another rank list help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cj0415

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all, i know my top and bottom ones, but i am having some trouble ranking the middle ones, so any input would be really helpful. thanks!!!

BIDMC
NYU
Mt. Sinai
Yale
Northwestern
U Chicago

Members don't see this ad.

cj0415 said:
hey all, i know my top and bottom ones, but i am having some trouble ranking the middle ones, so any input would be really helpful. thanks!!!

BIDMC
NYU
Mt. Sinai
Yale
Northwestern
U Chicago

All are solid programs with different strengths. You are going to be well-trained from any of these places. It is hard to give advice without knowing what you value most highly, whether that is location, autonomy, variety of clinical experiences, reputation, happiness of residents, research opporutnities, etc. I visited NYU, BIDMC, and Sinai so if you have specific aspects of those programs that you'd like to discuss I'd be happy to do so.

U Chicago
Yale = BIDMC
NYU
Mt. Sinai = Northwestern

Members don't see this ad :)
you are completely right, it is hard to rank without knowing a little about what i value. ideally, the perfect program would be include stellar repuation, nice people, great location in a great city, nice facility, good anciliary support ... but that's asking for alot, i honestly don't think there is no such a place.

so, here are some of my thoughts on these program, maybe others can comment too. i esp welcome what all of you think of BIDMC's repuation comparing with the two chicago programs.

BIDMC - great program overall, good facility and ancillary, but i don't love the boston
Sinai/NYU - i like NYC alot, Sinai has better ancillary and facility. interns at NYU seem to get scuted out alot
Northwestern/ U Chicago - NW has a beautiful hospital and a great location in chicago (although i like NYC better), but if i were to move to chicago, got to consider U Chicago has a better rep
Yale - great program, not loving New Haven

BigBadBix said:
All are solid programs with different strengths. You are going to be well-trained from any of these places. It is hard to give advice without knowing what you value most highly, whether that is location, autonomy, variety of clinical experiences, reputation, happiness of residents, research opporutnities, etc. I visited NYU, BIDMC, and Sinai so if you have specific aspects of those programs that you'd like to discuss I'd be happy to do so.

you are completely right, it is hard to rank without knowing a little about what i value. ideally, the perfect program would be include stellar repuation, nice people, great location in a great city, nice facility, good anciliary support ... but that's asking for alot, i honestly don't think there is no such a place.

so, here are some of my thoughts on these program, maybe others can comment too. i esp welcome what all of you think of BIDMC's repuation comparing with the two chicago programs.

BIDMC - great program overall, good facility and ancillary, but i don't love the boston
Sinai/NYU - i like NYC alot, Sinai has better ancillary and facility. interns at NYU seem to get scuted out alot
Northwestern/ U Chicago - NW has a beautiful hospital and a great location in chicago (although i like NYC better), but if i were to move to chicago, got to consider U Chicago has a better rep

BigBadBix said:

cj0415 said:

OK, that is very helpful. Taking your preferences into account, here's my $0.02:

I didn't apply to the Chicago programs, but my impression from the interview trail is that U Chicago definitely has a stronger rep than BIDMC. BIDMC and NW seem about equal in terms of rep (others feel free to correct me if I'm off base here). BIDMC might have a slight edge, but I doubt it's enough to make up for living in a city you don't enjoy. Of course, if you are concerned about reputation among non-physicians, BIDMC will have the edge over all these places b/c of the Harvard association.

If you can at all stand Boston, I would put BIDMC above Sinai and NYU since it has them beat on everything you are looking for except location. If you really hate Boston, I'd stick it below Sinai and perhaps NYU as well. I don't think you would be sacrificing too much by doing so, and if you would really be happier in NYC it's probably worth it.

Re: Sinai vs NYU, sounds like Sinai has more of what you are looking for, so it makes sense to rank them higher (I personally preferred NYU but I don't think it's for everyone). However, I should mention that on my interview I got the sense that there was a decent amount of scut at Sinai. All NYC programs are going to have some scut, and with NYU's ancillary services improving I'm not sure they are going to be any worse than Sinai.

I hope that is at least somewhat helpful! Good luck with your decision.

-BBB

OK, that is very helpful. Taking your preferences into account, here's my $0.02:

I didn't apply to the Chicago programs, but my impression from the interview trail is that U Chicago definitely has a stronger rep than BIDMC. BIDMC and NW seem about equal in terms of rep (others feel free to correct me if I'm off base here). BIDMC might have a slight edge, but I doubt it's enough to make up for living in a city you don't enjoy. Of course, if you are concerned about reputation among non-physicians, BIDMC will have the edge over all these places b/c of the Harvard association.

If you can at all stand Boston, I would put BIDMC above Sinai and NYU since it has them beat on everything you are looking for except location. If you really hate Boston, I'd stick it below Sinai and perhaps NYU as well. I don't think you would be sacrificing too much by doing so, and if you would really be happier in NYC it's probably worth it.

Re: Sinai vs NYU, sounds like Sinai has more of what you are looking for, so it makes sense to rank them higher (I personally preferred NYU but I don't think it's for everyone). However, I should mention that on my interview I got the sense that there was a decent amount of scut at Sinai. All NYC programs are going to have some scut, and with NYU's ancillary services improving I'm not sure they are going to be any worse than Sinai.

I hope that is at least somewhat helpful! Good luck with your decision.

-BBB

Just out of curiosity, why do people HATE Boston? Sorry to bump this thread from many many years back, but was looking for honest answers.

Just out of curiosity, why do people HATE Boston? Sorry to bump this thread from many many years back, but was looking for honest answers.

I'd like to think it has to do with the red sox :soexcited:

Is U of Chicago's reputation actually that much better than Northwestern? Especially with some recent faculty defections and their financial woes, and their hospital being older and more run down vs. the fancy Northwestern campus, I would just think that NW would be going up vs. U of C going down? But I know that traditionally U of C has been thought more "academic" and that they have traditionally done well in the IM fellowship matches.

Is U of Chicago's reputation actually that much better than Northwestern? Especially with some recent faculty defections and their financial woes, and their hospital being older and more run down vs. the fancy Northwestern campus, I would just think that NW would be going up vs. U of C going down? But I know that traditionally U of C has been thought more "academic" and that they have traditionally done well in the IM fellowship matches.

I think people underestimate the impact that a program director can have on fellowship matches...Outside of the MGH/BWH/UCSF/Hopkins crowd, a strong advocate in a pushy PD who has connections can go a very long way in getting someone a spot.

I think people underestimate the impact that a program director can have on fellowship matches...Outside of the MGH/BWH/UCSF/Hopkins crowd, a strong advocate in a pushy PD who has connections can go a very long way in getting someone a spot.

can not agree more.. I have seen fellowship matches at a few top 25 programs go down in the last few years with changes in PDs

This was my impression as well - that traditionally U of C has been higher regarded than NU but that things may shift due to some of the financial pressures U of C is facing. Having said that, at my interview, they were very clear that the current financial condition of the hospital is stable. They are building a $750 million new hospital pavilion that is slated to open in 2012. It would be hard to do this if they weren't doing well financially, right?

Either way, I had a great time at both interviews. Both are very different and each have their respective strengths. Definitely a cut about the other Chicago programs and I doubt any grads from these programs will have any difficulty matching at competitive places for fellowship.

BIDMC
NYU
Mt. Sinai
Yale
Northwestern
U Chicago

You can't go wrong, but I'd rank

UChicago, Yale, NW, BID, Mt Sinai, NYU. I just LOVE the city of Chicago!:laugh: and it's a great program

You have Yale two slots too high; sorry, New Haven is a dump.

New Haven is dumpy; and that includes the medical facilities found there, and the lack of clinical and research opportunities, as compared to those institutions listed above.

(By the way, I could very well write paragraphs disparaging the city of Baltimore as a Hellhole, but I would just be stating the obvious.) :D

New Haven is dumpy; and that includes the medical facilities found there, and the lack of clinical and research opportunities, as compared to those institutions listed above.

(By the way, I could very well write paragraphs disparaging the city of Baltimore as a Hellhole, but I would just be stating the obvious.) :D

Lack of clinical and research opportunities??
Have you actually been to Yale?

Personally I would rank Yale above all the above programs. Main drawback is New Haven - but actually that isn't bad at all. When I interviewed there for IM residency, I saw their fellowship match list and it's really really good.

Lack of clinical and research opportunities??
Have you actually been to Yale?

Personally I would rank Yale above all the above programs. Main drawback is New Haven - but actually that isn't bad at all. When I interviewed there for IM residency, I saw their fellowship match list and it's really really good.

As an example, the 2006 Cardiology fellowship match for Yale was:
Cleveland Clinic x2
UCSF
Stanford
Yale x2
Mount Sinai
NYU

They have a lot of clinical research opportunities including the Robert Wood Johnson scholar's program.
Most Yale students do not stay for IM residency because most of them consistently match at "top 5 residencies" like BWH, MGH,UCSF & Penn but the Yale program is very good.

As an example, the 2006 Cardiology fellowship match for Yale was:
Cleveland Clinic x2
UCSF
Stanford
Yale x2
Mount Sinai
NYU

They have a lot of clinical research opportunities including the Robert Wood Johnson scholar's program.
Most Yale students do not stay for IM residency because most of them consistently match at "top 5 residencies" like BWH, MGH,UCSF & Penn but the Yale program is very good.

source?