Another reason to not get sick in NYC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I feel I would be happier in a big city compared to a small town place D:

NYC doesn't have that many rude people. Lots of diversity, lots of things to do. I guess the tourists feel bad when they walk insanely slow or something lol. But, I find that if you get lost, almost everyone is super helpful. Plus, the subway/bus systems makes it so there are people in their 20s who don't need to waste money on a car :p

Members don't see this ad.

I feel I would be happier in a big city compared to a small town place D:

NYC doesn't have that many rude people. Lots of diversity, lots of things to do. I guess the tourists feel bad when they walk insanely slow or something lol. But, I find that if you get lost, almost everyone is super helpful. Plus, the subway/bus systems makes it so there are people in their 20s who don't need to waste money on a car :p

Yeah, it's only slow people who get pushed. And if you pull out a map or a camera, I might mug you out of spite.

Aside from that, we're actually not that bad, just busy so get the **** out of our way. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
And NYC being a third world country? I feel like someone is only blinded by the "ghetto" places. Of course it's gonna look bad compared to the other 80% of NYC.

Someone saying NYC sucks because they only went to the Bronx and parts of Brooklyn are kinda skewed >.<

Very interesting. I'm trying to find a more recent report.

For those not willing to open the PDF, here's the punch line:

Findings

As shown in the adjacent figures, New York City's net contribution to the rest of the state in SFY0001 totaled $11 billion when the personal income tax is allocated according to the workplace of the taxpayer. When allocated according to taxpayer residence, NYC's net contribution totaled about $7 billion.

NYC suburbs were also major net contributors. Long Island's net contribution was between $800 million and nearly $3 billion in SFY0001. The Lower Hudson Valley (Westchester, Rockland, Dutchess and Orange counties) made a net contribution of between $700 million and $2.5 billion. The range of these estimates reflects the difference between allocating PIT revenue by workplace (often Manhattan) versus residence (often Long Island and the Lower Hudson Valley).

Upstate metros (excluding the Capital District), by contrast, were net recipients in FY0001 of almost $4 billion. Counties not in metropolitan areas were net recipients in the amount of just over $2 billion.

Albany's obviously the biggest parasite (just by the nature of the beast).

The stock market crash may have changed the degree of the imbalance for more recent years, but I am sure the overall picture is the same - without NYC tax revenue, upstate would wither and die.

You are correct Sir. I found a more recent report from fiscal year 2009-2010.

"New York City and the Downstate Suburbs "give" far more to
Albany in taxes and other revenues than they "get" in
state-funded expenditures. The Capital Region and the Rest of
State, by contrast, get significantly more than they give."
(Source: http://www.rockinst.org/pdf/nys_government/2011-12-Giving_and_Getting.pdf)

So I guess its better to live and work outside of the city :p Lower cost of living, lower taxes, and you get more state money :p

And NYC being a third world country? I feel like someone is only blinded by the "ghetto" places. Of course it's gonna look bad compared to the other 80% of NYC.

Someone saying NYC sucks because they only went to the Bronx and parts of Brooklyn are kinda skewed >.<

Dude, I've lived here my whole life. There are only a minority of neighborhoods that are decent to live in and they are highly expensive. There is almost no neighborhood where you do not hear a siren at least once every couple of hours or where you can park your car for free. Or where people won't yell at you or honk at you for a multitude of things you could be doing wrong. Such as not crossing the street fast enough, making a u-turn, holding the subway doors, not holding subway doors, spend more than 1 second stopped after the light turned green, drive too slow, walk too slow, etc. etc.

You are correct Sir. I found a more recent report from fiscal year 2009-2010.

"New York City and the Downstate Suburbs "give" far more to
Albany in taxes and other revenues than they "get" in
state-funded expenditures. The Capital Region and the Rest of
State, by contrast, get significantly more than they give."
(Source: http://www.rockinst.org/pdf/nys_government/2011-12-Giving_and_Getting.pdf)

So I guess its better to live and work outside of the city :p Lower cost of living, lower taxes, and you get more state money :p

Dude, I've lived here my whole life. There are only a minority of neighborhoods that are decent to live in and they are highly expensive. There is almost no neighborhood where you do not hear a siren at least once every couple of hours or where you can park your car for free. Or where people won't yell at you or honk at you for a multitude of things you could be doing wrong. Such as not crossing the street fast enough, making a u-turn, holding the subway doors, not holding subway doors, spend more than 1 second stopped after the light turned green, drive too slow, walk too slow, etc. etc.

Please relay this information to those upstate dicks next time you see them, k?

I heard from upstate residents that it is the other way around actually. Ever notice how clean and pothole free upstate New York is (for the most part)? All this subsidized housing and social programs in the city suck out a lot of state money too.

I'm from upstate new York. Upstate new York looks like central PA. Which is to say completely in disrepair and neglect. Whoever told you upstate looks nice is either living in westchester, a liar, or closed his eyes the whole way to some pocket of fall weather tourism that he waa driving to.

Want to look up the most crime ridden cities in America? Rochester and buffalo will be way up there. Most depressed economically? Utica and poughkeepsie

I'm from upstate new York. Upstate new York looks like central PA. Which is to say completely in disrepair and neglect. Whoever told you upstate looks nice is either living in westchester, a liar, or closed his eyes the whole way to some pocket of fall weather tourism that he waa driving to.

Want to look up the most crime ridden cities in America? Rochester and buffalo will be way up there. Most depressed economically? Utica and poughkeepsie

Don't forget Saratoga or Lake George ;)

Don't forget Saratoga or Lake George ;)

Lake george ill give you. I've been to saratoga off season... That place is a depressing ghost town most of the year. Fancy restaurants are just an unsettling facade if theyre all either empty or actually closed until around face season.

Lake george ill give you. I've been to saratoga off season... That place is a depressing ghost town most of the year. Fancy restaurants are just an unsettling facade if theyre all either empty or actually closed until around face season.

Lake George is a definite, it's my second favorite lake in the world next to Lake Cuomo, just something about it. Saratoga is definitely a summer town, as is most of the whole Adirondack area. The winters in the northeast in general are fairly brutal, but Lake Place/White Face has some pretty decent skiing, as far as east coast skiing goes.

Clearly NYC is the pride of the state, but I would say there's a few nice spots here and there; The finger lakes and all their wineries are pretty decent for a long weekend, but not some place I could live.

Yeah, it's only slow people who get pushed. And if you pull out a map or a camera, I might mug you out of spite.

Aside from that, we're actually not that bad, just busy so get the **** out of our way. :D

:thumbup:

Just gonna drop this too and then disappear.

http://www.villagevoice.com/2012-08-08/news/offshore-med-school-scholarships/

<poof I disappear>

Pretty apt depiction. LOL.

8084158.28.jpg