Another Which Job should I take during my Gap Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imladris

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My first time posting here because I just wanted some advice from you guys.
So I'll be applying for medical this upcoming cycle and wanted to know how I should spend my gap year.

Currently I have an offer for a job to work as a tech at an eye doctors clinic (most of the doctors are OD's and not MD's). I'll get a lot of patient interaction and would be doing a lot of tests on them, but I would mainly be working with optometrists. I'm not sure if I am interested in ophthalmology at this point but it might be a possibility.

The other job I am currently waiting for is a medical scribe position.

My dilemma is that I have to let the eye place know before I hear back from the scribe position and was wondering what I should do. I'm just worried working at an optometrists office wouldn't be considered clinical hours and medical schools would rather have someone who scribed. The scribe position pays more but honestly I'm just doing this for experience in the healthcare setting.

Any advice would be appreciated :)! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You mean DO*, should get that down before applying to med school...
Secondly working as a tech at an optometrist is most definitely clinical experience.

Are you sure you will get the scribe job? Seems silly to turn down a job for a potential job that doesn't seem 100%
I would go with the sure thing, and whichever pays well because they are both clinical experience

Yeah the scribe position isn't a sure thing... And pay is pretty similar. Thanks for the info I wasn't sure if working as a tech would be considered clinical.

Also, I actually meant OD, I think that's the degree that optometrists actually get, not an MD or DO. Not a 100% sure though

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ohhh I see, sounds good! Def still clinical. Good luck!

I would do the OD job, then if I get the scribe job, try and do both. If you cannot do both, do the scribe job and quit the OD job but give them 2 weeks notice and leave on good terms.

Reactions: 1 user