Another "What are my chances?" GPA 3.1 /DAT 26 returning student

hellofuturedentists

2+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2015
Status
Dental Student
Seems like you would have a pretty good shot! If your application is already submitted, you won't be too late. Not sure of what school suggestions to give you, but I'd say apply to schools that are in locations you would like to live.

studentdent00

2+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2014
Hey man, you can't really use the typical "English is my second language" excuse for 19RC when you seem to have lived in the US for almost a decade. Nevertheless, I'd say your EC is unique enough to compensate for your well-below average GPA that it might be worth applying to "high end" schools.

Last edited:
May 24, 2015
Status
Dental Student
I agree with above posts. But Harvard might be a reach. It seems that they do look for significantly high GPA.

tooth knockn

Treat others how you want to be treated
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2012
NY
Status
Pre-Dental
Hi fellas,

I guess my hard work paid off. Just took the DAT yesterday and surprise!
AA 26
TS 26
PAT 22
QR 30
RC 19 (Engrish is my second language)

I almost passed out after seeing my score.

But the problem is my GPA
BCP: 3.0
Science: 3.2
Overall: 3.09

I am in my early 30's and am a returning student with an economics major
I also served the US army as a medic for 4 years

Now..

I did apply to several schools that I initially wanted to apply but I want to try out for some high end schools as well. such as Columbia, Harvard, UCLA, UCSF, Washu or UPENN and was wondering if I had any chance at all. the DAT score was really half unexpected so I never even bothered researching these schools and was curious what you guys have to say!

Thanks in advance!!

P.S Also where would you apply if you were in my shoes? just want to hear what people have to say :)

Qr 30!!!

What is the secret?

Please share....

And I wouldn't worry about your gpa .... BCP is good

Yes it is low, but the dat is so high !!

Very unique situation
Someone will want to learn more about you.

OP
Evistor

Evistor

2+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2014
Thanks for all the comments!

and the reason behind getting 30 on QR.. drumroll..... I'm asian! lol

but honestly the amount of math we do at Korean schools are just unbelievable compared to US standards.

Reactions: gottam

nonociceptors

7+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2012
Status
For LA, SF and UW, my comment depends entirely on your state of residency. If you're in Washinton, apply to all except LA/SF. If you're in CA, apply to all except UW. At least that's what I'd do at this point. Then obviously the rest of the OOS privates and your state schools.

OP
Evistor

Evistor

2+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2014
does it really affect my chances if I am OOS? btw, I am from NJ

I was planning to apply
UCLA, UCSF, Columbia, and UW :-(

nonociceptors

7+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2012
Status
Ni
does it really affect my chances if I am OOS? btw, I am from NJ

I was planning to apply
UCLA, UCSF, Columbia, and UW :-(
I 100% wouldn't apply to UW unless I was a Washington resident. Even with ridiculous stats, OOS admits are really rare. LA and SF for similar reasons but they accept more oos than UW. Those would still be reaches. Columbia doesn't care about residency because it's private. And are you only applying to those schools??

OP
Evistor

Evistor

2+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2014
Ni

I 100% wouldn't apply to UW unless I was a Washington resident. Even with ridiculous stats, OOS admits are really rare. LA and SF for similar reasons but they accept more oos than UW. Those would still be reaches. Columbia doesn't care about residency because it's private. And are you only applying to those schools??
Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll have to cross out UW from my list then..

Also I have applied to 10 additional schools some local and lower DAT schools (this is before I've taken my DAT)

nonociceptors

7+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2012
Status
Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll have to cross out UW from my list then..

Also I have applied to 10 additional schools some local and lower DAT schools (this is before I've taken my DAT)
Oh ok! Well out of those you listed I'd personally go with SF, Columbia and Penn. If you don't mind spending another couple hundred for the app and supplemental fees then add LA and Harvard

KristenD77

Predent
5+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2012
Hi fellas,

I guess my hard work paid off. Just took the DAT yesterday and surprise!
AA 26
TS 26
PAT 22
QR 30
RC 19 (Engrish is my second language)

I almost passed out after seeing my score.

But the problem is my GPA
BCP: 3.0
Science: 3.2
Overall: 3.09

I am in my early 30's and am a returning student with an economics major
I also served the US army as a medic for 4 years

Now..

I did apply to several schools that I initially wanted to apply but I want to try out for some high end schools as well. such as Columbia, Harvard, UCLA, UCSF, Washu or UPENN and was wondering if I had any chance at all. the DAT score was really half unexpected so I never even bothered researching these schools and was curious what you guys have to say!

Thanks in advance!!

P.S Also where would you apply if you were in my shoes? just want to hear what people have to say :)
I'd say you have a pretty solid chance if your LORs and personal statement is good. With that experience I'm sure you could of put together an awesome p.s. I'm envious of your DAT score, what were your studying methods? The only issue is when did you graduate? A lot of schools don't accept the prerequisites if they're more than 5 years old

OrphanageCaretaker

2+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2014
Status
Dental Student
UCLA, UCSF and UW are very OOS unfriendly, chances are slim to none, Harvard wants relatively high DAT AND GPA, Columbia on the other hand would be a good option for a high tier dental school as they favor high DAT scores. Your EC's and DAT are phenomenal, I don't think you should have any trouble getting into a good school of your choice.

Nov 22, 2014
Status
Non-Student
UCLA, UCSF and UW are very OOS unfriendly, chances are slim to none, Harvard wants relatively high DAT AND GPA, Columbia on the other hand would be a good option for a high tier dental school as they favor high DAT scores. Your EC's and DAT are phenomenal, I don't think you should have any trouble getting into a good school of your choice.
I'm going to assume you forgot "not" before OOS friendly. If not, they are only OOS friendly for people in the western alliance. The OP is from NJ. I would say being Asian, his GPA and being from NJ would give him about a .00001% chance of getting into those schools.

The OP has a very, very high chance of admissions at just about every private school in the country and other public schools that have good OOS acceptance rates without limits to residency like Ohio, Maryland, etc.

OrphanageCaretaker

2+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2014
Status
Dental Student
I'm going to assume you forgot "not" before OOS friendly. If not, they are only OOS friendly for people in the western alliance. The OP is from NJ. I would say being Asian, his GPA and being from NJ would give him about a .00001% chance of getting into those schools.

The OP has a very, very high chance of admissions at just about every private school in the country and other public schools that have good OOS acceptance rates without limits to residency like Ohio, Maryland, etc.
Yes sorry, NOT OOS friendly*

PlasmaMembrane

10+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2009
Status
26AA = You are accepted to dental school pretty much no matter what.
Your GPA doesn't matter with that DAT score. Good luck you will be fine!
Not true. Some schools do not care that much about DAT, some put a heavy emphasis on GPA (rather than DAT or in addition to DAT), and some schools have enough competitive applicants that they expect you to excel in all areas - not just one.

OP
Evistor

Evistor

2+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2014
Not true. Some schools do not care that much about DAT, some put a heavy emphasis on GPA (rather than DAT or in addition to DAT), and some schools have enough competitive applicants that they expect you to excel in all areas - not just one.
I've heard this one as well.

Do you know which schools put more weight on GPA or DAT??

willwash

5+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
Yah but I don't think the thrust of that statement was that OP would be golden at ANY dental school.

I think it's fair to say that any 3.X / 25+ will get into *A* dental school.

Jan 19, 2015
I think it's fair to say that any 3.X / 25+ will get into *A* dental school.
Yeah that's what I'm saying. Probably not a ticket into any school, but for sure to at least ONE school. (And probably more, depending on how many schools OP applies to.)