another stupid photo question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lals

Loner/Rebel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I snapped a couple of pictures myself, doing the best that I could on my own, and came up with what I thought were 2 perfectly acceptable pictures-- well-lit, smiling, tie, etc., only thing is they are headshots as it's pretty difficult to take a shot that includes shoulders and chest. As usual, the office of clinical education completely ignored what I wrote in my email, asking them only if either of these pictures would be ok, only to have them respond: "Your photo has been uploaded to ERAS. It is not very appropriate for a residency application. If you want to replace it, just send me another one."

Does it honestly matter that my picture is not 'from waist up, showing entire shoulders and head'?

Members don't see this ad.

So I snapped a couple of pictures myself, doing the best that I could on my own, and came up with what I thought were 2 perfectly acceptable pictures-- well-lit, smiling, tie, etc., only thing is they are headshots as it's pretty difficult to take a shot that includes shoulders and chest. As usual, the office of clinical education completely ignored what I wrote in my email, asking them only if either of these pictures would be ok, only to have them respond: "Your photo has been uploaded to ERAS. It is not very appropriate for a residency application. If you want to replace it, just send me another one."

Does it honestly matter that my picture is not 'from waist up, showing entire shoulders and head'?

I highly doubt whether programs will care, unless you have an inappropriate expression on your face. From what I've gathered, it's more of a way to get you more familiar with the adcomm (ie "oh yeah, I remember him").

But if you want a better evaluation of your photo, feel free to upload and maybe we can give you a better idea. :)

If your student affairs office, which processes these things all the time, thinks your picture is "not appropriate", I would take that advice seriously. They do tend to know what they are doing. I doubt the problem is simply the lack of your shoulders.

If your student affairs office, which processes these things all the time, thinks your picture is "not appropriate", I would take that advice seriously. They do tend to know what they are doing. I doubt the problem is simply the lack of your shoulders.

I cannot fathom how his picture could be inappropriate unless he has a haughty sneer with a monacle or is wearing one of those "arrow-thru-the-head-things." These people need to relax.

I sat in on a ranking meeting where everyone's photo was projected on a big screen so the entire room could be reminded of who the people were as we discussed them. The program director made jokes about the people with bad or weird-looking photos.
I don't know if it was a make or break thing for anyone, but I would try to take the photo seriously. If I were you I'd definitely call them up and ask them what was wrong with the photo so you can fix it.

I have it on fairly good authority that there is nothing wrong with the particular photo I've taken. It was speculated that my hint of 5 o'clock shadow is perhaps the issue, though it is not at all disheveled looking.

At any rate, given the fact the person who uploaded the photo completely ignored the purpose of the initial email (to find out if that very photo was acceptable), I cannot help but question their judgement entirely and will probably leave it alone. It's not easy making me look pretty, and I think I did a damn good job.

Does your school do graduation pictures? Can you go to the studio where they do them and have your sitting early (and order digital copy?)

Then you would have a professional one if you are feeling unsettled about it.

Does your school do graduation pictures? Can you go to the studio where they do them and have your sitting early (and order digital copy?)

Then you would have a professional one if you are feeling unsettled about it.

To my knowledge, they do not.

If I was you, I'd make it right. You don't want to be known as "Five-o'clock shadow boy" do you?