Another Website for Vet Students and Pre-vet hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GeekOut4Animals

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I have lurked around this site for probably a year now and have finally decided to make a post. I have used this site to get me ready for Vet School applications and I am happy to say that I have been accepted to Murdoch University in Perth, Western Australia to start Feb. 2013! This site has really been amazing, but I wanted to let everyone know about another website I found that was made by a Vet student who is now a DVM for students who are thinking about traveling abroad. However the site has grown to have Forums for universities in the US, Australia, Europe and the Caribbean!

It is called Veterinary Student Network Abroad at vsna.com

you must sign up for membership to view things, but its FREE!! :) The site is trying to grow, but I feel not many people know it exists! So please go to it, chat, lurk, and ask questions if you are interested in learning more about a specific university and if you don't see your university then add it! :)

*Side Note: Anyone else who has been accepted to Murdoch to start Feb. 2013, especially from the states-I'm from Wisconsin- I would love it if you PMed me so we could chat and get to know each other before such a big move!*

Members don't see this ad.

I am happy to say that I have been accepted to Murdoch University in Perth, Western Australia to start Feb. 2013!
d
:woot:CONGRATULATIONS!!! Thanks for the link, I will definitely check it out! I applied to Murdoch almost 2 years ago and was rejected :( I just visited Perth and the surrounding area this month and LOVED it!!! I'm about to submit my application, PS, and references for another go-round. I toured the campus and scoped out possible places to live kinda near Murdoch. When did you find out you were accepted and when did you apply? Did you apply online and ship all your info or did you use an agent? Any advice? Have you ever been to Australia before? Hopefully I will be in your class :xf: Congratulations again and good luck!

GOOD LUCK!! It took me some time to find, but I just printed the application off the website. If you need help finding it let me know and I will try and find it again for you. My Curriculum Vitae was really really detailed on certain classes and work experiences I wrote a little paragraph to emphasis what I have learned. My GPA when I applied was a 3.879 and I sent in my high school transcript, my college transcript from classes I took during my senior year (not AP classes actual college classes), then my two undergraduate transcripts. I also had 4 references, 3 of which are DVMs and 2 were my professors. Then just the printed application and I sent it all in one envelope big manilla envelope so it didn't get folded. OH and my personal statement really emphasized why I want to be a vet and how my experiences have supported that. I also went on a VIDA trip to Guatemala this past January and got to do spays and neuters (don't know if the experience helped or hurt my application-but it was the best experience of my life) If you want any help, I can email you my stuff as long as you don't steal it ;) haha I also applied for the March 31st deadline and I found out that I was accepted by email on April 23rd. If you do get accepted be prepared to pt up about $3,000 to $4,000 dollars within one month of your acceptance. I was given until May 23rd to pay $1000AUD (i used xe.com inorder to get the best exchange rate) to save my seat. They also want you to buy your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) up front for all 5 years. They quoted me around $2,400 but I am trying to bring my partner/boyfriend of 5 years so we had to find a different insurance provider that offered couples coverage for the 5 years was a total of $3,843AUD for the full 5 years. It seems like alot of money but if you think about it- thats pretty cheap for 5 years of healthcare.

I am very jealous that you got to travel there!! I have never been to AU but I really wanted to study abroad at perth when I went to my first college for a biology degree. I wanted to go to get some animal science classes, but then I transfered colleges in my home state that offered an animal science-vet tech degree so I went for that. I never gave up the idea of going to Australia so why not go for Vet school which is 5 years vs 6months for study abroad! I actually just applied for the hell of it, because it was only postage I paid for! I really didn't think I was going to get in and I had planned on taking the GRE this summer and applying for american and European schools in fall! BUT I don't have to do that now! YAY that saves a lot of money!

I wish I could travel there and find places to live, but I think my boyfriend and I have decided on living in the dorms/uni village for the first semester in order to get settled. The dorms have couples bedrooms (fullsize bed) in a unit with like 3-5 other single bedrooms with a common kitchen and living room. We are not to excited to be living with 17-19 year old students, but we will survive for 6 months. We are also hoping our family will help us ship our 2 kitties over once we find a place offcampus!

I wish you the best of luck and I really hope you can join me in February! My best advice is to let everyone check over your CV and personal statement and to really highlight what you have gotten from your experiences! and Again just PM me if you want more specific advice on what I put in my application! GOOD LUCK!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I hadn't even thought about making my CV that detailed. WA was absolutely amazing! I loved it so much and didn't want to leave. Two weeks just wasn't long enough for the price of airfare. There were two really bad storms that came by (which apparently is highly unusual there) so it was really rainy and windy for the first week. Even so, I loved it! Hopefully I will get the chance to live and study vet med there!

I think I've come across some past threads on here about the Village not being the best place to stay because of all the younger kids. However, for peace of mind of having a place to live when travelling so far, it could be worth it. Plus if you're not planning on buying a car immediately, it would probably be nice to live on campus and not have to depend on public transportation every day. Though, it was very easy to get to Murdoch from East Perth.

What the opportunity of a lifetime! Congrats again!!!

Cheers!

AHH still so jealous of your trip! :) Thanks for the thread I have read it but i havent read thro the old ones really since I have been accepted! And I definitely agree with the housing. I am torn. I have not done a village application and I probably won't until closer. I am hoping more people on here get accepted and maybe we could all get a place together instead of the village but if it comes down to it, I will do the dorms for peace of mind and the travel issues. I am not looking into a car for at least like 2+years if I can get away with it!

Good luck again!!!

Aw, don't be jealous, you get to live and study vet med there!!! Believe me, I'm the one sooooo jealous of you! Where did you print the application from? From what I've found on the website, the application can only be submitted online. I was also told a couple years ago that the application was only online. Thanks!

OK! I found the form again!!

Follow this link: https://www.murdoch.edu.au/Future-s...udents/Applying-to-Murdoch/Application-forms/

And choose undergraduate application form

If this does not work this is how I got to it:
1) Courses
2) Vet Medicine
3) Qualify and Apply tab on the left hand side under international tab (it goes Overview, Details and Fees, Course Structure, then Qualify and Apply)
4) Very bottom of that Qualify and Apply page there is a yellow box and #4 has a link that says Apply online - Click it
5) Click on the link that says International student (it asks to make sure you are eligible to apply online and you can click either domestic or international student - its near the top of page, left hand side, and link you click is in red font)
6) On this page there is a red box on the very left hand side. Applying Online should be highlighted red because thats the page you are on. BUT 5 or 6 arrows underneath that there is a link that says Application Forms - click that
7) Top link middle of page, red lettering says undergraduate application!

I hope you find it! if I confused you or the link doesn't work I can always email the pdf to you as an attachment! just let me know!!

Hi! How is everything going for your move to WA? I am about to apply to Murdoch and was wondering if you might be willing to review my personal statement and CV? I know applications are evaluated at the end of Sept. and at the end of Nov. Do you happen to know if the Nov. deadline is the last for classes beginning in Feb 2013, or is it the Sept. deadline?

I would definitely love to read your stuff to help you!!!! :) NO ONE ELSE HAS SAID THEY ARE APPLYING AND I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW SOMEONE BEFORE I LEAVE!!! :D hahahahah Nov deadline is also to start Feb. 2013! I hope you have a lot of money saved up if you are going to wait till November because the school asks for a $1000AUD deposit to save your seat, then you need to buy your insurance for all 5 years up front and that is about $2,500AUD. Next the visa is about $ 550US (last time I looked), and plane tickets from where I live is like $1,200US. Just given you a heads up because I had no idea!! I havent even applied for my VISA yet because my financial aid hasnt even been approved yet, and I can't get the visa until i can show I have financial capability to support myself! AHH but I email financial aid again today and hopefully she gets back to me soon!

Either PM your stuff or PM and I will you my personal email! :) and if you want I can send my stuff to give you an idea too! :D I'm sooooo excited you are still applying!! YAY

GeekOut4Animals, are you still willing to help? I am trying to apply to Murdoch, but the application is very confusing for me. . . I'm not sure where to start.

I would love to help you apply! Are you going to be applying for the March deadline?? I am leaving today for my first two week vacation!! :) I am going down to Denmark, WA (look it up - so pretty) but apparently cell signal and internet is very scarce to come by! So I can try to help if I have internet or I will be back in Perth around the 22nd or 23rd because classes start on the 24th! But I would seriously love to help you if I can! For my application all I did was print out the application form (not sure if this option is still available or if they want it all online now), then I wrote a personal statement, sent in a very detailed CV (resume), transcripts from even high school and all the college courses and the 3 universities I attended and 4 reference letters. I put that all in the same envelope and sent it off. I also had all my references send me one copy of the reference to me to hold on to as well as a copy I could send to Murdoch! :)