Marines then crossed over to the AF Reserves and I fly C-17s out of March in SoCal. I was a full time reservist last year and decided to finally take the plunge and go back to school full time. Moved to Chicago temporarily to spend more time with parents and took the opportunity to jump back in the classroom. I'll be done with my prereqs this fall, Mcat in the spring, then apply next june. People think I'm nuts for attempting med school but I'm excited for this new journey!! Anyways I enjoy seeing so many other military to medicine folks out here and hopefully see you guys in the classroom in a few years!!

Hey there,

I just commissioned into the air force, starting active duty as a space and missiles officer in august. I'm looking to apply to med school in about 2012, because I have exactly zero pre-reqs done, despite just graduating college, hehe. Poor planning! Anyways, I'm right there with ya'! And when it comes to applying to med school, I think all the military kids here, regardless if their mantra is hooah, air power or semper fi, we're in this together!

blue skies!

Space and missiles to medicine? I smell fun interview stories in your future...:D

Cheers.

I'm in the same boat as you, buddy. I was in the Nav for a while, but now at Berkeley. Still working on the prereqs though.

Looks like I'll miss out on the whole new GI Bill. Oh well, it's long overdue.

I'm in the same boat as you, buddy. I was in the Nav for a while, but now at Berkeley. Still working on the prereqs though.

Looks like I'll miss out on the whole new GI Bill. Oh well, it's long overdue.

Well...being six figures in debt is part of the game maybe? :laugh:

Two years in the USAF so far, Missiles Officer by trade. May be "retired" for migraines here directly, but whenever I'm out, applying for med school soon thereafter!

- John

Prior USAF Security Forces here (10th SFS, USAFA). Served my time, starting med school in August, going back into the military (Navy) as a doc. Welcome, and I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have that I can.

Hi there, I've been reading posts on this site for days now... I just found out about USUHS, and am very excited at the prospect of getting my PhD. I am AD AF, my husband is as well, we are in Guam right now at Andersen. I joined the AF to pay for school to be a Psychologist, but didn't really know how to make it happen. I have been in almost 5 years now, and still have a year left on my bachelors. I was starting to go nuts with how long it has taken me to get my degree, I had been contemplaiting going guard so I could go to school full time.
:soexcited:
Soooo, now I am very excited about the ability to go to school full time AND get paid to do it! I have been looking on here for any prior service in the Clinical Psych program at USU, so I can get some insider info.

Another Mil-2-med member here...

Spent (6) years active duty Navy (Hospital Corpsman)...Currently in the Reserves for the past 2 years now @ NAS Jax......Applying to podiatric medical school next month and going into the Navy HSCP..Already got (8) years in.....Might as well retire...lol...

Good luck to you guys....

-HM2

20 years as an AF medic. Graduate PA school in 4 months....

So I guess you can tell what branch by the name. Currently AD non-prior service. Signed on for 6 years and so far I've got about ooo 5 and some change to go. I'm in Monterey Ca going through tech school and my plan is to get my Bachelors and be accepted into Med school around the time my enlistment is up. I have a long way to go but once I'm operational I'm going to try to hit the ground running and work as hard as possible without sacrificing the mission.

There's a lot of us Air Force guys 'round these parts, it seems.
I'm finishing up my final week of active duty after 6 years as a 2M0X1, starting school full time again at the end of the month.
Grats on the job offer!

USAirman: Good luck through the next 6 years. If I may be so bold as to offer some advice: Start school as soon as you get to your permanent duty station and stick with it. Even if you're just taking general ed classes at Park, you're still making progress. It's going to be a pain in the ass to manage work and school, and you'll be VERY lucky if your supervisors make any accomodations for your educational goals. You'll probably have to be a jerk and put yourself first in some situations, but you have a long road ahead of you. I hope I don't sound condescending, but I really kick myself for not putting more effort into my education when I was younger.
Also, have fun. I've had a great time with this experience, and met people who will be lifelong friends. What're you going to school for? My tech school was at Vandenburg, and it was awesome being able to go down to SLO, LA, or Pismo every weekend.

Last edited:
Hey thanks for the advice I'll make sure to start cracking those books at soon as I can. I'm learning Russian right now, 1N3. I'm earning college credit while going through this course, the entire pipeline is 1.2 years of tech school. So by the time I'm operational I'll have 45 credits, hope some transfer over into whatever major I choose, that way I wont be so far behind. How much were you able to get done while you were in?

Holy crap, that's a lot of tech school. At least you're somewhere nice. My pipeline was only 9 months.
I ended up with about 70 hours of Air Force credit, from tech school, 5 and 7 level upgrades, and Airman Leadership School.
While I was in, I got a little bit more than a semester of school done, and 3 CLEPs. The school I'm at now took all my AF credits, but only one thing from my Electronics Principles school transferred as a core class. ALS counts as management credit, which doesn't really do anything for you. Having all those hours bumps up my Stafford loan cap, and makes me feel a little bit better about myself when I'm taking classes with a bunch of young'uns. I think it *might* make us eligable for the SMART grant earlier, too.
I'm going to end up missing my CCAF degree by a speech class, because my CLEP speech wasn't long enough. Whatever. I'll have enough degrees to cover a wall by the time I'm done, anyway.
I've only really been pushing myself in the last year, though. Prior to that I wasn't really sure what I wanted to do, and was even considering going career for a while. Screw that noise, though. Get as much school done as the AF will pay for.

4 years of time served in Army. Wouldn't be where I am without it. Looked into HPSP, but if go back in will be after getting board-certified.

Gives you A LOT of cred at the VAMC's. I'm a little older anyway, but just get treated a little differently when vets see my Army pin and find out I'm not just wearing it to wear it.