Another neurotic pre-med asking about chances

Tech04

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2002
Cambridge, MA
Visit site
Status (Visible)
Hi everyone, I'm an ORM (over-represented majority) about to enter my junior year at MIT, and I'm getting a bit freaked out about med school (so it seems like I might be in the right place).

I'm a bio major with a 3.6(/4.0) (positive trend - but a C in organic chem I), research from sophomore year in high school (at one lab until this summer, so I'll have a pretty strong LOR), strong committment to music and my fraternity, and I've been scoring 31-33 on my Kaplan practice tests (I know these don't correlate perfectly, but it's a ballpark).

Assuming that I volunteer full time next summer (possibly part time during the year as well?) and have relatively strong essays, am I right to apply to top schools? I know a top school won't make me a better physician, but I am extremely interested in academic medicine and research. Hence my focus on top research schools.

Thanks a lot for the responses.

DarkChild

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Status (Visible)
keep up the research, try and work in some service stuff.
also show that you can write/communicate - potentially a concern since you're coming from MIT. you should also be pleasantly surprised by your MCAT - I was pulling 29-30s on my practices and pulled a 35 on the real thing.
so, you'll be fine.
:)

Bikini Princess

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 26, 2002
Visit site
Status (Visible)
I think it would be wise to consult your school premedical committee/advisor. I think your chances of acceptance are on par with many students applying nationwide. However, I don't know that the information you provided shows you are head & shoulders above the rest of the applicant pool. It is always smart to apply to a variety of schools. :)

btw, I've heard the average undergrad MCAT at MIT is a 31, is this true?

About the Ads
J

jot

tech has an excellent undergrad writing program and much stronger humanities dept. than people think. i would imagine that adcoms know this. but as the above posters said - never hurts to prove it and good luck on your mcats.

Tech04

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2002
Cambridge, MA
Visit site
Status (Visible)
As I've heard it, our avg. is 32, but I think the std. dev is pretty big.
The most recent stats I've seen online, though, through our premed office, are from April 2000, and say that our avgs are 9.5V/10.3P/10.1B.

CSLITO

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
The facts are only a year old. I think they are saying that its the data for the people who applied for the 2005-2006 application cycle.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads