Another one.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dgarchow

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm nearly cetain that I already know the answer to this question, but...Does retaking the ACT/SAT to improve scores have any merit whatsoever in terms of recognition from MD/DO schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm nearly cetain that I already know the answer to this question, but...Does retaking the ACT/SAT to improve scores have any merit whatsoever in terms of recognition from MD/DO schools?

Nothing You Do Before College Will Matter.

Except for MCV. It was odd that they asked for my SAT score.

Well, maybe. Some schools (see Baylor and TMDSAS schools) do ask for your ACT/SAT scores but I don't think a bad score would keep you from getting into any of those schools. I honestly wonder why they even ask for them. Does anyone know? Maybe it's just to see how well you do on standardized tests. Bottom line is don't worry about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
FSU asked too, but only after I was accepted, so I guess it can't matter all that much.
As long as you got into a college or university, just go and focus on grades until MCAT time.

Just to add the list of schools that ask for SAT score, Wash U does too (though it might have been optional). SAT scores themselves do not directly influence your admission to a med school. Of course, indirectly, a higher SAT score might get you into a better college and where you go to college does matter. It's not everything by any means, but it definitely helps you if you're coming from a good undergrad.

Just to add the list of schools that ask for SAT score, Wash U does too (though it might have been optional). SAT scores themselves do not directly influence your admission to a med school. Of course, indirectly, a higher SAT score might get you into a better college and where you go to college does matter. It's not everything by any means, but it definitely helps you if you're coming from a good undergrad.

I think a couple schools asked for SAT scores (and GRE if applicable). Definitely WashU and maybe vanderbilt.

Why do you guys think they ask if it's "meaningless?"

From what I remember, wake forest also asked for SAT/ACT scores. I really don't think they play ANY part in your application. Maybe these are overambitious schools that are conducting research on the correlation between SAT/MCAT/Step I and II scores...but I doubt it.

I think a couple schools asked for SAT scores (and GRE if applicable). Definitely WashU and maybe vanderbilt.

Why do you guys think they ask if it's "meaningless?"

Like Gob said (I love that show btw!), if you did really well on both the SAT and the MCAT, then that means you're probably a good test-taker and thus have the *potential* to rock the USMLE in the future. Lol, I wonder if there's any correlation between SAT scores and USMLE scores??? That would be crazy!

Some of us didn't take either the SAT or the ACT.

I expect the only reason they use those scores is for statistical purposes, like studying correltation between SAT and MCAT or something like that. I doubt they'd use those scores for admissions purposes

No. I would focus on getting a good score on the SAT so that you can go to a good undergraduate university.

I expect the only reason they use those scores is for statistical purposes, like studying correltation between SAT and MCAT or something like that. I doubt they'd use those scores for admissions purposes

Yeah, I think Jefferson wanted them, but expressly said it was only for research purposes.