another "need your opinion on what to do"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

passdasoysauce

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a senior graduating this June. I recently just heard about the predental programs of UOP. I meet their criteria, with a GPA of 3.8 and sat scores of 1800. The problem is I did not apply last year. I spoke to an advisor today and she said that it is only for freshmen. SHe suggested that I wait for another year (not go to school this year) and see if I can get accepted next year (2+3, 3+3, 4+3). Will this be a good idea, any other school that may offer accelerated programs as transfer?

Members don't see this ad.

very few schools actually have a "predental" major. You will notice a lot of applicants having degrees in chemistry, biochemistry and other science majors. Don't get me wrong people also get in with degrees in sociology and psychology etc.. I guess what I'm saying is pick something you can fall back on. As for pre-dental programs.. any program can be pre-dental if you have the prereqs for dental school. Do what you enjoy doing in college and get good grades and you'll do just fine.

I guess,I thought that if I get accepted at UOP's predent accelerated programs, I can either be finished with school in 5 or 6 years instead of the traditional of 4 years undergrad and 4 years of dental school. Any other opinion. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know to much about this program but from what I know if I were you, I would risk taking the year off to get into the program. Your stats look competitive so I would take the year off to make yourself more competitive. Start volunteering at dental practices. Gain hands on experience by assisting and write an awesome personal statement in your confidence to pursue the profession. Get involved in dentistry as much as possible and get letters of recs from dentists. I think this should help increase your chances dramatically, or maybe you should ask your adviser on how you can be more competitive for the program.

Thank you so much for all your replies. I am so thankful that I found this forum. You have so much ideas and experiences to share, most of you being ibeing able to understad my situation. I just wished I found this forum last year. My mom made an appointment with a predent advisor at uop in June (since we are here in Virginia) and take it from there. The idea of taking a yar off and applying next year is truly inviting since I know that my path seems paved since I am in, versus, that if I take undergrad, I am afraid of the "what if i don't make it in?"