ucladoc2b

10+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Hi everyone:

I am applying to med school for fall 2008. I am a reapplicant.

My stats are as follows:

Gpa 3.7 BCPM 3.6
MCAT P11 V10 WSN B12 (first one was 11p,8v,11b=30Q)

State: CA

Graduated UCLA 2006: Major: Poli Sci, Minor: Accounting

White, Male

ECs:

-2 years EMT. Ran over 1000 911 calls.
-1 year health policy thesis research with grant, conference presentation (at UCLA), and dean's prize (10 awarded amongst 100 presentations or so) (LOR)
-2 years fundrasing for school, elevation to manager for 1 year
-Red cross disaster volunteer (3 years): deployed to several major disasters where my team oversaw the health needs of evacuees. Most recently deployed to Texas and Alabama for Hurricanes Ike and Gustav
-Currently EMR and CPOE implementation consultant leading client hospitals in workflow design, custom system configuration, and clinical integration of new EMR systems (LOR).
-6 months advising task groups charged with advising CA Secretary of Health on patient privacy regulations in a state wide integrated electronic health info exchange. (better description: docs can access health information from several hospitals electronically to share lab, medication, imaging, clinical data). Completed our portion of report and forwarded to Secretary for inclusion in future legislation.
-Fun: Skiier, fitness buff, trying to get my private pilot certificate currently

I would post my PS here. Was read by several physicians and was well recieved.

Verified mid August. Secondaries Completed: 8/15-10/15

LORs:
O Chem Professor (knew pretty well, got As in both classes, did not see the letter)
Bio Professor (saw the letter, was good)
Current Boss (very strong letter)
Thesis advisor (very strong letter)

Rejected: UCSF, UCI (which actually gave me an interview last year), Georgetown, BU, Rochester, Case Western

No word (secondaries recieved): UCD, UCSD, WFU, Loyola, UCLA, USC, Tulane, Cornell, Harvard, SLU, Penn State, Temple, Drexel, AECOM, NYMC, OHSU, UMiami (I think that's it)

Interview: Wash U (of all places)

I am concerned that I haven't gotten any more interviews besides the one. I thought that I was a pretty good applicant, but apparently not as strong as I had hoped.

I am really frusterated at this point. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for all of your help.

Last edited:

stixx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
When did you apply last year, and what was the outcome (interviews, waitlists?)

What is on your app this year that wasn't there last time around?

OP
U

ucladoc2b

10+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2008
Status
Medical Student
When did you apply last year, and what was the outcome (interviews, waitlists?)

What is on your app this year that wasn't there last time around?
Last year, I was waitlisted at UCI and Wash U.

My primary was completed in July of last year. Secondaries in August.

This year, I apllied with the higher MCAT (3 points is about 17 percent difference), and after some advice, really tried to make my activities shine as this I feel is where I have the best chance of standing out.

Thanks for all of the encouragement.

Jbirdy

10+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
I empathize with you ucladoc2b. My stats are very similar to yours (3.7 BCPM, 3.7 overall, 33 MCAT) and I have not received much love from the golden state. Our LizzyM score is 71ish and according to the selection spreadsheet we should be in the running for most of the California schools. I guess since we applied a little on the late side we are just going to have to wait this one out... checking gmail at rate comparable to ATP production. Good luck!