Another WAMC Thread :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

duck duck

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I recommend all your state schools and a sufficient number of schools you prefer to total about 15.
Okay! Are there any glaring deficiencies that you think I should address for my application?

Members don't see this ad :)
The sky's the limit for you.

I would add non-clinical service, especially to those in greater need than yourself.

I recommend:

Harvard
Wash U
Yale
Stanford
U Chicago
U Penn
U VA
U MI
U Colorado
U VM
U WI
Ohio State
Jefferson
U IA
UCSF, UCLA, UCSD, UCI, UCR (IF you’re from the Inland Empire)
U Cincy
Miami
Albert Einstein
Tulane
Loyola
Emory
BU
USC/Keck
Baylor
JHU
Mayo
Pitt
Northwestern
NYU
Vanderbilt
Columbia
Sinai
Cornell
Duke
Case
Hofstra
Your state school(s)

Hi SDN,

I'm a long time lurker here and I was hoping that some of you could provide your insight regarding my chances. For most of my undergrad, I was planning on only applying to regional programs. However, after obtaining my MCAT score, I started thinking that I might want to aim for some of the higher-tier allopathic schools this upcoming cycle.

Here's my information. What do you guys think?

MCAT: 39

sGPA: 3.92

Undergrad: Nothing special - I spent two years at a local CC followed by 2 years at my state university.

Clinical Experience: I have a total of 400 hours volunteering at a local hospital and at a free LGBTQIA
clinic. I am also working as a medical scribe and, by June 1st, I should have 600 hours clocked-in.

Non-Clinical Volunteering: I have a total of 150 hours of nonclinical volunteer work. This includes serving food in a soup kitchen (50 hours), community scientific outreach (30 hours), and 70 hours volunteering for a small cancer research charity.

Research: 3 years of both basic science and clinical research. This has lead to four publications (including two primary authorships) and eight abstract publications. However, these pubs are by no means Nature/Cell caliber. :)

Shadowing: 50 hours spread across Orthopedics, Gastroenterology, Family Medicine, Neurology, and Endocrinology.

Leadership: I've served as the head a research project, I've been a general science TA for two semesters, and I founded a chapter of a scientific society at my school.

Finally, I would like to thank @Goro. @gyngyn, and @LizzyM. All of your posts have been tremendously helpful!