another worried premed student about EC....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

korea111

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello, any comments would be greatly appreciated! I'm mostly worried about my ECs...because from reading many other posts...other people seem to have so many activities like being published or being an EMT... so please let me know where i stand.

I am a Korean male (21 yrs) junior
GPA: little above 3.7, science GPA: little below 3.7
MCATs: taking in May (starting to study my ass off..)
EC: (where i am worried about)
-Traveled to Kazakhstan for 3 weeks with church for volunteer work (about 300 hrs spent volunteering) - Team Leader
-Traveled to Pittsburgh for a week for house-building volunteer work - Team Leader
-going to Honduras for medical brigade for a week
-paid internship at Pfizer Animal Health one summer (even though it was veterinarian related, i still studied medicines and analyzed medical cases, attended lots of parasitology seminars...etc)
-shadowed 2 physicians (about 70 hrs total)-LOR from one of them
-volunteered at a local clinic during one summer (200 to 250 hrs)
-volunteering at local hospital now (by the time i apply i will have about 150 hrs)
-1 research for about yr and 3 months (ecological biology)
-1 research about clinical psychology (7 months)
-just bunch of volunteering at school clubs (Red Cross, bio club) part of pre med honor fraternity... the usual

Also, I worked one summer as construction assistance one summer (hardest thing i ever did...but very helpful experience). My pfizer doctor was very interested in this job so I was wondering if this would be worth putting on the med school application?

thank you so much for all the comments! i am getting very worried as applying time is approaching...

Members don't see this ad.

Your extracurricular activities are above average. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Even better, some of them sound interesting and unique. Without knowing what you learned or how you were stretched by the construction job, I can't comment on whether it is worth listing, but it is a bit different from the usual summer jobs I see mentioned on SDN.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your EC's sound great, but don't neglect the significance of your application essays in portraying what you've learned and gained through those experiences. It seems like there are so many people who think a good list of EC's is enough--in reality, how you incorporate it into your stories describing your life and "why medicine?" is going to be just as, if not more, important.

-just bunch of volunteering at school clubs (Red Cross, bio club) part of pre med honor fraternity... the usual

Nonono I hate it when people do that. If you want to get advice on your chances PLEASE fully include relevant information. My idea of the usual and your idea of the usual may be very different.

That said...your ECs are above average.

you have really good ECs. Now all you have to do is weave some of them together in your PS to paint a picture of yourself. good luck

hello, any comments would be greatly appreciated! I'm mostly worried about my ECs...because from reading many other posts...other people seem to have so many activities like being published or being an EMT... so please let me know where i stand.

I am a Korean male (21 yrs) junior
GPA: little above 3.7, science GPA: little below 3.7
MCATs: taking in May (starting to study my ass off..)
EC: (where i am worried about)
-Traveled to Kazakhstan for 3 weeks with church for volunteer work (about 300 hrs spent volunteering) - Team Leader
-Traveled to Pittsburgh for a week for house-building volunteer work - Team Leader
-going to Honduras for medical brigade for a week
-paid internship at Pfizer Animal Health one summer (even though it was veterinarian related, i still studied medicines and analyzed medical cases, attended lots of parasitology seminars...etc)
-shadowed 2 physicians (about 70 hrs total)-LOR from one of them
-volunteered at a local clinic during one summer (200 to 250 hrs)
-volunteering at local hospital now (by the time i apply i will have about 150 hrs)
-1 research for about yr and 3 months (ecological biology)
-1 research about clinical psychology (7 months)

Also, I worked one summer as construction assistance one summer (hardest thing i ever did...but very helpful experience). My pfizer doctor was very interested in this job so I was wondering if this would be worth putting on the med school application?

thank you so much for all the comments! i am getting very worried as applying time is approaching...

At this point worry about MCAT, not EC's. I know plenty of people with pages of great EC's who got bad MCATs and are still trying to get in... You got your ECs already so get on the Mkitten :D