Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Another 'What do you think?'! With a twist...

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by Schme, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Schme

I don't want to take up your whole night so I'm going to make this as concise as I can.

My current GPA: 3.7
    MCATs: To be determined (But lets say I get an average/decent score)

I was studying business my first year and a half at a university, this is where the twist takes place. I got involved in things that I should not have meddled in and was asked to leave the university for a year and a half. This same incident caused me to have a criminal record, I have a misdemeanor marijuana possession conviction, not just a charge. During my time off I had an epiphany to say the least and have decided to take the Medical School route in education. I have pretty average grades for a person applying for medical school and lets assume that I get an average/decent MCAT score. What are the obstacles that I'm looking at? When I apply for medical school it will be four years since the incident and I'm never going to put myself in a situation that jeopardizes my future again. That short, I'm not going to have any run ins with the law. What do you all think of my situation? Honestly, am I an auto-round-file applicant (trashcan)? Lets say my senior year I will hit a bit of a slump and have my overall GPA lowered to a 3.6, how about then? I am actively involved in my county's free clinic center on breaks from college, and I serve at least 20hrs a week on my schools EMT squad. Just more details to consider. So? How 'bout it?

2. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!!
    Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think your chances would not be that great if you are only average.

Most average applicants do not have this mark against them.

So, why would they pick you over them?

3. Schme

A great interview, or something. There has to be a way. I understand that what I did years ago was against the law and understand that schools want to know as much as they can about their applicants and possible students. Does anyone know of any exceptions? Precedents? That they would like to share? I'm all ears.

4. NeuroChaos

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am no expert in this so take it w/ a grain of salt.....

Yes, u did stupid things in the PAST. Everyone makes mistakes. Simple as that. I am pretty sure a few Doctors/Adcoms did stupid things in their lives. No one is picture perfect. Your mistakes/stupidity should not define u for the rest of ur life.
    I do not think that you should hold your passion for medicine becuase of what u did when u were very little (alright not very little ....but say immature).

The above was just my opinion. I have NOOOOO IDEA NO NO IDEA how medical schools look at this. Contact a specilist for further guidance.

5. Mobius1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    If your only conviction was what you stated above, enough time has passed that it will not effect an admission. If what you've mentioned is only the tip of the iceberg, which I mention because a 1.5 year suspension seems excessive in such a case, I can't be so certain. If you do a search in the pre-allopathic part of this forum, you will find lots of people posting about similiar situations and their outcome. Some have reported med school acceptances after full disclosure of a past drug conviction.

6. MD021

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i heard schools don't run background checks until after they accept you, not sure tho

7. Forthegood

Forthegood ProcrastinationAficionado
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    True, but you have to write off any previous misdemeanors/crimes on the primary, as well as school disciplinary actions. And that is important both for legal and admission purposes.

That being said, if it was just some pot and you've changed your ways, they'll look past that. You don't need a 45 MCAT either, you'll be fine in the mid to upper-mid range.

On the other hand, 1.5 yrs off is a long time for 1 possession charge... define possession.... was it with intent to traffic? Not to pry or anything, you don't have to answer if you don't want, but you also can't expect to get useful advice when we aren't privy to important aspects of the saga...

8. Schme

My school has a minimum 1 year, 2 semester suspension with the possession of any drug in any amount.

I don't mean to defer blame, but my roommate talked me into pitching in for 2.5 ounces of marijuana and what the police found was 2 ounces. Since there was an 'excessive' amount the school decided to add an extra semester to the sentence. And I'm actually not sure if I was convicted of possession with intent to traffic or not, from my knowledge I was convicted of possession. I'll have to call my lawyer to be 100% sure, I hope he remembers me.

9. FutureDrB

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I have a felony conviction too from a few years ago. Not drug related or violent.

It certainly isn't fun having to worry about disclosing it on my application, but I've done so many positive things since I was convicted that I can't imgine any resonable person (or admissions committee) would hold it against me.

So you're not alone... Just do everything in your power to show that you are not the same person you were then.

P.S. - Just got my new job at the hospital today! (even after disclosing my felony conviction)

Never give up!! :thumbup:

10. not so calm now

5+ Year Member

Medical Student

Wow, that's a huge amount of pot. Assuming you can prove there was no intention to distribute, I would imagine you could get some sympathy. Especially since it was just pot, after all. If you are really contrite and don't try to make excuses (just say "It was completely my fault, I messed up, it hasn't and will not happen again" type thing) it wouldn't be an automatic rule out. I know for grad school and job apps there's usually a space to explain any extenuating circumstances.

However, if there's pretty good evidence that you did intend to sell it, that's a whole other story. Recreational marijuana experimenting? Sure, our president even did it. But drug dealer?

But of course disclaimer: I personally know nothing about anyone in a similar situation, so you definitely should talk to someone who does as previously stated.