Another neurotic pre-med asking about chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tech04

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm an ORM (over-represented majority) about to enter my junior year at MIT, and I'm getting a bit freaked out about med school (so it seems like I might be in the right place).

I'm a bio major with a 3.6(/4.0) (positive trend - but a C in organic chem I), research from sophomore year in high school (at one lab until this summer, so I'll have a pretty strong LOR), strong committment to music and my fraternity, and I've been scoring 31-33 on my Kaplan practice tests (I know these don't correlate perfectly, but it's a ballpark).

Assuming that I volunteer full time next summer (possibly part time during the year as well?) and have relatively strong essays, am I right to apply to top schools? I know a top school won't make me a better physician, but I am extremely interested in academic medicine and research. Hence my focus on top research schools.

Thanks a lot for the responses.

Members don't see this ad.

keep up the research, try and work in some service stuff.
also show that you can write/communicate - potentially a concern since you're coming from MIT. you should also be pleasantly surprised by your MCAT - I was pulling 29-30s on my practices and pulled a 35 on the real thing.
so, you'll be fine.
:)

I think it would be wise to consult your school premedical committee/advisor. I think your chances of acceptance are on par with many students applying nationwide. However, I don't know that the information you provided shows you are head & shoulders above the rest of the applicant pool. It is always smart to apply to a variety of schools. :)

btw, I've heard the average undergrad MCAT at MIT is a 31, is this true?

Members don't see this ad :)
tech has an excellent undergrad writing program and much stronger humanities dept. than people think. i would imagine that adcoms know this. but as the above posters said - never hurts to prove it and good luck on your mcats.

As I've heard it, our avg. is 32, but I think the std. dev is pretty big.
The most recent stats I've seen online, though, through our premed office, are from April 2000, and say that our avgs are 9.5V/10.3P/10.1B.

rafa, wtf?! this crap's 4 years old....

The facts are only a year old. I think they are saying that its the data for the people who applied for the 2005-2006 application cycle.