munchymanRX

Purveyor of Fine Nomz
10+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Hi all,
For applicants recently (or otherwise) accepted to osteopathic schools, what english classes did you take in college? I've asked counselors, fellow students, and even physicians this same question, but the prevailing theme I seem to be getting is that it's kind of negotiable as to whether or not the classes you take are actually "english". For instance, I ran into a guy that was able to get classics to count.

I'd appreciate any take you might have on this--I'm a little confused.

Thanks in advance!

ShinyDome19

Evil in the making...
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
Evil Residency
Status
Resident [Any Field]
aside from the normal English 1 & 2, I took Fiction and Technical Writing (very worth while class IMO)...both counted

Dec 31, 2009
Yakima, Wa
Status
Medical Student
I took the English 101, Technical Writing, and a literature from Outside N.A. class for my english courses. There are probably a lot of other classes that can count. Most majors at my university required a writing proficiency course that could probably count toward an english class.

rpggirl88

Feb 21, 2010
Frederick MD
Status
Medical Student
I was able to get some AP English credits from my high school to count, because my college took them to fulfill the college core requirement, aside from that I took an English 101 class as well as a class on technical writing.

Hybrid1

Ob/Gyn PGY-1 as of 7/1/10
Oct 1, 2009
The Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I did not take any classes with "English" in the title. My University had an honors track that allowed students to take writing-intensive courses in a variety of topics (ranging from civil rights to nature) to replace the requirement for classes like English. When applying, I just had to notify the medical schools that my undergrad was offering these honors courses as an alternative to standard English. I didn't have any problems doing this.