Mar 4, 2012
Durham, North Carolina
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
SUNY Stony Brook is such a great school :) now NY residents have more options to attend.

oldstock

Membership Revoked
Removed
Mar 12, 2014
Mar 4, 2012
Durham, North Carolina
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Lol

God bless us !!!!!
I thought SUNY Binghamton's been working on new pharmacy school too. lol at least cheaper option for many NY residents if they insist to attend one in NY.

oldstock

Membership Revoked
Removed
Mar 12, 2014
I thought SUNY Binghamton's been working on new pharmacy school too. lol at least cheaper option for many NY residents if they insist to attend one in NY.
Yup, everyone can go to pharm schools now... And that is supposed to be a "good thing" for a great "current shortage" of pharmacists.... (Sigh)

Reactions: Humble Sloth

owlbright

Chubbic Bowman
5+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2013
Status
Pharmacy Student
Medical schools are on expansion. Pharmacy schools need to catch up?

PharmDCandidate2014

Organ Donor
Oct 24, 2014
Salt Lake City, Utah
Status
Dental Student
Why go to a New York school when your job prospects look HORRIFYINGLY scary at this rate? If you still want to apply after reading this stat and THINKING, you'll see that this might not be the best investment.

If you google Aggregate Demand Index for NY licensed pharmacists, you'll see a downward trend. From a scale of 1-5 with 1 being (supply >> demand) and 5 being (supply << demand), NY has been on the downward since 2005 . . . and this is WITHOUT Binghamton, Stony Brook, and D'Youville's graduating class. 2009's ADI = 3.05, and 2014's ADI = 2.86. Imagine what happens when you have these new graduates coming out? ADI = NEGATIVE! Just kidding, but it's not a good sight. So, you argue to me that you can get work anywhere in the Northeastern cost. WRONG. The New England region is probably worse off than NY (again, look at the ADI). New Jersey, Delaware and Pennsylvania aren't doing too well either. What are the consequences?

- Eventual decrease in wages. That "median salary = $116,000"? Going to be HISTORY soon.
- Work conditions? I don't even want to imagine. Suicide isn't something particularly nice to talk about, but I can see it skyrocketing in this profession if people are going in it for the "6 figure salary." Wanna help people? Okay, fine. Consult a patient for 10 minutes and lose valuable time trying to fill your quota. Want to work in a hospital? Do a 2 year residency and another year of fellowship and get paid the same amount as a physician assistant who did HALF the schooling you did.
- See where I'm getting at here? I know your pre-med/pre-health science courses tell you to critically think in order to be good students - now it's time to use those skills and apply it to picking a stable career choice for you! Is pharmacy going to be "stable?" Ehhh. Only time will tell - but do you want to leave it to chance? It's ultimately up to you, but PLEASE don't take the sales pitch by the school representative too seriously - instead take the time out to shadow the field, ask questions to your supervisor/preceptor about the field's future, and chances are, they'll pretty much tell you the same.
- Pharmacy school bubble much? Yup.

Okay, that post was a little TOO negative, but I think it might be an accurate depiction of what's to come within the next decade(s). My point is: THINK before you choose a career. Use evidence and sound judgment skills like you did in your Physics exam instead of jumping in to a career, which I'd compare to doing a "mindless plug-and-chug" problem!

Humble Sloth

Planning my financial survival
Removed
Account on Hold
Dec 21, 2015
San francisco, California
Status
Non-Student
Why go to a New York school when your job prospects look HORRIFYINGLY scary at this rate? If you still want to apply after reading this stat and THINKING, you'll see that this might not be the best investment.

If you google Aggregate Demand Index for NY licensed pharmacists, you'll see a downward trend. From a scale of 1-5 with 1 being (supply >> demand) and 5 being (supply << demand), NY has been on the downward since 2005 . . . and this is WITHOUT Binghamton, Stony Brook, and D'Youville's graduating class. 2009's ADI = 3.05, and 2014's ADI = 2.86. Imagine what happens when you have these new graduates coming out? ADI = NEGATIVE! Just kidding, but it's not a good sight. So, you argue to me that you can get work anywhere in the Northeastern cost. WRONG. The New England region is probably worse off than NY (again, look at the ADI). New Jersey, Delaware and Pennsylvania aren't doing too well either. What are the consequences?

- Eventual decrease in wages. That "median salary = $116,000"? Going to be HISTORY soon.
- Work conditions? I don't even want to imagine. Suicide isn't something particularly nice to talk about, but I can see it skyrocketing in this profession if people are going in it for the "6 figure salary." Wanna help people? Okay, fine. Consult a patient for 10 minutes and lose valuable time trying to fill your quota. Want to work in a hospital? Do a 2 year residency and another year of fellowship and get paid the same amount as a physician assistant who did HALF the schooling you did.
- See where I'm getting at here? I know your pre-med/pre-health science courses tell you to critically think in order to be good students - now it's time to use those skills and apply it to picking a stable career choice for you! Is pharmacy going to be "stable?" Ehhh. Only time will tell - but do you want to leave it to chance? It's ultimately up to you, but PLEASE don't take the sales pitch by the school representative too seriously - instead take the time out to shadow the field, ask questions to your supervisor/preceptor about the field's future, and chances are, they'll pretty much tell you the same.
- Pharmacy school bubble much? Yup.

Okay, that post was a little TOO negative, but I think it might be an accurate depiction of what's to come within the next decade(s). My point is: THINK before you choose a career. Use evidence and sound judgment skills like you did in your Physics exam instead of jumping in to a career, which I'd compare to doing a "mindless plug-and-chug" problem!
I strongly believe this post to be the most underrated post of 2014.

Humble Sloth

Planning my financial survival
Removed
Account on Hold
Dec 21, 2015
San francisco, California
Status
Non-Student
Any update on this?
More pharmDs getting printed every year in the north east. so far average wages have dropped only around 30,000 due to prn being the new 'fulltime' average wages should be around 65,000 a year for pharmDs in 2020 with the average available work hours being 27 a week. there are just too few hours and too many pharmacists