Another non traditional story- looking for advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edm2009

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Its been a while since I ghosted these forums but I am making a big decision soon and was looking for some input so I apologize for the long post. Without giving too many details, medical school was my goal during undergrad but I had some personal issues that set me back. Family issues, relationships, and a bunch of other things made me reconsider applying to school and I decided to back out. In hindsight it was probably a good decision, as I wasn't emotionally ready for the responsibility and I am now working a decent job.

I have given some serious thought to re-taking my MCAT and applying to schools but I was wondering how other non traditional students have done it. My background includes a:
-BS Biology 3.5 GPA: I got As in most of my pre-reqs including OChem, Physics, and biology. I have a few slip ups on my transcript but nothing indicative of a bad trend
-Currently working in bioinformatics: it may not be research at a university, but I am working for a company that is doing some pretty cool things with genome sequencing
-A unique internship experience from my senior year of college: I spent the whole summer shadowing doctors in my region, pretty much shadowing every specialty from orthopedics to emergency medicine
-A summer of research: Nothing to brag about, but it was a funded research grant during my Junior year of school

I want to take 6 months and study for the MCAT and take a legitimate shot at an allopathic school but there are a few things holding me back, specifically:
-How do non traditional students pay for everything? Is it all funded through loans? Obviously there is tuition, but how have students dealt with things like health insurance, car insurance, and all of the other necessary things in life? I feel comfortable paying my own bills right now, and I don't think I could ask my family to support me in my mid 20s as I return to school.
-How do schools view non-traditional students? Is there a legitimate shot of being accepted granted I get a decent MCAT score, or are the odds against most non traditionals?

Any input-especially from students who have done it- would be greatly appreciated! I'm almost ready to take the next step but would really love to hear stories from others in similar situations.

Members don't see this ad.

We LIKE non-trads. Bringing a different perspective than the traditional pre-med bio major is a helpful thing to have, and you'll also have a greater maturity level. Historically, DO programs are more welcoming to non-trads.

If you can get ahold of demographics of student age at different medical schools, you can see the percentage of non-trads by simply observing what % of the Class is >age 26.

-How do schools view non-traditional students? Is there a legitimate shot of being accepted granted I get a decent MCAT score, or are the odds against most non traditionals?

Nice story.

How do we pay for everything? Save up big time to have enough for the primary, secondary, and interview expenses. Somewhere between $5-10k. The interview trail is the worst. Airline tickets are around $500, add a night or two at a hotel at $100/night, add food, and you are at $700-1000 per interview. Then since schools usually don't let you know for a month, you could get an acceptance at the perfect school and still don't know it so you go to other interviews and blow that money away. :(

Once you get an acceptance, the financial aid department gives you a "cost of attendance" budget. Usually they are generous enough that you can live frugally. Get a roommate, eat cheaply, don't go partying every night. Don't have an expensive hobby. You won't be eating Top Raman every night, but it won't be prime rib every night either. The COA also includes health insurance (not usually great, but it will cover some emergencies), tuition, books, living, car, car insurance, etc.

The down side to the budget that is given by the school is that it is enough for ONE person for the time you are in school. It does not include a spouse, and it does not include summers off. If you have attached yourself to a SO, that person needs to support himself/herself. And you need to think about how you will stretch your budget to live in the summer. Will you get a part time job in the summer so you can live? Will you move back in with parents and be a bum? Do you have enough savings to carry you through your expenses in the summer?

The two exceptions I have found for the COA rules are:first, my school allows a one time increase in the loan amount (up to $2000) for the purchase of a computing device. And, second, dependent child care costs (day care) can be a reason to increase your COA.

What is financial aid? It is loans, loans, and more loans. My 4 years will put me at just over $250,000 in debt. Tack on 6.8% and 7.9% interest that starts the second you take out the money (unsubsidized), and it will end up at over three times that amount by the time I am done paying it back.

As Goro already said, there are some schools that are very accepting of non-traditional students. It is becoming the normal situation for med school admissions.

Hth

dsoz

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow thanks for the replies thus far. I haven't given much thought to the cost associated with the application process- that is definitely an eye opener and something I will have to consider.

Nice info on the COA budget as well. I am not currently married, and have no problems living frugally. I wouldn't mind crashing at my parents place in the summer (as sad as that may seem). But if it saves me money then it might be worth it.

The loan info is also much appreciated, even though it is a sobering reality of the cost of school haha. This may seem like a personal question dsoz, but is paying back the loan and interest a big concern for you? I know a former student who went with the military route to pay for school, and it almost seemed like for him there was no other choice.

Also, if you or others do not mind answering, is it looked down upon to be selective about schools? Obviously I wouldn't be THAT picky, but I would love to stay within the state or one of the surrounding ones. There would be around 10 options if I wanted to go this route, but is it naive of me to think it would be a possibility?

Wow thanks for the replies thus far. I haven't given much thought to the cost associated with the application process- that is definitely an eye opener and something I will have to consider.

Nice info on the COA budget as well. I am not currently married, and have no problems living frugally. I wouldn't mind crashing at my parents place in the summer (as sad as that may seem). But if it saves me money then it might be worth it.

The loan info is also much appreciated, even though it is a sobering reality of the cost of school haha. This may seem like a personal question dsoz, but is paying back the loan and interest a big concern for you? I know a former student who went with the military route to pay for school, and it almost seemed like for him there was no other choice.

Also, if you or others do not mind answering, is it looked down upon to be selective about schools? Obviously I wouldn't be THAT picky, but I would love to stay within the state or one of the surrounding ones. There would be around 10 options if I wanted to go this route, but is it naive of me to think it would be a possibility?

There is nothing wrong with being smart and selective regarding your schools. State schools are most peoples' first choice because of tuition cost alone.

Like Dsoz - I'm also a non-trad matriculating this year. The loans are def. mind boggling but you have to ask yourself it this is worth it. For me, I cannot see myself doing anything else so it's a no brainer. Yes the loans will suck and I will have to work hard to pay them off. But, I will be happy and doing what my heart and mind know what I should be doing. So in the end - the cost is worth it to me.

Unsubsidized loans have a cap. From memory I think it's $242k/ lifetime. So if you have any undergrad loan debt that's unsubsidized - look where you are at. After you borrow 242k @ 6.8% - the remainder of your loans will be grad plus loans at 7.9%. Also, there is a yearly cap for what you can borrow with the unsubsidized.

For Graduate education, we do not have the subsidized loans anymore.

Military is not a bad option if you can qualify for it and be happy with that lifestyle. Def. worth considering and investigating.

GL

I know it's even more money, but if you've been out a few years, I might suggest an MCAT review course. I was going to apply undergrad...studied on my own for MCAT, 29, then 30 a year later on retake.

Fast forward 7 years later after a PhD. I knew this stuff was not at all fresh in my mind so I paid for a Kaplan course. I have no ties whatsoever to Kaplan. However, the structured review and practice tests helped a ton...rocked a 37.

I really hate to endorse review courses...and n of one and all that, but yeah.

In terms of financial stuff, you just have to be extra wary of financial aid. I know it's tough to be a chooser in the med school market, but in your case, financial aid packages are bumped up on your list of importance.

The school I chose had a GREAT financial aid package. Basically I left the interview day with the feeling from the financial aid talk of: If you come here, don't worry...focus on studies, you will be covered.

Of course I didn't live like a rockstar, but I wasn't living on the street either. It most certainly be done. You'll likely have a lot of debt, but many of use make that sacrifice for this career.

From my position, yes it is. I am an extreme non-traditional. I was a high school science teacher for 19 years before deciding to abandon that life and go back to medical school, starting next month.

Here is my timeline. I will be just under 50 years old when I get done with residency. That gives me about 10 years to pay back my loans and another 10-15 years for a retirement savings. If I am lucky, I will be able to break even and keep the same take home pay as when I was a teacher. I will not be living the high life of being a physician anytime soon. Ha ha.

I am too old to go the military. Even as a physician, I will exceed the maximum age by one or two years. Seriously, I looked into it.

dsoz