Another Warning to Those Considering HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DaveB

Slave to The Man
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize that there are several similar threads, but I thought I'd chime in with my own story to show people what can happen to even a gung-ho HPSPer.....

Before I tell my story, let me say that when I signed up for HPSP with the Navy 4 years ago, I was very enthusiastic. Coming from a family where many spent time in the military, I wanted nothing more than to put on a uniform and serve my country. I felt I was well informed of all the negatives, and knew what to expect. I'd even read all the warnings on this board and while I had my doubts at times, in the end I still felt in my heart this was really what I wanted to do.

Like another recently disgruntled poster, I too sat and listed during OIS to people tell us that if we work hard and do well in school, we can get what we want. So, I worked hard..... When fourth year came around I decided to do orthopedics. I had good rec letters, an MPH, a list of publications to my name a page long and decent grades. I sent out my ERAS to ortho programs, and got my interviews. I got very positive responses (see my old posts). I also played the military game - I did rotations at the big Navy training hospitals, got along well with people and was told I would be a competitive applicant.

I contemplated applying for a deferment for a while, and even discussed it during several of my interviews. In the end though, I decided I wanted to be hoo-ya: do a Navy internship, go be a DMO or flight surgeon, then come back and finish my orthopedics training. I made sure that the appropriate selection board people knew this, and was again given a positive response.

Tuesday of selection board week, I received a very strange, cryptic phone call from the selection board. I was asked why I decided against a deferment - again I told them Navy training is what I wanted to do. I was told I was a good applicant, they only give full deferments to good applicants, and was then asked if I wanted to be considered for a deferment. I said sure, but my first choice would be training at a Navy facility.

Match day rolls around.... what do I match to? A 1-year deferment! I make some phone calls, and find out that almost everyone who got an ortho-track surgery internship was prior service/Naval Academy/USUHS. Despite all my academic accomplishments, I was an outsider for a spot from the very beginning. USUHS students at the bottom of their class and Academy HPSPers barely passing step 1 were picked over me (I'm actually friends with a lot of these guys, so I know who I got picked over me). Because I didn't put a full deferment as my first choice I didn't get it, and because I expressed interest in being a GMO I was determined to be a "good candidate" for a 1 year deferment.

Here is something else I learned: aparently, part of the selection system that also works against good applicants is that all programs in a speciality are required to take the same percentage of good, average and poor applicants. This is supposedly designed to ensure that all the good and bad applicants are spread out over all the different programs. So, if all the top applicants list the same program as their top choice, then it will be impossible for everyone to get their top choice, because they have to be spread out amongst the programs. When you think about this, this system actually encourages people to be average. If you're average, it doesn't matter where you go because you're not going to tip the balance either way. Thus, you're more likely to get your top choice, while the top people get tossed around. Talk about a messed up system - it makes me appreciate the NMRP all the more.

Now I'm stuck in this abyss..... I'm not really plugged into the military system, so I'll have a hard time getting a good application together for DMO or flight surgery. I'll most likely have to be a resitern if I want to stay in the Navy for my residency training. I'm not allowed to go through with my civilian training, so if I decide to go back to being a civilian after my military obligation, I'll have to re-do my internship.

I realize I signed my name on the line, collected my money, and now its time for me to pay it back. I'll go off and proudly serve my time as a GMO. What baffles me (and is the gist of my warning here) is how badly the military system treats its own people. All someone would have had to do is tell me what was going on all along. I'd taken my full deferment and gone on my way. I might have regretted not having the opportunity of being a DMO, but I'd be training in the speciality I wanted and would've been happy. Now I have to call back all the ortho programs I applied to and cancel my applications... and I don't even have a military spot to show for it. The Navy has taken someone who might have been a career officer and turned them into a bitter jaded person who'll probably walk away at the first chance he gets.

Bottom line: even if you think the military is for you, make sure you understand what you're getting into. The system is way more screwed up than you could imagine.

Members don't see this ad.

This is standard operating procedure.....expect more of it.

Just one quick comment (reserving the right to comment again when I read the message more thoroughly): in the army, at least, every program is not required to take it's share of loosers. For the second year in a row, our program at MAMC got its top 6 picks (sorry Homunculus). I know that the Navy is different and that there is great fallout and disatisfaction in the Navy for a variety of reasons.

Ed

Members don't see this ad :)
edmadison said:
For the second year in a row, our program at MAMC got its top 6 picks (sorry Homunculus).

kiss my @ss :p :p :laugh: :D

it almost makes me wish i had done an ADT out there just to see what all the fuss is about :confused: must have been the "duct tape wart treatment" study . . :cool:

--your friendly neighborhood opposite coast caveman

edmadison said:
I know that the Navy is different and that there is great fallout and disatisfaction in the Navy for a variety of reasons.

you mean reasons like they want to kill their peds department?

--your friendly neighborhood student of the obvious caveman

Wow DaveB, it looks like you really got screwed by the Navy. Although most people end up doing okay in the military match, there are always some people every year like yourself who just get unfairly screwed. Stories like yours are the main reason why I'm a little bit wary of recommending taking an HPSP scholarship to the people I know. Out of curiousity, do you think you would have definitely matched in the nrmp? If so, then I'd be pretty bitter too if I were you!

Sledge2005 said:
Wow DaveB, it looks like you really got screwed by the Navy. Although most people end up doing okay in the military match, there are always some people every year like yourself who just get unfairly screwed. Stories like yours are the main reason why I'm a little bit wary of recommending taking an HPSP scholarship to the people I know. Out of curiousity, do you think you would have definitely matched in the nrmp? If so, then I'd be pretty bitter too if I were you!

I'll never say definitely with a field as competitive as orthopedics, but the department at my school was very interested in keeping me around, and I did get interviews. I ended up not sending out a ton of applications (which can be necessary in ortho) after I decided I wanted to do Navy training and was told I wouldn't have much to worry about in the military match. So that's kind of a strike against me.

After pleading my case for the last few days, I got a phone call today telling me that I might get reconsidered for a full deferment. Aparently there are 4-5 people in a similar situation and we're all going to get a second look this week. We'll see what happens....

In the end, its not the end of the world. I still eventually will get to do what I want to do, it just may be a little more roundabout than the norm.

DaveB said:
After pleading my case for the last few days, I got a phone call today telling me that I might get reconsidered for a full deferment. Aparently there are 4-5 people in a similar situation and we're all going to get a second look this week. We'll see what happens....

Good luck with that, let us know how it turns out!

Does something like this or can something like this happen to dentists.....In other words, can a dentist serve as a GMO. I know that it is a general medical officer but is their an equivlalent for dentistry?

I just turned down the Army today because I have already received the Navy HPSP. I feel this was correct decision. I'm not worried about deploying somewhere (at least at this stage in my life) in fact I think I would like it. I really need some feedback here!!

I know this forum is for military medicine but something on dentistry would be great.

dentalguy

dentalguy said:
Does something like this or can something like this happen to dentists.....In other words, can a dentist serve as a GMO. I know that it is a general medical officer but is their an equivlalent for dentistry?

I just turned down the Army today because I have already received the Navy HPSP. I feel this was correct decision. I'm not worried about deploying somewhere (at least at this stage in my life) in fact I think I would like it. I really need some feedback here!!

I know this forum is for military medicine but something on dentistry would be great.

dentalguy

From what I've heard, dentists never get deployed as GMOs in the Navy. You guys don't have to go through a residency to be a fully practicing dentist so you'll never be deployed as anything except a dentist. The few guys I know who've done the Navy dental thing seem to be pretty content - once they get used to the beuracracy of the military. That said, they also don't have any plans to stay past their minimum commitment. (Keep in mind this is secondhand info from a limited number of people)

DaveB said:
From what I've heard, dentists never get deployed as GMOs in the Navy. You guys don't have to go through a residency to be a fully practicing dentist so you'll never be deployed as anything except a dentist. The few guys I know who've done the Navy dental thing seem to be pretty content - once they get used to the beuracracy of the military. That said, they also don't have any plans to stay past their minimum commitment. (Keep in mind this is secondhand info from a limited number of people)

I guess they aren't GMOs, but there is a dentist on my little ship and she spends as much time at sea as I do. There is talk of pulling the dentists off the smaller ships except during deployment (which would cut their sea time in half).

so you're saying that dentists might be more on bases and not on ships? HOw much time should I expect on a ship. From my research I expected 6 months at sea.....6 months at base. Is that a typical rotation?

dentalguy

dentalguy said:
so you're saying that dentists might be more on bases and not on ships? HOw much time should I expect on a ship. From my research I expected 6 months at sea.....6 months at base. Is that a typical rotation?

dentalguy

Not really. You'll either be assigned to an operational or a clinic billet. If you're assigned to an operational billet, you'll be there for 2 years. How much time you spend away depends on the job, but, if its a ship, figure on a little over a year between work-ups and deployment. If you're assigned to a clinic, you probably won't deploy but you could still rotate through Iraq.

GMO_52 said:
Not really. You'll either be assigned to an operational or a clinic billet. If you're assigned to an operational billet, you'll be there for 2 years. How much time you spend away depends on the job, but, if its a ship, figure on a little over a year between work-ups and deployment. If you're assigned to a clinic, you probably won't deploy but you could still rotate through Iraq.

Do you have a choice on being assigned to the operational or clinical billet? Wow two years? Thats something new to me. I don't have a problem rotating through Iraq....for the most part. What are the chances you will be deployed on the two year deal. And as stated in other posts, do your grades mean anything while in dental school?

dentalguy

dentalguy said:
Do you have a choice on being assigned to the operational or clinical billet? Wow two years? Thats something new to me. I don't have a problem rotating through Iraq....for the most part. What are the chances you will be deployed on the two year deal. And as stated in other posts, do your grades mean anything while in dental school?

dentalguy

I'm not sure how the billetting works for dentists. I will tell you that the dentist on my ship had been "promised" (roll you eyes here) an overseas clinic but was told that they needed to give those billets to less skilled dentists who still required supervision. Since she was such a stellar performer in her GPR, she came to the ship. PM me if you'd like her contact info. Once she's off leave, I'll ask if I can give you her email.