1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Another Pedo question...

Discussion in 'Dental Residents and Practicing Dentists' started by PedoLife, Apr 23, 2007.

1. PedoLife

My 1st SDN post here, so go easy on me.

I will start applying to Pedo programs in few months, here is where things stand:

Board score: 89
    Class Rank: Botton Half
    Experience: Various children projects through my school and worked with local Pediatric Dentist, both helped me want to do Pedo.

First of all, do I have shot with this profile? If not, what can I do to improve my chances?

Second, I have been reading people doing externships on these forums before they applied, and I think this will help me stand a good chance of getting in somewhere if I knew where to do the externships before I apply. I'm in Chicago, can anyone recommed any in the midwest area or other states?

:thumbup:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. AGAPE4U

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    According to the Journal of Pediatric Dentistry, the average Pedo applicant has an 85 on boards part 1, and a 3.2 G.P.A. (SD 4.5 and .4 respectively). Also, the acceptance rate for all applicants (not just those matching) is 55%. In summary, students are getting in with board scores below an 85. I think Ur a good applicant. :)

4. ItsGavinC

Dentist Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Dentist
    Good response, but the most recent data (that you are quoting) is from 2003. It's also worth noting that in 2003, 49% of the applicants had completed a one year internship or residency. Perhaps that is why applicants with scores below 85 are getting in--they've done post-grad education prior to applying.

5. setdoc7

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Apply. You are well within the range of residents who were accepted this year. Anyone who disagrees does not read applications.

6. PedoLife

Thanks everyone, your responses are very encouraging.

I'm still hoping to hear about externships, and how I should go about it. If you can list any (and how much time I should put into it), I would greatly appreciate it. :)

7. capisce?

capisce? ssc machine
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    Go to www.aapd.org/training, get the contact info for the programs listed (a secretary, or the director if you have to). Email them and inquire about an externship and they will be helpful.

8. capisce?

capisce? ssc machine
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    That's good, because no one on this thread has disagreed. Don't get your panties in a wad. And yes, I read 45 apps this year.

9. PedoLife

Just curious, do externships require you to submit your transcripts, or check that you have certain grades/GPA for you to be considered?

10. capisce?

capisce? ssc machine
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    I cannot reply with a blanket statement. I know for the one I did, and for my program now, they want a transcript and immunizations along with a CE. It's not really to deny anyone because i don't think they ever do. It's more just to start a file up for you and requirements of the hospital for any extern.

11. setdoc7

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I think we can both agree that the vast majority of people on this board have never read an application other than their own. I assume you are a resident and were involved in the selection process of your program.

12. The Candidate

The Candidate Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

What would you say the boards range was of the residents who were accepted this year?

I'm about to start studying for the boards, and I'm aiming for the 90's, and will not settle for anything less than 85 to stand a chance for pedo. My current class rank is in the middle.

Thanks

13. capisce?

capisce? ssc machine
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    Contrary to what you may think from his posts, he's not affiliated with any pedo program.

14. setdoc7

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Once again bad info

15. capisce?

capisce? ssc machine
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    I know a guy who's sister's cousin bobby has a friend who........

16. ItsGavinC

Dentist
    I thought you ran a GPR program in NY? Are you a pediatric dentist on staff at a pedo program?

17. capisce?

capisce? ssc machine
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    He's a GPR director who is likely friends with people associated with pedo programs. Since there's no pedo program where he is (Jacobi), it's a rather loose affiliation. I guess having friends who are pedo directors makes him affiliated in his mind. So when he chastizes us for making generalizations about pedo from our interviews at multiple programs, he is doing the same when he bases what he may hear second hand limited to NYC.

From someone who interviewed at multiple NYC programs and also multiple outside of NY, the structure of programs there is unlike anywhere else in the country. I can't think of somewhere less representitive of the pedo residency community as a whole than those in NYC.

18. Cold Front

Cold Front Supreme Member
    Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    capisce? and Gavin,

What's your guys take on the BU pedo program? They take a lot of international students, I'm just curious if they are accepting them because they are the only students willing to pay the cost/tuition.

What are the benefits of university based programs over hospital programs, and which one trains well rounded clinicians?

Thanks

19. capisce?

capisce? ssc machine
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    I haven't heard either way about BU. Personally, I couldn't fathom paying that much for tuition to a pedo program. If I hadn't of matched, I think it's much more prudent to take a year off to work in a pedo setting and reapply. That way, you can earn some $ while off and strengthen your application without digging a deeper hole of debt. Again, though, that's just my personal take.

Hospital-based programs are usually more clinically oriented than a school-based program. As such, you will generally spend more time in clinic, get more OR/sedation time, but you will also see a higher % of medically compromised children in some cases. There is more of a medical side to it, because frequently you are in a large children's hospital. A school-based program will give you a masters (there are a few hospital based that will as well). This would be important if you see yourself on faculty somewhere down the line. Overall, school programs have a stronger didactic background and you will likely have more emphasis placed on research and will see fewer patients a day. They are more likely to give you some time to adjust to being a resident, where at most hospital programs you are thrown into the fire from day 1. I was interested in hospital-based programs with strong didactic foundations, and was pleased at most places I interviewed. I can let you know those programs if you are interested, send me a PM.

Gavin and the rest can chime in a add anything I forgot. As a disclaimer, this does not apply accross the board. I know there are school programs where you get a great clinical education, and hospital based where they get a lot of research, etc.

20. ItsGavinC

Dentist
    I interviewed at BU last year. I think the program is a good one for a select group of people. In my mind there are two issues (and probably several sub-issues that I won't address) to attending BU for pedo. First is the cost of the program. The second is the cost of living in Boston. I'll be honest with you in my bias. For my situation, with a wife and kids, it simply wasn't feasible at all to attend BU. For somebody who can have roomates and split a place 3 or 4 ways, the cost of living becomes less of a factor.

I agree with everything that capisce mentioned about hospital vs. school programs. I'll also add that many programs that have traditionally been school based are becoming more of a hybrid program--they are spending a greater amount of time in the OR and also exposing the residents to a wider variety of experiences you would typically only see in hospital programs (syndromes, severe medical compromised kids, etc.).

I think this shift towards a more medically-focused atmosphere is a good thing, even if you have no desire to be hospital affiliated in your practice. The greater exposure one can get in their residency, even if you'll likely never see the syndrome or case again, can only serve to deepen your knowledge. And, at the minimum, a pediatric dentist should be adept at communicating with other medical professionals regarding lab results, scans, dx., etc.

21. setdoc7

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Again, bad info, as there is a pedo program at Jacobi. Further, there was a pedo program at my former hospital (Gavin, you know I know your director). I have seen first hand how the app process works for many years. The post grad world is very small.

22. ItsGavinC

Dentist
    I assumed you knew Dr. Lewis. Afterall, as you said, it is a small world. She's a fabulous person, and I think her passion for children's dentistry is evident. I'm excited to work with her and learn from her.

23. capisce?

capisce? ssc machine
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    Look, this is getting old going back and forth and is ruining a legitimate thread.

Setdoc I took offense because you implied that the OP need not listen to us because basically we are clueless students/residents. I also take exception to the fact that you speak as if you are directly staffed on a pediatric residency when you are not. I'm sure you have knowledge of application credentials at Jacobi, and perhaps some other NYC programs as well. If you were to compare the NYC applicant pool to those in the rest of the country (South, midwest, and west) you will find drastically different applicants. I can validly say this because I interviewed at multiple NYC programs and also outside of the region. Your beliefs may hold true for the NE but that doesn't mean it does everywhere. At the same time, residents and applicants who have gone through the application process already have a wealth of knowledge to those beginning the long and sometimes confusing journey of applying to a post-grad programs. In fact, believe it or not, those residents directly involved with interviewing and applications can share quite a different perspective. In the end, this doesn't do any good so lets just leave it at that.

24. PedoLife

I found the article you are referring to, but it's only in abstract form.

Journal of Pediatric Dentistry
    Volume 28, Issue 5, 2006
    Demographics and Quality Profile of Applicants to Pediatric Dentistry Residencies
    Sona J. Isharani, Elaine Romberg, Anne Wells, C. Scott Litch, John S. Rutkauskas
    http://www.aapd.org/searcharticles/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=2118

According to the abstract, the article is 6 pages long.

Can someone post/provide the full article/text? Thanks!

25. capisce?

capisce? ssc machine
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    Join the AAPD as a student member, it's 25 bucks, and then you can have access to this and other articles.