Another MSIII Poll/Scoop

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Global Disrobal

Along for the ride
Moderator Emeritus
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, late me take the lead on this one... I'm just curious where we're all shooting for! You can just drop a geographic region if you don't want to give specifics. I think this'll give us an idea as to where people are going for and maybe we can start throwing out the scoop on the programs we know about!

I for one am familiar with the Southern California Path programs (rather intimately) having done my Post-Soph there in addition to having worked as a histotech at several of them.

But anyways, I am shooting for these places (hold applause please :)

UArizona
St. Joes (AZ)
UNM
Baylor (Houston)
UT Southwestern
Scott & White
UT San Antonio
Galveston
Utah
UW (I had to have a reach far and touch a star program)
Oregon
Johns Hopkins
UMaryland
Georgetown
George Washington

Anyone else share my misfortune? ;)
PS Are Mindy and Pumpkin "Mafia-oids" yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey GD, good idea for a thread.

I am looking at Rocky Mountain/Southwest programs, including University of Colorado, Penrose St. Francis (in Colorado Springs) Utah, New Mexico.

Hey, if any of you m3s are doing externships (or even path rotations at your home institution) do us all a favor rate them on scutwork.com! (If you don't mind sharing...) There isn't much info on path programs on there right now, and it would be nice to see what other people thought of various programs!

Awesome idea! I think the ratings on Scutwork are great provided that they aren't marketing pieces by current residents or administrators.

Alright gang, out with it....where are we all heading out to in Nov-Jan?

GD

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys... I signed up for the mafia, but I couldn't get in... what gives.... (I'm serious, yahoo never sent me the verification-I'll try again later I guess :( )

BTW, wasn't the password, "Joe Sent Me?"

Here's where I interviewed (I applied to almost twice as many):

Brigham
Yale
Pitt
Baystate
Brown
Dartmouth
Penn
Hopkins
SUNY Syracuse
Vermont
*** MGH *** my new home!

I'd be happy to provide info on any of these.

Here's some general advice:

1) Pathology is a wicked (yes I'm practicing my New England-ese) small field. Don't tick anyone off. Those same people you interview with may be hiring you down the line. Plus, they are your colleagues, and its better not to get started on unfriendly terms. Keep in mind that from my experience the "do I send them a thank you card or not" is a moot point. The answer is an astounding **YES**, and then you bend over backwards letting your program know that you are interested in them. We are selling ourselves, because in general each and every medical student looks alike.

2) Love the field. And be knowledgeable about the field. Read journals, learn the language, keep up on some of the interesting technology/changes. I am finishing up rotations now (as opposed to february like most of my fellow 4th years) because I took an extra month off to self-teach pathology informatics. I was armed with an interesting subject for my interviews, had a focus, and could speak easily about the subject. KNOW YOUR FIELD!!!!

3) Your letter writers are key. Get to know some pathologists at your school. Best, do a paper with someone. My mentor became my mentor because I approached him about research---nobody took me under their wing and showed me the way.

Okay...dinner's ready...

Let's make sure together that YOU ALL GET INTO YOUR NUMBER ONE PROGRAM!

HERE HERE, Pathology Mafia!

Mindy

Yeah I am in. So where is Hoffa buried? And, where is my no work paycheck :p

hey thanks for joining Pumpkin, your presence is very valuable. all information regarding Hoffa will be revealed to you at an undisclosed location at an undisclosed time. Your paycheck??? errrrrm....."Lenny!!! get the man some loot yeah?"

and Mindy, i dunno what happened and why you never recieved verification. I didn't put any restrictions on joining...try again though when you get time!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pathminimafia

"joe sent me"...hahaha

so yeah, 23 members of the mafia and still growing. I'm personally getting REALLY REALLY anxious about all the match procedures and goals already.

cheers!!!

Mindy,
I'd love to hear your thoughts on Brown. I've been unable to find any info on it -- not even a website! A post or PM with your opinion of the program would be great, when you have the time.
Thanks!

I'm looking at mainly programs on the East Coast -- Hopkins, UPenn, Yale, Brown???, UVa, UPitt and maybe UNC and Duke. While I admire Mindy's enthusiasm, I'm just not sure I could tolerate the hours at MGH:) I'll probably apply to a few Midwest programs as well -- UMich, Northwestern, Wash U and possibly Mayo (but the all frozen section thing at Mayo kinda turns me off...).

I agree with the scutwork idea! To any path residents out there who haven't filled out a review -- please help us out! It's a great site, and really gives us an idea of what to look out for on our interview days.

hey ludy,
what's the frozen section deal at Mayo?

Almost all the tissue that can be dx'ed by frozen section is done so at Mayo. It's for the convenience of the surgeons. As a result, as a resident, you don't get to preview slides or sign out with an attending because it is immediately signed out by the attending reading the frozen section. What you do is gross all day in the frozen section suite. That is no exaggeration. I spent some time there and I thought the residents received no teaching. It's great for fellowship, though.

thanks jim bob,
that does seem like a bummer. i wonder how the surgeons there got so much pull. you wouldn't think they would do that since we all know that frozen is not as reliable for dx as a fixed section.

Yeah, it is too bad 'cause they get some interesting stuff over there. I was told that the Mayo brothers were surgeons, and as a result, everything has historically revolved 'round the surgeons' needs. Even the frozen section was developed out there b/c the Mayo brothers wanted an intraoperative diagnosis. So their intrepid pathologist put a hunk of tissue out on a window sill to freeze it in the Minnesota winter.

LUDY -- PM!

Anyone remember the details of George Bush' bx, where a mayo pathologist was asked to read it in Washington (georgetown? wherever the pres. goes.) And a battle ensued over whether or not to freeze the entire tissue, with the Washington pathologists only wanting to freeze a part of it. In the end the whole thing was frozen.

Here's the problem with this story: 1) I vaguely remember it. 2) I cannot be certain it was 'w'. 3) well its got all the makings of a great urban legend...but I am so sure its true...

Anyone?

Mindy

Hey everyone,
Just letting anyone know that I'll be happy to give any info too--after going through the process I know how hard it is to get good info. I'll be an intern at Hopkins and spent a month at Mayo earlier in the year and know some residents there pretty well. Interviewed at a bunch of places too. Anyways, if anyone wants some input I'll be more than happy to share...Feel free to PM me anytime. Good luck to all in the mafia...

Cheers

Hi Bigler,

Thanks for your post. I have a quick question for you. I am looking at the Baltimore-DC area for residency for family reasons. I have so far been able to research out OMD and the DC programs in terms of attendings and residents. Hopkins however doesn't give much info on its current residents. Without jeopardizing privacy and any other info, can you just let me know if they have any IMG residents and more or less what the resident population looks like? Any info you provide will be greatly appreciated!

GD

Hey Global Disrobal--I sent you a PM which I hopes helps some,and I'll try to get more info for you too.

Cheers

bigler,

feel free to join the PathMiniMafia mailing list....it has been a bit quiet lately, but i'm sure it will start kicking up when application season gets closer.

we need insightful people such as yourself.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pathminimafia

cheers!

Rirriri,

Thanks for the invite--I'll definately sign up... Good luck with all the application process--hopefully I might be able to help some along the way...

Cheers