another typical 'what are my chances' :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdhopeful89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a rising junior at UF (FL resident) and so far here are my stats:

Freshman Year sGPA: 2.8 (with two drops) cGPA: 3.0
Sophomore Year sGPA: 3.6 cGPA: 3.8

Overall I'm sittin at a 3.4sGPA and 3.5cGPA. I know I screwed up my freshman year really badly, but I'm working really hard to make up for it. I'm currently involved with two clinical research projects, volunteering at a hospital, and am signed up to receive EMS certification in Fall so I can start volunteering in Spring. I'm taking the MCAT in September and am expecting around a 33 or 34. With the classes I am taking Junior year I expect to be at a 3.6sGPA and a 3.7cGPA. I know majors don't matter too much, but I am a Bio-Psych double major and plan on specializing in Psychiatry.

Am I in okay shape for FL schools? What about other low/med tier schools in the US? I don't want to do DO or Caribb.

Thanks in advance for the help!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Overall I'm sittin at a 3.4sGPA and 3.5cGPA. I know I screwed up my freshman year really badly, but I'm working really hard to make up for it. I'm currently involved with two clinical research projects, volunteering at a hospital, and am signed up to receive EMS certification in Fall so I can start volunteering in Spring. I'm taking the MCAT in September and am expecting around a 33 or 34. With the classes I am taking Junior year I expect to be at a 3.6sGPA and a 3.7cGPA. I know majors don't matter too much, but I am a Bio-Psych double major and plan on specializing in Psychiatry.

Am I in okay shape for FL schools? What about other low/med tier schools in the US? I don't want to do DO or Caribb.

If you maintain a near 4.0 your remaining 2 years, you will pull your GPA to like 3.7. With a 33-34 on the MCAT (not as easy as you may think), you will be fine at florida schools as well as less selective US MD schools. You should also expect interviews and possible acceptance from mid tiers, particularly if you can come up with publications from research.

Also, you are right - no one cares about major, you are a biological science major to the adcom. So don't kill yourself trying to do extra stuff.

Yeah, I think you can make the cut. Just make sure to keep the GPA up and do well on the MCAT to get past the initial screening process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Camaras is right that you`ll be a competitive candidate if you continue with excellent academic performance and perform as you predict on the MCAT.

Last edited:
Canjosh is right that you`ll be a competitive candidate if you continue with excellent academic performance and perform as you predict on the MCAT.

canjosh hasn't posted here. :)
how can you get things wrong when its written in red :p

But yeah OP - just stay motivated and perseverant - you should be fine!

Fixed it. I guess that bold red was too much of a distraction.