Another school list...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mvenus929

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You can check out my basic stats in my MDApps profile. It's been revamped for this application cycle.

I'm working on my list of schools and need some help. I'm thinking about applying to about 15 schools, which would be about double the number I applied to last time. I got 4 interviews last time, and my application looks much better now, so I'm hoping to get in somewhere.

I'm definitely applying to:

Colorado
Mt. Sinai
NYU

I've applied to those schools before, interviewed at two of them. I need to look a little more into the following schools before I place them on my list, but they're strong considerations:

U Penn
UVA
St Louis U
VCU

I'm slightly considering these schools as well:

UNC (family lives in NC)
U of South Carolina (went to hs down the street)

I've narrowed the total list down to about 40 schools, but I'm not sure which other ones to apply to. I really think my chances at highest at Colorado and I am having trouble seeing myself anywhere else. But, considering the treatment they gave me last time, I want to play it safe.

Any opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
mdapps isnt working for now but what is the university of philadelphia?

Members don't see this ad :)
you are good for everywhere. I graduated in 3 too and had a tough time getting in this year and got in off the waitlist after some persistence.

i'm sure working/volunteering for a year has made you better prepared and more mature. you will rock the cycle (i hope).

did you interview at nyu/mssm/and colorado. def apply to Penn, its amazing.

i'd also go see admissions/dean of colorado if possible. you have a strong interest in serving your state and i would hope that they are welcoming.

you are good for everywhere. I graduated in 3 too and had a tough time getting in this year and got in off the waitlist after some persistence.

i'm sure working/volunteering for a year has made you better prepared and more mature. you will rock the cycle (i hope).

did you interview at nyu/mssm/and colorado. def apply to Penn, its amazing.

i'd also go see admissions/dean of colorado if possible. you have a strong interest in serving your state and i would hope that they are welcoming.

I interviewed at Colorado and NYU. I got flat out rejected from Colorado and waitlisted until I withdrew 2 weeks before school started at NYU. I also interviewed at Einstein, and they flat out rejected me. MSSM did not interview me, but they're my reach school :)

What's wrong with your last cycle? Did you submit your application in Oct or what?

You look like a very well rounded applicant, can't really figure out why you didn't get in somewhere last time...PS or late application maybe? I think you'll be in great shape this cycle.

Did you meet with anyone with Colorado after you go rejected to find out why? Your stats are very good, I would bet money that it was due to being young, I keep hearing Colorado really likes older students. Hopefully you will do better this year with those great stats and more experiences.

What's wrong with your last cycle? Did you submit your application in Oct or what?

Ha ha... I submitted my primary June 19th. Was complete at almost all my schools by the end of August (the exception was Colorado, I think, because they didn't open their secondary until the end of August). I got invited in the first round of interviews at all the schools I got interviews at. And then I got waitlisted on Oct 15th at one school, rejected in January at another, rejected in March at Colorado, waitlisted in March, rejected off a waitlist in April, and withdrew from the waitlist at the end of July.

Did you meet with anyone with Colorado after you go rejected to find out why? Your stats are very good, I would bet money that it was due to being young, I keep hearing Colorado really likes older students. Hopefully you will do better this year with those great stats and more experiences.

I didn't have a chance to make the trip up to Denver to find out why they rejected me, and I was pretty sure I knew why. Very rarely does someone get rejected and not have a clue as to why. I'm pretty sure it was, in part, because I was so young; one of my friends in nearly the exact same position as me also got flat out rejected from Colorado. I also didn't have much in the way of clinical experience... I had a couple shadowing gigs, and had been working at the pediatrician's office for a month or two at my interviews, but my only other clinical experience was volunteering in the hospital peds playroom for a year (I wasn't allowed to volunteer in the ER or cuddling babies because I wasn't old enough).

But, it was for the best. I wasn't ready for med school a year ago. Too much was happening in my personal life for me to really cope with the stresses. I'm much more mature and ready to start now.

Ha ha... I submitted my primary June 19th. Was complete at almost all my schools by the end of August (the exception was Colorado, I think, because they didn't open their secondary until the end of August). I got invited in the first round of interviews at all the schools I got interviews at. And then I got waitlisted on Oct 15th at one school, rejected in January at another, rejected in March at Colorado, waitlisted in March, rejected off a waitlist in April, and withdrew from the waitlist at the end of July.

I didn't have a chance to make the trip up to Denver to find out why they rejected me, and I was pretty sure I knew why. Very rarely does someone get rejected and not have a clue as to why. I'm pretty sure it was, in part, because I was so young; one of my friends in nearly the exact same position as me also got flat out rejected from Colorado. I also didn't have much in the way of clinical experience... I had a couple shadowing gigs, and had been working at the pediatrician's office for a month or two at my interviews, but my only other clinical experience was volunteering in the hospital peds playroom for a year (I wasn't allowed to volunteer in the ER or cuddling babies because I wasn't old enough).

But, it was for the best. I wasn't ready for med school a year ago. Too much was happening in my personal life for me to really cope with the stresses. I'm much more mature and ready to start now.

did you re-apply immediately or wait a year?

you are such a reasonable and mature person!

Any input on which schools I should apply to?

UNC (family lives in NC)

Id skip these 2 schools unless you are an instate resident. They are not very OOS friendly...theres a ton of private schools you could apply too, instead of randomly listing 30 schools, do you have any idea of an area youd like to live/wont live in? I mean you could add near 10 schools just off NY and IL alone. Other then the 2 listed above your schools at least seem reasonable.

UNC (family lives in NC)

Id skip these 2 schools unless you are an instate resident. They are not very OOS friendly...theres a ton of private schools you could apply too, instead of randomly listing 30 schools, do you have any idea of an area youd like to live/wont live in? I mean you could add near 10 schools just off NY and IL alone. Other then the 2 listed above your schools at least seem reasonable.

I got an interview at USC the first time I applied (I interviewed with the EDP applicants, actually). I have strong in-state connections there... as I said, I went to high school literally down the street. I had to drive by the medical school every day to get to school. My family still owns a house there. I have a good chance of getting in. UNC I'm only kind of considering for the reasons you state.

I want to live in an area that has a pretty good metropolitan area. I want to live somewhere where grass grows naturally. I don't particularly want to go to a research powerhouse, as research isn't one of my interests.

Last edited:
U of Colorado
U of South Carolina
UPenn
UVA
NYU
MCW
Mt. Sinai

Pending... (checking to see if I meet requirements for school and if they have some of the features I want in the surrounding area)

Jefferson
EVMS
VA Commonwealth
Temple
Penn State
Drexel

Thoughts?