Another new Texas medical school? UT Tyler

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katherinermarie

Reaction score
I just read that UT Health Systems intends to establish a new medical school in Tyler. I know since it was just announced there is not a lot of information out there, but I thought I'd ask if anyone has heard anything about this? Also how long does it usually take for a school to establish and accept their first class? Are we looking at Aug 2022? 2023? How many medical schools can we get in Texas?!

Members don't see this ad.

Probably 3-5 years at least. This is an excellent move though, as Tyler has a good infrastructure to support a med school. Namely, an academic hospital with residencies (which already sees students from UTSW and UTMB, but this will stop if the UTHCT SOM gets off the ground).

Reactions: 1 user
I dont know why all these new schools are opening... we need more residency programs, not medical schools....
They need to stop doing this.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Here's the news report from CBS: Officials to seek approval from UT System Board of Regents to build medical school in Tyler

The UT Board of Regents has to approve this request. They meet before the end of February. Then, if approved, application will be made to LCME and the vetting process and evaluation of its plans will begin.

@Sleepingdoc, The TMA recently did a study and reported on this question, and there are currently more than enough residency slots to serve our US med school graduates. It is true that funding for residency slots is a separate matter from approval of a new school.

Reactions: 2 users
I know this is an old thread but the vetting process and LCME approval for a new medical school is a long one.

The founding dean for the school has been selected, and University of Texas at Tyler School of Medicine anticipates a decision from LCME about its status in February 2022.

If approved, the school can recruit applicants for the 2022-2023 application cycle.

UT Tyler names founding dean of new medical school

Reactions: 2 users
Here's the news report from CBS: Officials to seek approval from UT System Board of Regents to build medical school in Tyler

The UT Board of Regents has to approve this request. They meet before the end of February. Then, if approved, application will be made to LCME and the vetting process and evaluation of its plans will begin.

@Sleepingdoc, The TMA recently did a study and reported on this question, and there are currently more than enough residency slots to serve our US med school graduates. It is true that funding for residency slots is a separate matter from approval of a new school.
Disagree, I don't think texas needs another med school. Sure there are lots of residency spots in rural IM and FM that are undesirable to the majority of med students. I have a strong feeling that students at a UT med school will be applying for surgical subspecialties, academic IM, derm, rads, etc, and those fields are plenty competitive. Add on the fact that roughly half of texas med students do residency out of state (as there is not a lot of those programs I mentioned established in state), it is a waste of tax payers money to open this school. Also Texas has what 14 med schools?

Disagree, I don't think texas needs another med school. Sure there are lots of residency spots in rural IM and FM that are undesirable to the majority of med students. I have a strong feeling that students at a UT med school will be applying for surgical subspecialties, academic IM, derm, rads, etc, and those fields are plenty competitive. Add on the fact that roughly half of texas med students do residency out of state (as there is not a lot of those programs I mentioned established in state), it is a waste of tax payers money to open this school. Also Texas has what 14 med schools?
Of course a graduate from a Texas medical school is free to practice anywhere they choose and do residency in other states. Texas still has fewer doctors per capita than needed in many areas, and recruiting with a regional mission is an attempt at addressing this issue.

Reactions: 1 users
Of course a graduate from a Texas medical school is free to practice anywhere they choose and do residency in other states. Texas still has fewer doctors per capita than needed in many areas, and recruiting with a regional mission is an attempt at addressing this issue.
Opening a new med school to make it 15 schools in texas will not magically fill this gap. Most (if not all) grads will end up practicing in desirable cities in desirable fields either in the megacenters of texas (austin dallas and houston) or out of state. Thats just reality. Just look at UTRGV match list for comparison. Texas needs more desirable residencies if they want to keep doctors in state, not a new school making 15 med schools in texas. If 14 med schools in the state is not enough to fill the need, then that should tell us that the problem will not be addressed by making it 15.

Reactions: 1 users
I have learned from the director of TMDSAS that UT Tyler has been approved to take applications during the 2022-2023 cycle.
He was not sure if they will be listed on the TMDSAS app as soon as it opens up in May 2022, but if not, any students wanting to add it as another school later can do so once it is officially on the app.
Follow news from TMDSAS for more info on UT Tyler.

Reactions: 4 users