Another one of those...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quagmire223

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dudes, seriously...sorry for doing this cuz I know how annoying they are but I just want your opinion...

I'm an IMG, failed step 1 once, only got 197 the 2nd time around (the year I took it was a bad year with all sorts of distractions including me nearly suing my landlord and going to court). Haven't taken step 2 yet but hope to do a lot better. I really love EM and have decided it's what I want. Fits my personality perfectly. I'm currently rotating through a very strong program & high profile hospital, and have been commended throughout for really good work. Some of the residents/attendings have told me on multiple occasions that I basically am as good as the current residents and they trust my ability to manage patients. I'll be able to get a few good letters from this rotation.

So...do you think I've shot myself in the foot with my poor Step 1 history given that many programs screen, or do I still have a chance?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you applying this season? Because if you haven't gotten enough interviews, then yeah, you've shot yourself in the foot. You may have a chance at the place you are rotating.

I would think that it would be very difficult to get into EM straight out of med school. I know I had a much better step I score when I applied several years ago. Granted my school was kind of new at the time and we had not placed many people into EM, but I applied to about 47 programs and only got 4 interviews.

If you really want EM, you need to do some research and find out what programs will take IMGs. Perhaps your best way to get into EM is to first do a transitional year at a place that has an EM residency that has taken IMGs in the past. The, try to do an EM rotation during that transitional year early on and really shine. This may assist you in getting in. But, I would think that your chances of getting in straight from school may be difficult (even if you were not an IMG).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, thanks for answering. No, I'm not applying this year. I'm planning on staying in the country my medical school is in for an intern year, so I'll be applying for the 2008 Match. Right now, just doing things to try to maintain the other areas of an application...the only weak point right now would be the Step 1. My step 2 scores will be available immediately when they look at the applications too. Too bad there's no way of trying to explain the bad score...it's not something I really want to discuss in my PS.

I'm looking at a couple options. Instead of doing an intern year in this country, I could try to do research. The only problem with that is $$$. I could earn a lot of money doing an internship here with overtime pay. Research would nearly have to be free or very poor pay.

Hi, thanks for answering. No, I'm not applying this year. I'm planning on staying in the country my medical school is in for an intern year, so I'll be applying for the 2008 Match. Right now, just doing things to try to maintain the other areas of an application...the only weak point right now would be the Step 1. My step 2 scores will be available immediately when they look at the applications too. Too bad there's no way of trying to explain the bad score...it's not something I really want to discuss in my PS.

I'm looking at a couple options. Instead of doing an intern year in this country, I could try to do research. The only problem with that is $$$. I could earn a lot of money doing an internship here with overtime pay. Research would nearly have to be free or very poor pay.
I think the apply to every program in the country approach plus some transitionals is called for. If you rock step 2 and have great letters, I think it could happen. As for you PS, I DEFINITELY would at LEAST mention, "though i had some trouble early on with step 1 due to a difficult time in life, I have proved this to be the exception by rocking step 2 and kicking a$$ in my rotations".