Another... what are my chances.. yay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DralphaOmega

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm almost afraid to ask simply because most people here are in good condition. I don't believe I am one of them -- but I would like to hear the truth and more importantly, can some opinions and recommendations.

First the good news.. at least the not so bad news. My MCAT score is 28. 8P, 8B, 12V. Pretty average on those first two, I think anyways, luckily I can decipher paragraphs like none-other I guess ;) :cool:.

Now the bad news. I have a very ugly cumulative GPA... 2.71, atm with my Science GPA possibly no better. This doesn't even qualify me for some cut-off points in most Med. Schools I believe. Now, there is a small silver lining. A majority of my fantastic GPA comes from my first two years of undergrad. My last four semesters I have gotten ~3.0. Still kind of low, but it sure as hell beats the 2.1 I got for my first freshmen year term. I'd like to think this means something because I am performing well in my higher level sciences, which is all I take now.

My future plans are, atm, well first off to graduate this Fall '05 with hopefully a term GPA of ~3.5 (raising my cum to something still awful like ~2.8 *shrug*) and then take some Post-Bacc classes from Jan-June. The point of the Post-Bacc classes is that I hope to use the GPA I gain from there as what the DO schools consider... or at least see that I am continuing and upward trend of not sucking =p

Starting June, I hope to be starting a Clinical Intership for my MT Degree, which lasts around 10~12 months. So hopefully that will only help bolster the point that I am capable and professionally ready to handle medical school after maturing past my two fun, but academically shattering years of undergrad ^_^;;.

Also, I plan to apply early (AACOMAS opens June 1st for applications, right?) and see what comes of it in any case. There's no bad stigma with applying twice is there?

I know this is a pretty full question and there are a lot of factors to consider, but any good advice is welcome. And of course, I'm pretty new to these threads so if I've missed anything feel free to ask me and I'll provide what I can.

Members don't see this ad.

From my experience, improvement and consistency with a mediocre cum GPA is better than a high GPA with no consistency, although I don't really see how that's actually possible. A high GPA with no consistency just means you scored high grades, but not all at the same time ;)

Anyways, your MCAT is pretty good. Your GPA sucks and needs to come up. Get it 3.0+ and you should be set, as demonstrable improvement should offset a GPA ~ 3.0.

I agree. Most schools won't even send you a secondary without at least a 2.75 GPA in both cumulative and science. Take the post-bacc, get A's, and apply. Just don't take longer than 3 years because your MCAT will expire.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's hope for you...

I had a 2.85 cum and 2.8 BCPM, with a 29 (11P, 11V, 7B) MCAT. I applied to 19 schools, and have gotten 9 firm rejections so far. But I have had 4 interviews and 2 acceptances (LECOM and LECOM-FL). I'll probably be going to LECOM-FL.

There is hope...

you are aware of how retakes change your GPA? If not then read the FAQ. Maybe you can put off your graduation a semester and retake any D's or F's if you had them. Getiing A's in retakes will raise your GPA faster than taking other science courses.

DralphaOmega said:
I'm almost afraid to ask simply because most people here are in good condition. I don't believe I am one of them -- but I would like to hear the truth and more importantly, can some opinions and recommendations.

First the good news.. at least the not so bad news. My MCAT score is 28. 8P, 8B, 12V. Pretty average on those first two, I think anyways, luckily I can decipher paragraphs like none-other I guess ;) :cool:.

Now the bad news. I have a very ugly cumulative GPA... 2.71, atm with my Science GPA possibly no better. This doesn't even qualify me for some cut-off points in most Med. Schools I believe. Now, there is a small silver lining. A majority of my fantastic GPA comes from my first two years of undergrad. My last four semesters I have gotten ~3.0. Still kind of low, but it sure as hell beats the 2.1 I got for my first freshmen year term. I'd like to think this means something because I am performing well in my higher level sciences, which is all I take now.

My future plans are, atm, well first off to graduate this Fall '05 with hopefully a term GPA of ~3.5 (raising my cum to something still awful like ~2.8 *shrug*) and then take some Post-Bacc classes from Jan-June. The point of the Post-Bacc classes is that I hope to use the GPA I gain from there as what the DO schools consider... or at least see that I am continuing and upward trend of not sucking =p

Starting June, I hope to be starting a Clinical Intership for my MT Degree, which lasts around 10~12 months. So hopefully that will only help bolster the point that I am capable and professionally ready to handle medical school after maturing past my two fun, but academically shattering years of undergrad ^_^;;.

Also, I plan to apply early (AACOMAS opens June 1st for applications, right?) and see what comes of it in any case. There's no bad stigma with applying twice is there?

I know this is a pretty full question and there are a lot of factors to consider, but any good advice is welcome. And of course, I'm pretty new to these threads so if I've missed anything feel free to ask me and I'll provide what I can.

I see you live in MI--What school are you graduating from? I got my MT degree from MSU last spring and I know that MSUCOM really weighs lors from it's MT profs heavily since a few of them have taught/have connections at COM...if you graduated from MSU i can let you know which profs used to teach at COM. If you can get great lor's from them it would probably help you out if you apply early.

In Hindsight, I wish I had been an MT major. Human Bio is totally a pain.