• Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!

JTubule1386

10+ Year Member
May 7, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
How long should/could a LOI be? I am currently writing one, but there is so much I like about the school it is definitely going to be two pages.

AdmiralChz

10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2008
Mid-Atlantic
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Probably someone else that can answer this better but I definitely wouldn't try to make an LOI that long - just seems like it wouldn't get read (like a resume with lots of fluff). I have heard that LOIs need to be short, sweet, and to the point. Updates can be a little bit longer.

JTubule1386

10+ Year Member
May 7, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Well see that's kinda the thing about it. It is to the point. It's not really anything about me. It's about the reasons I want to attend their school, I just happen to have a lot of reasons. I feel if I take some things out it won't drive my point as well. What if I get it down to a full page, what do ya'll think then? Or should it be even shorter? Let me know so I can start dissecting this letter.

About the Ads

fizzle

10+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I'd say to keep it down to one page (and a reasonable font, not like this).

Also, some schools do re-review your application upon receiving a letter of interest/update letter; it's not always so useless!

Jonnymed

10+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I have a family friend that works in admissions at a Med school. He told me that letters of intent (prior to rejection or waitlist) will not help you at all.

JTubule1386

10+ Year Member
May 7, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Well I know that, I've been waitlisted that's why I'm sending it. I got it down to a page so that should be good.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.