Another "what are my chances"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ivo0006

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pretty much my first two years of undergrad were quite mediocre and too much damage had been done to bring the GPA up even with an upward trend. My undergrad GPA ended at 2.9 BCP and 3.01 non science.

I did a one year special masters program and got a 3.5, which was all graduate level science and took my DATs this past fall and got the following scores:
Bio: 21, Org: 19, Gen Chem: 19, TS: 20
RC: 18, QR: 18, AA: 19
PAT: 18

Finished up my masters and have two semesters of Post Bacc classes at a 3.9.
I did apply last cycle, although I was not done with my masters and didn't have the post bacc classes. I also applied pretty late and didn't get any interviews. I should have all my stuff submitted by the 20th this time, how are things looking for me this time around?

Members don't see this ad.

Any other feedback or advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like you've done as much as you can academically and with submitting AADSAS early. Make sure you follow up with AADSAS to see that they get everything that is sent to them and to see that everything is actually sent to them from the sources. You could retake the DAT to push your scores into the eye-popping category. Otherwise, it will likely come down to your ec and personal statement. I would also make sure you have an LOR from a dentist who knows you well from shadowing or working in their office.

You have a "good" DAT score at: 19/20/18. You're applying earlier this time and your GPA is great.

Aside from the letter of rec from a dentist, personal statement, and interview(s) (which I believe you'll be invited to), you should have each of your letters of recommendation show a different side of you. In other words, each person who's writing about you knows you in a different way than another: one bio professor, one chem professor, one dentist, and a community service leader, etc. At least, this is what I did.

I also highly recommend you work at a dental tech company as a dental technician (part-time)...if you can. I wish I would've done that so I could've had a more well-rounded dental experience.

you have a great chance, just keep the faith man and apply to Temple and bug the crap out of B**** H***.:thumbup:

thanks for the tips and advice:) I know my DATs are decent, but is it crucial for me to try to take them again and up the categories a couple of points?

thanks for the tips and advice:) I know my DATs are decent, but is it crucial for me to try to take them again and up the categories a couple of points?

if you really think you can do better, then go for it. from past forums I've seen that the RC section is kinda important, so maybe if you could improve on that score you'd be solid. but it's not crucial... your app as a whole seems pretty good!
good luck!

I'm in a pretty similar situation as the person who started this forum. I have a 3.05 undergrad gpa with a 2.9 bcp. My dat scores are 19/19/19. I am halfway through an MS program with a 4.0 gpa (Taken 4 advanced bio courses) and will be applying by next week, but I just can't decide if I should retake the DAT or not. I really dont have the time or money right now or feel like it would matter that much. I also have lots of EC and have been working as a dental assistant over the past year. Do you guys have any suggestions to help me with my decision of retaking the exam? Thanks in advance for any input.