Another outpatient job offer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedMan80

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Another job offer, rural location about 1.5hrs from major hub, southern US

Outpatient mostly, may need to help out on the units occasionally..1hr new 15m followup, 30% no show

250-260k per yr, 20 PTO...light 1 in 4 call, may occasionally have to go in on a weekend to see a pt..

Members don't see this ad.

Just to add more info, call doesn't seem to be paid in addition, they were looking into maybe an rvu model..sign on 20k..reloc

Established/transfer patients: 1500 hours * 4 visits/hr * 0.7 show rate * $74 (99213) = $310k

New intakes: 500 hours * 0.7 show rate * $110 (99203) = $39k

Adjust those numbers as you see fit to figure out how much you think they're earning off of you. Negotiate from there.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like a facility that receives grants.

I don't think you should get paid based on how much you produce. The facility should lose money on you and the loss should be offset by the grants. However, the calculation above is a good estimate how much revenue you're expected to bring in (although it may be overstated if lots of patients have Medicaid and are uninsured).

This is how I see it. This is a job with the following characteristics:

- less than ideal location (rural location)
- less than average pay
- more than average work -- 15 minute follow ups, frequent phone calls, and working on weekends
- low PTOs

I don't see anything good about the job. Personally, I would not interview for the job if the base isn't at least $300k for the amount of work they want you to do. Then I'll negotiate a firm limit on patients a day / time per patient so they don' try to double book or triple book and try to squeeze as much work out of you as possible.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guys, from what I know there are some medicaid/uninsured but the facility primarily sees outpatients discharged from their psych units, so its out of more of a necessity..is call routinely paid? Im being told that its pretty rare to come in, but of course i could potentially be going in every weekend..

this job sounds terrible. I have no call thirty minute follow ups and make about the same. I work in a rural area.

Hello all,

Another job offer, rural location about 1.5hrs from major hub, southern US

Outpatient mostly, may need to help out on the units occasionally..1hr new 15m followup, 30% no show

250-260k per yr, 20 PTO...light 1 in 4 call, may occasionally have to go in on a weekend to see a pt..

Not a good deal at all. Would go for 300-320 without call, or 320-340 with call. Especially as you actually go in on a weekend. Also, I don’t see a sign on bonus/move bonus.

the PTO is just days off, CME, sick and holidays are separate. From what I've seen 4 weeks is fairly standard for PTO/vacation...

What would you guys say if it was 30 min followup and 1 hr new..would it be fair at 250 for this and maybe additional 20 or so because of the calls?