another "should i apply now" question, sorry guys

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ycheung8

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just want some advice as to whether I should still aim for the 2008 application cycle. It's pretty late, and I feel unprepared, especially since I still haven't finished up my personal statement.

My GPA is 3.5 and my science GPA is 3.3. I took my MCAT in August, but it's not going to be especially high.

I just started volunteering at the hospital this summer, which is pretty late, I know. And basically that's my only health related EC. I have other EC such as being part of hall government for about 3 years, a magazine for three years, and editor-in-chief this upcoming semester, etc. But it still works against my favor to have so little health related experience.

I was thinking of applying this cycle, but it's so late, and my stats aren't anywhere near stellar.

Should I apply now?

I should definitely apply in the 2009 cycle, shouldn't I? That's what I've been thinking after I started to take a step back and look at my situation.

********edit********
I'm getting a lot of pressure from my family to apply during this cycle (but of course I realize, that they don't know much about the process) and to reapply next year if needed. I was wondering one more question, how much does it count against you to be a reapplicant?

I've looked this up on websites and most schools recommend against reapplying until you've significantly improved your app, but I'm not sure how significantly I will improve my app from right now until the next application cycle. I'll have one more year of volunteer experience, and try to become an EMT in my gap year. I don't think my GPA and MCAT scores will change drastically.

Members don't see this ad.

just based on having such little health EC, I think that it will really work against you. It doesnt show commitment...your application needs to be complete in every area.

I recommend next year, but if you like to try, you can try a few school just to feel things out, the problem is that it will make you a reapplicant next year, and that means 1 more essay each school

Members don't see this ad :)
With you just beginning volunteering and few EC's, I would suggest waiting considering you are starting this cycle later than others. With a little effort you should be well prepared for the 2009 cycle.

Apply next year. We've seen so many of these borderline applicants not get in anywhere and it is usually due to a late application. A 3.5/30 should get you in somewhere if you apply on time and intelligently.

Apply next year. We've seen so many of these borderline applicants not get in anywhere and it is usually due to a late application. A 3.5/30 should get you in somewhere if you apply on time and intelligently.

So true. I think general rule of thumb as of today, August 21, is that if you're strongly considering starting a "Should I apply this year" thread on SDN, then you should strongly consider applying next year.

To toss the sarcasm aside: OP, if you work on clinical experience for a year, ensure that your MCAT is a 30, and apply early (as in early June 2008), you should not have great difficulty getting into medical school next year. I've learned really quickly that this process is far too expensive and crazy to do more than once.

I recommend next year, but if you like to try, you can try a few school just to feel things out, the problem is that it will make you a reapplicant next year, and that means 1 more essay each school[/QUOTE]

:confused: reapps have a extra essay? damn..

*bump*

So I guess that really begs the question of what kind of job I should get during my year off, and whether I should just take science classes in my senior year of college to pump up my GPA a little. I kinda went on a downward trend since freshman year to now. I'm not sure how ADCOMS would look at that since I started from a 4.0 and gradually went downwards.

*bump*

So I guess that really begs the question of what kind of job I should get during my year off, and whether I should just take science classes in my senior year of college to pump up my GPA a little. I kinda went on a downward trend since freshman year to now. I'm not sure how ADCOMS would look at that since I started from a 4.0 and gradually went downwards.

If you aren't optimistic about your MCAT it would be crazy to apply. And if you haven't started lining up LORs, that could take a while -- some can take a month of prodding. I would suggest you sit out a cycle, see if you need to fix the MCAT, and buff up some of your credentials.

I'm getting a lot of pressure from my family to apply during this cycle (but of course I realize, that they don't know much about the process). I was wondering one more question, how much does it count against you to be a reapplicant?

I've looked this up on websites and most schools recommend against reapplying until you've significantly improved your app, but I'm not sure how significantly I will improve my app from right now until the next application cycle. I'll have one more year of volunteer experience, and try to become an EMT in my gap year. I don't think my GPA and MCAT scores will change drastically.

Tell them point blank that attempting to apply this cycle will hurt your chances to get in to med school at any point in time. You really must not be afraid to tell your family the truth. It will hurt you much more than it will help them.

Start doing some shadowing now, you need to show interest in the medical profession. Hospital volunteering can be valuable, or not. Maybe other volunteering is a possibility, even if it is only a few hours a month, but consistent. Remember, they are going to ask ,"why medicine?" and you better be prepared to answer.

I'm getting a lot of pressure from my family to apply during this cycle (but of course I realize, that they don't know much about the process). I was wondering one more question, how much does it count against you to be a reapplicant?

yea I'm wondering this too? will the adcoms hassle somebody for taking a year off? will they look down on ur application then?

*what's the scenerio like if you don' apply at all, and wait till next cycle? even though you've been interested in med all ur life? its just the reason of the low mcat or late application that you waited to apply?

*and what about if you did apply and did not get in? and will be a reapplicant?

You have a shot, but you're not ready. Don't waste thousands of dollars when you can get in the next cycle. I know you're under pressure from your family, Asian parents do that. However, it is not about what THEY want for you, this is about getting into medical school.

Your one glaring weakness is the lack of medically related experience, so invest some time volunteering to address that.

Being a below average applicant (GPA/MCAT-wise) AND lack clinical experience AND apply late is like playing Russian Roulette with 5 bullets in the chamber.

yea I'm wondering this too? will the adcoms hassle somebody for taking a year off? will they look down on ur application then?

*what's the scenerio like if you don' apply at all, and wait till next cycle? even though you've been interested in med all ur life? its just the reason of the low mcat or late application that you waited to apply?

1) Adcoms won't hassle you for taking a year off provided that you did something useful with it. If you took a year off and drank it away at Margaritaville, then of course they're going to wonder what the hell you're doing. If you took a year off doing research/volunteer/work, it can only bolster your application.

2) The timing of application is not about how long you've been interested in medicine, it is about when your application is ready. If you have below average stats and glaring weaknesses in your application, adcoms won't care if you've been interested in medicine since you haven't SHOWN them that you're interested. The OP should wait to get more clinical experience and get a chance to apply earlier. The MCAT score is fine as long as it is 9+ in every section.

3) If the OP applies and did not get in, he would need to try to bolster his application in the meantime - the same thing he would be doing regardless. However, he would had wasted thousands of dollars and countless hours. More importantly, if he does not significantly improve his application, he would also had hurt his chances. The question you'll have to answer to the adcoms is "If we didn't want you last year, why would we want you now?"
And you answer that through your actions. Provide concrete examples of why you're a better applicant than you were.

Med schools don't mind if you take a year off (and a lot of people think it's even better that you took time off), provided you do something to better yourself during that time. That can mean a lot of different things to different people. Some people need to boost their GPA's or shore up LOR's (e.g. me), some want to work for a bit and see different fields or ensure that medicine is for them, and some people just need a break to reset after 16 years of school (or more).

There's no harm in waiting to apply. You want to apply when EVERYTHING is in order and sufficient to get you into med school. Reapps sometimes have harder goes of it and the entire cycle is aggravating and expensive. Do it once, do it right.

Reapplicants are viewed differently at different schools. Some schools (Wake appears to be one of them) like reapps because it shows commitment to the school. At just about any school to which you re-apply you will have to write an essay describing why you are a better candidate this year and what you have done in the past time to become more suited to med school. Some schools that you didn't even apply to the first time around will ask if you are a reapplicant. If you don't get in the first time, make sure you address shortcomings on your app in that time.

k thanks for both of u for answering my ?s I really appreicate it.

b/c for me I have everything, passion since I was born (stereotypical example) and all the E.C.'s , shadowing, volunteering, research, LORs all that stuff

Just I took the MCAT late 8/9 and not sure if it will be great or not, and also I haven't applied yet, still working on PERSONAL STATEMENT the other stuff like LOR and Transcript already sent in.

So that's why I'm curious about applying now.
b/c I want to apply and not waste 1 year but also considering avg. gpa and grades and lateness I don't know if its worth it.

My brother said to apply and if I don't get in, just reapply, but since you all said I would need to show improvement: the only thing I could improve on would be to GET HIGHER MCAT (if needed), EMT?, or WORK REAL JOB AT HOSPITAL, other than that I have all the other options already done...so what would you all recommend?

*Financially for applying is no prob, my fam said they will help w/ that since this is important so plz let me know what you all think I should do!! :eek:

I greatly appreciate all the comments and help! :D

Different schools view reapplicants differently. Generally reapplicants have a harder road as they are expected to show substantial improvements from the prior cycle, and since the time between when one cycle ends and the next starts is brief, it can often mean having to sit out a year somewhere along the line anyhow. It cannot be disputed that your goal should be to only have to go through this process once. If we are talking about an MCAT you think won't be high, then sit it out wait and see -- if it's good it will still be good next cycle. If it's not good, you can fix it by next cycle (and apply early to boot).

k thanks for both of u for answering my ?s I really appreicate it.

b/c for me I have everything, passion since I was born (stereotypical example) and all the E.C.'s , shadowing, volunteering, research, LORs all that stuff

Just I took the MCAT late 8/9 and not sure if it will be great or not, and also I haven't applied yet, still working on PERSONAL STATEMENT the other stuff like LOR and Transcript already sent in.

So that's why I'm curious about applying now.
b/c I want to apply and not waste 1 year but also considering avg. gpa and grades and lateness I don't know if its worth it.

My brother said to apply and if I don't get in, just reapply, but since you all said I would need to show improvement: the only thing I could improve on would be to GET HIGHER MCAT (if needed), EMT?, or WORK REAL JOB AT HOSPITAL, other than that I have all the other options already done...so what would you all recommend?

*Financially for applying is no prob, my fam said they will help w/ that since this is important so plz let me know what you all think I should do!! :eek:

I greatly appreciate all the comments and help! :D

*bump* any suggestions?

PrinceAli: I don't see your stats anywhere, so it's hard to know how good your chances are for this cycle. You'll be applying in probably mid-to-late season (opinions vary), so this time is not good for a so-so applicant. I would only advise you to apply this cycle if a) you are an extremely strong applicant and/or b) you are applying very broadly and would be fine attending a lower-tier US school, Caribbean school, or DO school.

to the OP:

one thing a lot of people do is get impatient and apply when they're not ready. sounds like you may be in danger of doing that. the app process is random and its so difficult to get into a school that you really want to take your time, fix up your app, and apply when you have everything in order. i know you (or if not you, then your parents) are anxious to get started now, but i think in your case a little time off might be a good investment.