Another school thread: UMDNJ vs. Dartmouth vs. Pitt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johncalvin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm down to deciding between the three schools:

UMDNJ-NJMS = $16k/year ($10k/year scholarship)
Pitt = $40k/year (assuming no scholarship)
Dartmouth = $30k/year (some financial aid)

I haven't included cost-of-living in the above estimates, of course. I'm not sure what type of residency I'm shooting for yet, but I want to keep my options open. Want to eventually end in NYC or the Bay Area.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't included cost-of-living in the above estimates, of course. I'm not sure what type of residency I'm shooting for yet, but I want to keep my options open. Want to eventually end in NYC or the Bay Area.

Thanks.

first of all, great job on these acceptances. you've done well!

im not sure how much finances are important to you. IMO, they are the most important thing to consider. if you can swallow the debt though, id go with pitt (as i think most would). dartmouth just seems too boring/middle of nowhere. not familiar with umdnj. pitt has that HUGE hill (Mountain?) though...

Thanks.

O that's a tough decision to make. Hmm, I would have to say go with the state school b/c 16K is sooo cheap!!! But if Darthmouth and Pitt are your dream schools, I would go with them. Remember you worked hard to get into them, and if this is what you have wanted, go with Darthmouth or Pitt. You don't want any regrets in the future....

In terms of ending up in the Bay Area, I would say going to Dartmouth and Pitt might be a bit better (as they are more well known). But it is entirely possible from Jersey state schools as well (b/c they are good schools too).

Members don't see this ad :)
I am waitlisted at NJMS (from where I will withdraw), and accepted to Pitt, too. Don't know much about Dartmouth.

Although they are throwing money your way, I don't know if I would attend NJMS. While I was there, I got the impression that the school was not really well organized and run. I had my interview, had lunch and then left for Penn station. While on the bus, they called me back to the admissions office because they had intended me to interview with someone else, and they had just forgotten to tell me. I just got this impression that things were not very well planned out.

Also, I talked to a 2nd year who told me that if he was in the same position as I was, he would go to the best school he had been accepted to... What I got from this was that even though NJMS is a good school, there were somethings that they were not doing great at. That was a huge warning sign for me...

I think the opportunities at Pitt can't be matched by NJMS. Although I am convinced that it is the student who makes his/her destiny, I think the path to success is easier at Pitt than at NJMS, even if the advantage is small.

That and the fact that I'm mainly interested in research tip the balance in favor of Pitt, even though it will be more expensive.

Hope that helped!!!

That's a big difference between UMDNJ and Pitt.

It would be a similar money situation if I were to get into my state school and Pitt. I would still choose Pitt.

I know a little about dartmouth. Dartmouth is in the middle of nowhere so unless you enjoy the great out doors, some awesome skiing in the winter, I would reconsider. There's surpring amount of good food in the area. If you are looking to spend a peaceful 4 years in med school, i think it would be a great choice. A great place to study. There's no bars/clubs at dartmouth of any sort...so if you are into that, also reconsider. Save place, beautiful hospital though nothing on the scale of UPMC. it's a tough choice but it comes down to whether or no you want to be in a city or in rural town.

Thanks for all the responses people!

In my mind, there are certain pros/cons to each school. NJMS is solid for placing into NYC, and their match-list isn't too shabby (2009 wasn't a stellar year though; still waiting for the 2010 list).

Dartmouth has great clinical opportunities (now that they have full partnership with California Pacific Medical Center for most core-clerkships) and a smaller class. I like to travel too.

Pitt, of course, is the giant elephant in the room. My only real reservation is the $$, and while I come from a pretty middle-class family, I'm only 22. I'll have time to pay back the hefty loans, I guess?

If you have more to add, keep it coming! Thanks again.

Personally, I feel like UPITT is the best fit. While you would be paying a lot more for your medical school education there is always a reason as to why there is a hefty price tage associated with the name.

That's just my $0.02 though. I also hear they have an incredible MPH program!

I say WITHDRAW FROM PITT.

(Just kidding, I'm waitlisted there and maybe I could get your spot :p)

Seriously though, if Pitt comes through with ZERO financial aid I would choose NJ. Pitt is amazing, of course, and dartmouth has a cool program as well, but I'm not sure a name is worth an extra 120 grand + interest. Good job getting in, I wish that yours was a decision I had to make!

By the way, I'm waiting to hear back from my Super cheap state school and if I got into both there and Pitt w/o financial aid I think I'd be forced to choose my state school even though I heart Pitt.

I'd say NJ, hands down. While Pitt is a great school, when it comes down to it, med school is about what you put in, not where you are.

There is a lot of financial uncertainty in medicine these days, and 40k vs. 16k means an extra 100k in loans for attending Pitt. 100k is nothing to laugh at, and without knowing 100% what your salary will be, I'd go with the money. IMHO, match lists reflect more about the quality of students that attend said school, and not the school itself. If you work hard at NJ, you can match where you want.

(also remember, tuition goes up ~5% a year, which is 2k a year at pitt and 0.75k/year at NJ)

All that being said, Pitt has a reputation for financial generosity. If they throw some money your way (I'd say ~15k/year would be enough for me to switch, but you have decide what your threshhold is), then drop NJ like a hot potato.

Oh, and if you do decide NJ over Pitt due to the $$, then give Pitt a call/write them and tell them that and see if they offer you anything.

Can't hurt and you might get lucky.

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking about $10k/year. My personal threshold is a simple rule-of-thumb: make do with Stafford loans. If you have to dip into Grad PLUS loans (so over $46k/year), you have to rethink it:

All that being said, Pitt has a reputation for financial generosity. If they throw some money your way (I'd say ~15k/year would be enough for me to switch, but you have decide what your threshhold is), then drop NJ like a hot potato.

Oh, and if you do decide NJ over Pitt due to the $$, then give Pitt a call/write them and tell them that and see if they offer you anything.

Can't hurt and you might get lucky.

Any suggestions on how to go about this delicate process? I don't want to come off as a haggler!

I say WITHDRAW FROM PITT.

(Just kidding, I'm waitlisted there and maybe I could get your spot :p)

Seriously though, if Pitt comes through with ZERO financial aid I would choose NJ. Pitt is amazing, of course, and dartmouth has a cool program as well, but I'm not sure a name is worth an extra 120 grand + interest. Good job getting in, I wish that yours was a decision I had to make!

By the way, I'm waiting to hear back from my Super cheap state school and if I got into both there and Pitt w/o financial aid I think I'd be forced to choose my state school even though I heart Pitt.

Thanks for the wishes. I was waitlisted at Pitt, too, originally, but got off a couple of days ago. I thought that made my decision easy, but then literally within 2 days I received the scholarship at UMDNJ, and a Dartmouth acceptance.

Good luck to you...hope you get into Pitt, too.

Did you ever decide where you were going to end up going?

Status
Not open for further replies.