Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

another one of those

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by priddygirl, Feb 22, 2001.

1. priddygirl

priddygirl Junior Member

I'm another one of the hopefuls
    overall gpa 3.0
    science 3.5
    mcat 30
    what are my chances? should I go to grad school? I have worked w/ an MD and am now with a DO

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. David511

David511 Ponch's Illegitimate Son

Fellow [Any Field]
    Priddy,

Disclaimer: what follows is no different than what is posted under the other 4 million topics just like yours. However, since I know the empowerment that can be instilled by a friendly pat on the back (I credit this forum for giving me the info I needed to get into med school), here goes.

First, your MCAT is great. A score 30+ puts you in great standing for DO admission. Your GPA is relatively low, as I'm sure you're aware. The 3.5 SciGPA is respectable, the only thing you have to worry about is your overall.

I think that whether you are admitted or not will ultimately depend on the other aspects of your application. Why the 3.0? Any hardships? Did you do poorly at first but pull up the grades as you matured? What extracurriculars do you have? Any other medical experience besides working with physicians? Basically, what can you pull from your life that will make you 'special' in the eyes of the AdComs? Make sure you elaborate on this 'hook' in your personal statement.

Second, will the DO you're working with write you a letter? This is KEY! As much as I hate to admit it, there are a lot of 'old-boy' politics that exist within the medical school admissions arena...who you know can really get you far.

Hence, you need to put in as much time as possible with this physician, learn what it is like to practice as a DO, talk with her/him, and really show you have a sincere interest in becoming a DO. Not only will this <hopefully> improve the quality of your letter of rec, it will also make you much more confident talking about the profession when you interview.

As a caveat, another thing you may want to look into is doing work with an 'established' DO...i.e. one that has some history in the profession. I was lucky enough to work under a DO who personally knew some AdCom members who were able to give me an 'inside track' on what AdComs want.

Regarding grad school, in my opinion there's nothing wrong with additional education if you feel it'll be worthwhile. There are many considerations, such as do you have the time, the money, & the passion to complete another 1-2+ yrs of school just to get into another 4 year program? Even if you kick ass in grad school (and you'll need to) your undergraduate GPA will remain unchanged. Perhaps a more simple remedy would be to look into post-bacc programs. They're generally a lot cheaper, involve less of a time committment, and will allow you to pump up your undergraduate GPA. However they rarely result in any definitive degree (unless you complete enough courses for a second major).

Regardless of what path you choose, when the time comes for you to apply, do everything as early as possible. Have your AACOMAS/AMCAS primaries out the door June 1, return the secondaries asap. The earlier you interview the better your chances for receiving the coveted acceptance letter.

I wish you the best of luck.

------------------
    -d
    PCOM Class of 2005

[This message has been edited by David511 (edited 02-23-2001).]

4. adismo

adismo covered in moon dust

About the same stats as I had when I applied. The MCAT is competitive for DO's. Definitely give ost med a shot, but apply if you believe in the philosophy and are willing to deal with some professional stigma (whatever is left of it) about your degree. I have no regrets in applying ost med. When they claim to look for the person as a whole, its truth in advertising. Good luck.

adismo, COMP class of 2005