Another silly question about IM residency spots

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fantasty

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to obtain the basic tabular data for IM programs (number applicants, number interviewed, and number of positions)? All of the data I see in the FAQ and on the threads are either a) subjective rankings or b) NIH research rankings. I'm just curious about "of the people that were interested in program X, the proportion that made it through each stage."

Frieda gives you the # interviewed and positions. I didn't see anything on AMA, AAMC, Frieda, or ACP with any side-by-side data like this. I'm sure it exists, and it seems simple enough (every book comparing med schools has this info, so I would think it would be just as easy to pull together for residency programs). But, I also understand that programs probably do not want that data readily accessible to everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd love to see all this information tabulated too. But unlike med schools, which commonly publish MCAT, GPA and #applying-#interviewed-#accepted, the corresponding stats for residency programs (especially avg USMLE scores) is notoriously hard to find. If anyone knows if and where to find this information it would be great.

FRIEDA used to list this information about the number of applcants, number interviewed but they don't anymore.

sunmoon said:
FRIEDA used to list this information about the number of applcants, number interviewed but they don't anymore.

That's unfortunate... I'm still a bit away from actually needing to worry about this stuff, but I'm not terribly worried about the "ranking" per se of my IM program. I'd really rather find a spot that a) has potential long-term opportunities and b) is in the right geo-political-social-academic environment. I kind of have a list of 8 cities I'd like to go to, and most only have 1 or 2 programs that interest me. I wouldn't be terribly difficult to look up the stats for each one, but I feel like it should be some basic info that would help screen down the total number of programs out there. (And I'm all about playing the "probabilities" - go statistics!).