Another possible interview question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amy B

I miss my son so much
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is another question you all should be prepared to answer during your interviews.....

"What will you do if you don't get into to medical school?"

This is of course one you don't want to answer, but having an answer ready shows you have been thinking about the process and the consequences of not being accepted.

Members don't see this ad.

another one along those lines

" if you had to pick a profession to go into other than medicine, what would it be and why?"

Members don't see this ad :)
I just told them I was planning to take over the world (in my best Brain voice).

CT

"i'll apply again next year"
one person that wrote me a lor advised me to say that if i get asked that question... apparently someone he knew in the past got asked that question at a med school interview, the guy replied with the statement you see above, and weeks later he was accepted. bingo~

I was asked a variation of this question at an interview:
What would you do if you could never be a doctor and could not do anything in the medical field? (i.e. you couldn't say PA or nursing, and you couldn't say reapply).

Originally posted by rae-chill
"i'll apply again next year"
one person that wrote me a lor advised me to say that if i get asked that question... apparently someone he knew in the past got asked that question at a med school interview, the guy replied with the statement you see above, and weeks later he was accepted. bingo~

Yes, this is a good answer. It shows commitment.

Originally posted by Sweet Tea
haha-- my faculty interviewer at ECU did ask me. fortunately, i have plans and had a good answer.

I hope it involves re-applying. If your plans are elaborate and do not involve medicine, that was a major faux pax.

Originally posted by CRAZYTERP
I just told them I was planning to take over the world (in my best Brain voice).

CT

Not the greatest answer to that question. The interviewer may feel that you're interested in medicine primarily to stoke your ego. I hope you had a sincere answer to what could've been a legit question.

Originally posted by neuromd03
Not the greatest answer to that question. The interviewer may feel that you're interested in medicine primarily to stoke your ego. I hope you had a sincere answer to what could've been a legit question.

neuromd03, i'm pretty sure CrazyTerp is kidding (just a hunch here...;) ). can i ask what your status is? are you an applicant or already a doctor or somewhere in between in your training? just wondering :)

by the way, a slightly belated Welcome to SDN!! :)

Originally posted by neuromd03
I hope it involves re-applying. If your plans are elaborate and do not involve medicine, that was a major faux pax.

of course it involved reaplying! more specifically, i said i would meet with the dean of admissions to ask why i wasn't accepted (probably b/c of my gpa), and i would most likely pursue a mph degree to further improve my grades and then reapply.