Another One

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ClassicMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks yall

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is the "feel" you got at Keck worth an additional 100k? Are you aiming to practice in California as an attending?

Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like you'd be happier at USC Keck. As for whether it's worth the extra cost, that's tough to decide - do you already have a lot of student debt?

I know where you're going. Keck. because I'm a mind reader.

That's incredible.

Is the "feel" you got at Keck worth an additional 100k? Are you aiming to practice in California as an attending?

I would certainly like to keep that option open. I suppose what would convince me above all else is reassurance that choosing SB wouldn't close that door. A good number of students match to the West Coast from SB every year, but I am wary that they are nearly all originally California residents and honestly don't know enough about the match to guess whether or not having no real ties to the area will limit me. If anything, I do think the combination of East Coast background + Keck med offers greater geographical flexibility than does East Coast background + SB med. It sounds like I would be well-served to look into away rotations if I was at SB and the option presented itself. Again, something I don't know much about.

It sounds like you'd be happier at USC Keck. As for whether it's worth the extra cost, that's tough to decide - do you already have a lot of student debt?

I might be happier there. Yet my head tells me I would also be happy with the extra 100k + interest. Fortunately, my current student debt pales in comparison to what will be tacked on during the next four years.

USC
Median MCAT: 35
Average Step 1: 238
Residency director score: 3.7
Faculty-student ratio: 2.2

SUNY Stony Brook
Median MCAT: 32
Average Step 1: 230
Residency director score: 2.9
Faculty-student ratio: 1.5

Source: USNews Compass 2016-17

Status